Italian media reports suspected murder on board MSC ship

hawkeyetlse

Did they believe you when you said you were at the drill? This is why, if I remember to, I try to take a selfie of us at the drill, in case we have to prove we were there.

But the security system at the muster drill is clearly not the same as the system they use for scanning people on and off the ship. They are a lot more careful about the latter, because the stakes are higher. At the muster drill, the people handling the scanning are not security staff, they use hand-held wireless scanners, they don't set up barriers to make sure everyone gets scanned, and I don't think they do a head count of the people present, or call out names looking for missing people. All of this makes it relatively easy for people to get overlooked, or for mistakes to be made, or for data to be lost. But the worst that can happen is that you get wrongly accused of skipping the drill.

On the other hand, if there is a discrepancy in the records of passengers getting on and off the ship, that is a major headache and potentially indicates a serious problem (as it seems to have done in this case). So they have to be a lot more careful about getting that right, and I don't think that your experience with the muster drill can be taken to be indicative of a general security problem on MSC.

They had no record of the wife leaving the ship, so they had to call the police. If the police had intercepted the family at the airport, and the wife was there, safe and sound, that would have been an embarrassing and no doubt costly incident for MSC.

I query MSC's security system anyway. We had our cards scanned for the safety drill we attended on tbe first day. Next day we received a notice from msc summoning us to attend the safety drill. Their scanning machine obviously didnt work.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Forums mobile app

Trust me, the system works. Otherwise, you would see a lot of people sneaking onto a cruise ship for a free cruise.

• 1 year later...

The husband was released in April. Not sure what to think.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/2488724/cruise-ship-murder-suspect-daniel-belling-says-he-feels-born-again-as-hes-freed-from-italian-prison-after-judges-hear-his-missing-wife-told-tusla-she-was-fed-up-with-life-in-dublin-and-wanted/

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...