Sun Princess Northern Australia cruise, 29 June 2017 - shocked at few excursion opti

Hi Cruiselings,

We are booked on this northern Australia cruise on Sun Princess in June.

I know I should have checked first but I recently looked at the list of excursions available and was shocked at how few options there were. For example Brisbane, there are 5 excursions. Then there are a bunch of 'by private van' tours costing over $1,000 each. No excursions to the theme parks except Australia Zoo. Surely there are more things to do in Brisbane also?

In Darwin, 8 excursion not too bad.

In Broome, 4 excursions.

In Geraldton, 3 excursions.

Has anyone done this cruise? If so do they add more excursions closer to sailing?

I will have to check the excursions list before I book in future....

I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yeah I know..... just don't know what we'll do there then.....

There is quite a nice little museum there.

http://museum.wa.gov.au/museums/museum-of-geraldton

There's the HMAS Sydney memorial. There are the Abrolhos Islands by air (pricey). There's even an art gallery, but the top attraction for me would be the museum of tins.

Geralton was great. Make sure you go to the HMAS Sydney Memorial and the museum. We didn't book a tour . Used the shuttle bus, quite cheap. Volunteers were at the Memorial to explain the sinking of the Sydney. Very moving.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are doing the next northern explorer that leaves after yours on the sea princess on the 2nd Sept. With Brisbane Bretts wharf is a short walk from the Portside terminal where you can get the city cat into the city or alternatively we will just get the shuttle into the CBD.

Unsure what we will do in Cairns - for Alotau we will probably just get the shuttle to the festival site for a couple of hours and then get it back as far as the town centre and walk back to the ship.

I've got my eye on the Litchfield park ship excursion at Darwin but otherwise unsure what we will do there.

For Broome and Geraldton we will just go ashore and see what happens.

This trip has been on the bucket list for awhile and one we are looking forward to.

We are doing the next northern explorer that leaves after yours on the sea princess on the 2nd Sept. With Brisbane Bretts wharf is a short walk from the Portside terminal where you can get the city cat into the city or alternatively we will just get the shuttle into the CBD.

Unsure what we will do in Cairns - for Alotau we will probably just get the shuttle to the festival site for a couple of hours and then get it back as far as the town centre and walk back to the ship.

I've got my eye on the Litchfield park ship excursion at Darwin but otherwise unsure what we will do there.

For Broome and Geraldton we will just go ashore and see what happens.

This trip has been on the bucket list for awhile and one we are looking forward to.

I think Cairns is a tender port, other than that, do you know of any others that are tender ports?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was in Alotau last July and went to the "festival". It's basically a christian trade school where the pupils put on a song and dance. I wouldn't put myself out to see it again.

About halfway to the school there was a very interesting looking market in a parking lot, but it was raining and the bus didn't stop there.

I'm not sure I would be doing much walking around in Alotau. Stay in a group if you do.

I think Cairns is a tender port, other than that, do you know of any others that are tender ports?
We did the round trip on the Sun Princess last year.

Cairns visit, expect a docking IN Cairns itself (http://www.portsnorth.com.au/our-ports/cruise-arr-dep.php - open the 2017 cruise ship schedule pdf). Your cruise is listed as a port docking. Our visit to Cairns on Sun was a port docking too. The only tenders for us were Whitsunday and Margret River (Busselton). Geraldton was not a port we stopped at so no idea what the go is there.

Darwin: Princess were selling tickets for a shuttle to the city centre which were a rip off. Hope they have changed/re-priced it. The shuttle tickets were $8 one way or $15 return. Compare to $10 for a taxi to city centre (4 in the taxi). Or walk 10 minutes (along water front, through Darwin Waterfront complex, use lift, across walk bridge then straight along Smith street to Information Centre.

In Darwin, we just bought a ticket for the 'Hop on Hop off' bus. Note: Purchasing the Hop on Hop off bus ticket was cheaper from the Hop on Hop off Rep that was near the bus stop, rather than buying from the tourist information kiosk. And, if you go the Ho Ho bus, it takes a long time to do the full loop. Work out what you think you would like to visit and make sure you get off first time. We stopped at the Museum and Art Gallery of NT. There is also the Darwin Military Museum. Note also, the Ho Ho bus does a stop at the port gate (which is last stop before finishing the full loop - ending city centre).

Broome. Yes there was not too many excursions for Broome. Then again, there is not much to do in Broome period. Be aware that the camel rides book out early. If that is your thing, book real early through the ship excursion. I actually tried booking a camel ride privately, but that was a fail cause seemed the Camel Operators were all pre-booked with Princess.

Our cruise didn't have Geraldton as a stop so can't help there.

Not many excursions, but they're good. You have to remember that in north western Australia distances are incredible. To some people incomprehensible. I'd like to add a little personal experience to help you make your choices.

Geraldton is a lovely town within walking distance of the wharf (tender port). The art gallery is small but interesting even if you're not into art. The museum is worth a visit and there are plenty of wonderful cafes and jewellery shops selling the black pearls from the Abrolhos Islands. Don't miss the cathedral and the HMAS Sydney Memorial overlooking the town. It's actually quite emotional being up there.

If you have the money to spend I would recommend the excursion to Kalbarri National Park. The park is quite unique because it has two parts - an incredible dramatic coastline with heaps of blow holes and gorges, and an inland section overlooking the river that includes a reasonably well known rock formation called 'window on the world'. In wildflower season it's incredible.

Broome is famous for the beautiful long stretch of Cable Beach and the camels. Cable Beach is about 10 mins from the heart of Broome but it's easy to spend the day there. Don't forget your hat and sunscreen. The sun up here cooks all year round.

Broome itself has a terrific pearling museum and heaps of art galleries, pearl outlets of course and a strong coffee culture these days. Don't miss Gantheaum Point with it's dinosaur footprints and the Japanese pearl diver section of the cemetery. Ted Egan wrote a song you may know called 'Sayonara Nakamura' about these 'brave men.

The Willy Creek Pearl Farm excursion is wonderful if you're interested in the pearling industry. It may have changed but I think you have to go on an excursion whether you travel independently or with a group.

There's a lot to see and do in Darwin. Don't miss the Milky Way mosaic on the floor in the Supreme Court. The Cyclone Tracey exhibit at the Museum and the incredible Parliament House.

Litchfield National Park has wonderful waterfalls and swimming holes but only in the dry season when they can guarantee no crocodiles have been washed into the waterways during the wet season.

The jumping crocodiles at Adelaide River are lots of fun and the tropical scenery and birdlife make this a fun excursion for nature lovers.

Hope this gives you a bit more information about the excursions. There's actually a fairly good choice considering the tyranny of distance :)