Is Oslo pass worth the $ 50 pp

TeanneTX

We are only going to be in Oslo for one day from 7 am to 5 pm and I am wondering if the Oslo 24 hr pass will be worth the $ 100 for the 2 of us. We're not big art people and really only interested in seeing the museums about the viking ships. And I hear you can't even get your pass until 9 am so we lose 2 hrs already. I know things are very pricey in Norway and was just wondering if you think its beneficial. Thanks

Teanne

If you're only going to visit one or two museums, it's probably not worth it. Instead you can buy a 24-hour transit pass at a convenience store (if you dock near the city hall, there's a 7-11 behind) and just pay the individual museum admissions. Note that while the transit pass covers all public transit in the city (bus, tram, metro, train, ferries), the ferry to Bygdøy is now privately operated, so you would either need to buy a separate boat ticket or take the Bus #30 instead.

It wouldn't be worth it if you only wanted to go to the Viking Ship Museum. If you want to see more of Oslo consider the hop on hop off bus. It is about $34/pp and gives a nice overview and your ticket provides a decent discount on admission to most of the museums (including the Viking ship museum). Also has a stop right by Vigelands sculpture park (which is free). It stops right by cruise ship dock and has stops for all the major sites so you don't have to figure out bus schedules, etc.

I'm not really a big fan of the HOHO bus, because it runs so infrequently (once every 30 minutes). A 24-hour transit pass is only 90 NOK (compared to 300 for the bus pass), and a lot of the routes to the tourist sites run on 10-minute intervals or more frequently. Seems like you'd need to pay even more attention to the HOHO bus schedule, since it would be a shame to miss it and have to wait around for half an hour. For buses like the #30 that stops in front of the city hall and the Viking Ship museum, I typically just show up and then grumble to myself if I have to wait more than 5 minutes! :)

Note that while the transit pass covers all public transit in the city (bus, tram, metro, train, ferries), the ferry to Bygdøy is now privately operated, so you would either need to buy a separate boat ticket or take the Bus #30 instead.

Is this very new - as both the Ferry and Oslo Pass websites still say it is covered??

What are you planning to do? There are tons of museums other than just the Viking Ship museum. Average museum entrance fees are $12-24 (US), so if you plan to go to more than 2-3 and/or take public transit, it is probably worth it.

I would caution you about the HOHO bus in Oslo. Check out reviews on TripAdvisor. Pretty bad.

Is this very new - as both the Ferry and Oslo Pass websites still say it is covered??

It is still covered by the Oslo Pass. It is no longer part of the city transit system and is therefore not covered by the regular Ruter transit pass.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a senior citizen Oslo pass available for half that price. If you meet that criteria, the pass is a good deal and you can buy it at the first big shop located on the pier. We used it extensively for the museums as well as the ferry last September.