Royal Caribbean Adding Lifeguards, Water Safety Signage to All Cruise Ships

LauraS

I think that this is a good thing. We have a pool and always watch our children closely when they are in it at home and on vacation - but in the event something did happen - I would appreciate having a CPR trained lifeguard present to help me. Minutes and seconds matter in those situations and that alone could be a difference maker.

Looking forward to seeing how this works on Liberty in April. One challenge I had on our last cruise was finding a place to sit/watch my kids near the pool. I hope that it's easier to find a place to watch them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I seem to remember some pools being open late at night (possibly all night?). Since the article states "At least one lifeguard will be stationed at every pool (including the Solarium) during all open hours", I presume this means there will either be a lifeguard stationed late at night, or that pool hours will be reduced.

I think this is a good idea and applaud RC for doing this. My adult kids are excellent swimmers, former lifeguards from high school and college, and the number of unaccompanied kids at pools on ships and land has always bothered them and is an ongoing problem. My kids are usually in the pool or sitting on the pool edge with their own kids - they know what can happen.

I hate to be a cynic, but I truly hope RC gives the lifeguards the control they absolutely need and should have. In too many other situations RC doesn't enforce their own rules for fear of offending someone.

I agree with others that have posted concerns about the lifeguards being empowered. I really hope they are! The ones at Disney resorts certainly are empowered - I would like to see the same level here. No running, no jumping, not playing without a guardian etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I seem to remember some pools being open late at night (possibly all night?). Since the article states "At least one lifeguard will be stationed at every pool (including the Solarium) during all open hours", I presume this means there will either be a lifeguard stationed late at night, or that pool hours will be reduced.

I am worried about the same thing. With lifeguards, the pool hours may be limited, which would be wrong. I can see them in the daytime up until maybe 8 pm, but there should still be one pool and hot tub open for those of us who like to use themlate at night.