Group Sale - any downside?

garnet115

I used the bidding website for a GS room on Anthem and got a spectacular offer - signficantly cheaper than anyone else is offering. The agent says it is a "special group price." It seems too good to be true, but I've researched and both the agent and agency are highly rated. Assuming the offer is legit, what is the downside of booking as part of a group? I've always booked individual reservations. Feeling a little nervous about this, so may pass on it altogether, but wanted to get insight from the CC hive.

We booked our reservation with my parents and cousin-so 3 rooms total with TA. When my cousin officially booked our balcony room was about $1900 and the TA said she can do group booking which will block other rooms and our price dropped to $1600 bc of this. I asked if there was any penalty for those other blocked room not being fulfilled by us and she said nope they can use them for anyone else who may be interested that calls them or will release them back when we get closer. I was skeptical too about it but after she explained it made sense. Just one of the perks I guess of using TA!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I used the bidding website for a GS room on Anthem and got a spectacular offer - signficantly cheaper than anyone else is offering. The agent says it is a "special group price." It seems too good to be true, but I've researched and both the agent and agency are highly rated. Assuming the offer is legit, what is the downside of booking as part of a group? I've always booked individual reservations. Feeling a little nervous about this, so may pass on it altogether, but wanted to get insight from the CC hive.

The potential downsides that come to mind:

Full deposit required

Inability to link dining with others outside the group (not an issue if you want My Time)

Travel agent policies (cancel fee, change fee, price drops, etc.)

The agent says it is a "special group price." It seems too good to be true,
It's not :D. I specifically ask for sailings that my TA has with this option all the time. My current Explorer and Jewel b2b sailings are all "group" pricing. The coolest thing is I am able to pick any cabin I want currently in RCL's inventory when booking at the group rate.
The potential downsides that come to mind:Full deposit required

Inability to link dining with others outside the group (not an issue if you want My Time)

Yup, these come to mind plus one more thing.... my TA has final payment 120 days prior to sailing.

In my humble opinion the deposit/full payment is a non-issue... you will collect 0% in the bank for your extra couple of hundred bucks, I normally travel solo or as a couple so linking is a non-issue, and I've never ever had an issue changing cabins/getting price drops/upgrading/or being called by RCL through my TA for an upsell. Like you've already said the value is fantastic and the obc's/free dinners/perks they offer on top of it are great as well. Enjoy your cruise! :D

I also booked a "group" room with a TA for the first time, but didn't realize until just recently. I can't register for our Meet and Mingle but have been told I will eventually. We are a little under 90 days out. The room price was incredible and well worth the inconvenience!! But just a heads up as to a negative about a "group" booking. As soon as the TA gives the unsold rooms back (closer to sailing), we should be able to register without any problems.

I haven't had any problems using my cruise planner, buying what I want or making any reservations.

Have a great cruise. I know we will!!

The potential downsides that come to mind:Full deposit required

If you do a group booking you can't collect the OBC for bringing a friend. :mad:

That really pissed me off, but I did get free gratuities from the TA, so it's one of those cut off your nose to spite your face kind of things.

If you do a group booking you can't collect the OBC for bringing a friend. :mad: That really pissed me off, but I did get free gratuities from the TA, so it's one of those cut off your nose to spite your face kind of things.

Good point, forgot about that one.

We are under a group booking with our July Liberty sailing but do have our individual booking #'s so are able to register for the M&M. If you have a problem registering, ask for your individual booking #.

It kept saying "Only those with purchased reservations may register for the M&M". When I looked it up under the CC Search, it mentioned groups bookings wouldn't be able to register until the TA gave the unused cabins back.

However, I was finally able to register for the M&M today after having tried for the last two weeks. Have no clue but it worked today.

Good points listed above already: having to pay full deposit even though RCCL is offering reduced deposits at the time, not being able to request the referral bonus OBC for bringing RCCL new customers.

Those are the main two I can think of. I have managed to book more than 8 cabins in a group myself several times and have had very few issues. I have one booked for next March on the Navigator that is less than half the price that RCCL is offering it for currently. The only other issue we had was that the travel agency only books certain types of cabins. I requested a special type of cabin (panoramic outside) and they did not have them in their allotted block of cabins. They priced it out and it was the exact same price as booking it directly through RCCL itself. So in other words, cabin selections are limited to the cabins they block off for their group when they make the initial booking.