Azura Caribbean 17th March - questions

Ukulele girl

At last I have booked a cruise following some difficult family times and look forward to the break. Have cruised before on Aurora and with Cunard. Some questions about this one and would like the lovely Cruise Critic posters help please.

Flying from Birmingham (no idea how we will get there as we live in Hampshire but all London flights booked) and wondered what the baggage allowance will be?

How will we get from the airport to the ship in Barbados? Travel time?

How will I find an inside cabin in terms of space?

Any advice on best place to settle down to read on sea days?

Any other advice on getting the best out of Azura?

Thank you in advance for replies - can't wait to escape and have some me time after loss of mother, supporting son and wife through difficult birth (of beautiful granddaughter), gas leaks, under floor central heating pipe leaks and of course the winter!

Yes - you need a cruise!

Once you get to Birmingham airport you can relax. Your luggage goes away and you'll next see it outside your cabin. Make sure you pack sunglasses and sandals in your hand luggage, so you can get in Caribbean mode immediately. Barbados airport to the ship is simple. Straight from the plane to the bus, no immigration, short journey, hopefully a short queue for processing and onto Azura ... now you're really on holiday!

Inside cabin - not a lot of space but a large open wardrobe area, which helps

Read in the Planet Bar, deck 18, or the (very small) library, deck 5

Enjoy!

Hi

A fleet of small buses will be waiting in Barbados when you arrive - you don't need to collect your luggage as it goes directly to the ship or even go into the terminal. You just walk to the buses so it's quite a quick process getting underway. They always say it's a 45 minute transfer but in our experience it generally takes more like 30 minutes or even less depending on the traffic.

We find the inside cabin perfectly adequate for space and storage isn't bad either. After all in the Caribbean, you don't really want to be spending too much time inside!

The Planet Bar is often very quiet on sea days for reading although we don't find the seats too comfortable. The Blue Bar is quite comfortable though and some settle there to read. We're not into baking in the sun so also sit on the promenade deck in the shade.

We find it good to plan out your evening especially if you're keen to see a performance in Malabar or Manhattan. It's worth getting there a bit early as seating can be at a premium for a popular act.

The speciality restaurants are good and worth trying out too but we found the mdr fare and service very good last month.

Have a wonderful time you really need it! :)

Thank you for the helpful replies. I have just checked the train possibilities and it would work but is very expensive. My son (with new daughter) sometimes has to work in Birmingham so tomorrow I will ask him to look at his diary and hope he can work a meeting into his schedule for the 17th March! I love it when a plan comes together.

Hi sounds like you need a cruise.

Luggage allowance is all shown in your cruise personalised. It shows you everything you need to know.

You go into P&O website then, your cruise, you will see cruise personaliser on the right. You need your cruise ref

It will help you loads.

Also suggest you join FB group.

There is P&O cruise Caribbean. Friendly and helpful

Plus a meet is arranged for first sea day Planet Bar 11am get to see chat to all and Captain and a few of his staff

Sorted the travel and have now checked cruise personaliser. Travel is easiest by one way hire car, cost with Hertz is £65, much cheaper than taxi, train, hotel, bus or any other way (including son) so that means we are on our own time scale and not dependent on others at any point.

Thanks again and any other information about Azura would be helpful. Husband is already worrying about size of the ship! I have reminded him that means more choice for eating!

We were on Azura in the Caribbean last February. We loved her, despite being one of the larger ships it never felt crowded. Despite what we read in reviews, we always found sunbeds on sea days. We didn't want to be round the pools, which were always busy, and found some lovely spots. There were always quiet spots in the various lounges as well. We don't use the buffet, just prefer the main dining rooms which were never busy. We loved her so much we have two more cruises booked, roll on May. Enjoy.