Diving Ponta Delgada Azores

Blondie008

Anyone ever gone diving from the ship in the Azores?

Yes, there's a good wreck dive there, the Dori (originally the Liberty Ship Edwin L. Drake). It came into port there damaged in 1964, and was towed just out of the port, as it was obviously going to sink, and they didn't want it in the harbor.

Emmanuel at Azores diving can get you all set. The shop is walking distance (maybe half a mile) from the dock. http://www.azoresdiving.com/Acordiving/Home_EN.html

Harris

Denver, CO

Harris thank you!!

I communicated with one of the dive companies FB page yesterday - as I was concerned about water temps. But they say in May its around 20 degrees and they have 7mm wetsuits -

I have only just been certified (in caymans in January so I am buzzing !!) - and they have told me that's fine, they will adapt the dive for me accordingly

I think the only thing I am concerned about is the dive boats all seem to be small boats? Was that your experience? I haven't done a "backward roll" - although hey - whats the worse can happen - I blunder it and end up in the water lol?

I wont dive here in Scotland - I just don't fancy the dry suit diving with all that seaweed and grey - But there is a PADI centre in the city so I am going to go there probably at least once every 8 weeks - just to keep myself active and my skills sharp.

Thanks for the lead - perhaps the same company that I have communicated with.

If the company you have gone diving with is only a short walk away makes sense to go with them!

THANK YOU!!

How deep is that dive Harris? Okay for a novice?

I am only OW certified so 60feet I think is my max? Although with an instructer am I right in saying I can go further?

I so love it - I am on a high just now - cannot calm down - my whole being wants to get back in the water again!

I am being cautious however and am making sure the dive company know that I am only just certified - my last dive was ALL fun - well aside from removal of all my gear and replace (that was a doddle!) my last dive was just 100% thrill - It was a bit like learning to drive ( a manual!!) where all of a sudden everything just falls into place, and everything works - But that's the only one dive I had without skills etc. Every dive beforehand was my certification skills completion. So I am a total novice - but so proud of that wee card!!

ALL these years, I have been all over the world - and missed out. Many years in Egypt and Africa - where it is now not safe to return to - and all those times I have seen people going diving and thought "nah not for me". Also many years as a Sandals vacations guest, where two dives per day were free - I want to rewind the clock lol!!

How deep is that dive Harris? Okay for a novice?

I am only OW certified so 60feet I think is my max? Although with an instructer am I right in saying I can go further?

I so love it - I am on a high just now - cannot calm down - my whole being wants to get back in the water again!

I am being cautious however and am making sure the dive company know that I am only just certified - my last dive was ALL fun - well aside from removal of all my gear and replace (that was a doddle!) my last dive was just 100% thrill - It was a bit like learning to drive ( a manual!!) where all of a sudden everything just falls into place, and everything works - But that's the only one dive I had without skills etc. Every dive beforehand was my certification skills completion. So I am a total novice - but so proud of that wee card!!

ALL these years, I have been all over the world - and missed out. Many years in Egypt and Africa - where it is now not safe to return to - and all those times I have seen people going diving and thought "nah not for me". Also many years as a Sandals vacations guest, where two dives per day were free - I want to rewind the clock lol!!

I was there in May (May 13 to be precise) of 2012. The water temp that day was 18C/64F. The wet suits provided were plenty thick. They do have a RIB (Zodiac style boat). I understand your concern never having done a back roll entry, but you'll realize after you've done it, you were worried about nothing. I tell students to sit on the edge of your bed and then lay back. That is exactly the maneuver you'll need to make a back roll for a RIB, since the sides are soft and round. On a regular boat, there's a little more technique as you have to sort of kick up as you go over, in order to avoid banging the backs of you legs on the edge of the boat. For most people, once they do the back roll, it becomes their favorite way. The problem is there's no good way to practice it in a pool, so people worry a little about it.

According to my log book, the depth was 20 meters +/-, so right at 60 feet. There were no issues (at least that day) with current, and visibility was decent at about 35 feet.

It's a common belief, particularly among those who've done a PADI course - but incorrect - that an open water diver is restricted to 60 feet. It comes from the fact that training standards restrict the open water certification dives to 60 feet max (40 feet on the first two). Some instructors leave their students with the understanding that this is as deep as they are "allowed" to dive. The fact is the standards make no such restriction. The facts are: by definition a diver deeper than 60 feet is considered a "Deep Dive"; open water students are "encouraged" to stay at or above a "recreational diving maximum depth" of 100 feet. The only hard limit is 130 feet/40 meters. That is the limit of no-decompression diving. Dives with decompression stops are technical diving, and thus beyond your training. So in short, with your Open Water Certification, you're "allowed" to dive beyond 60 feet. A Deep Diving course is worth while, and you'd likely both enjoy it and learn new information. But it's not strictly necessary. Now some operators, may require a specialty certification before taking a diver on a particular dive, but that's their policy, not some over-arching rule.

I strongly recommend developing a plan of specialty courses with your local dive shop, and instructor. That way you can get more training in the areas that interest you, and keep diving, while you gain knowledge and skills to complement your diving experience; and build a solid relationship with your local source for training. I encourage every open water diver to set a goal of Master Diver. That rating requires completion of 4 specialty courses (the full course, not just the single familiarization dives) plus Rescue Diver/Stress & Rescue, and a total of 50 logged dives. Obviously that isn't going to happen overnight, but it's a very reasonable long-term goal.

The first courses I usually recommend are Navigation, Nitrox, Deep Diving and Wreck Diving. Navigation is a building block for your knowledge, and most other specialty courses have a navigation component. Having that skill will serve you well, and it can be a lot of fun. Nitrox certification is required to dive using Nitrox, and many places - particularly resorts - offer Nitrox free to those certified. If you have the course in advance, you'll pay less for it, and generally get a better course than if you do it on the spot. In the Nitrox course you will learn how to track your body's up-take of oxygen, and this will also enhance your understanding of how you're tracking nitrogen in every dive; giving you a better understanding of the physiology of every dive. Deep and Wreck are fun courses, and will give you more knowledge, thus comfort and confidence, for those dives, and prevent some dive operator from telling you a dive requires their deep or wreck course they want to sell you on the spot.

Harris

Denver, CO

www.divessi.com/pro/64612

Harris WOW thank you - this is amazing information thank you so much for taking the time to go into such detail for me.

I absolutely will "take heed"!

Cannot thank you enough, so kind of you!

I think I can cope with the backward roll. It took me a full 25 minutes in 2015 to take the "giant stride" off the boat during my DSD. I am now known forevermore in Little Cayman as the "girl who took 25 minutes to get off the boat!",,

I have watched some youtubes (maybe a bad idea!) - your input is so valuable and very much appreciated.

I will be there May 7th - for sure I will come back and let you know how it goes. Hopefully with some photos too!

Navigation for me would be great - I am not sure how I passed my compass skills - think I winged it and got lucky! Hey - I know what a lubber line is now hah!

I will go to the PADI centre in Scotland and see what they have to offer which doesn't involve getting into the Lochs or sea - Its just too cold and grey here -

I live in the southern coast and there is a local BSAC club - but I really don't feel ready for that kind of thing yet - or if ever, we shall see.

Thank you for everything - so much appreciated!

B :)