Free upgrade question

hightownCO

Have you ever passed on an upsell offer and then later received a free upgrade?

Just curious if that's happened on occasion. I received an upsell offer to a balcony from obstructed OV earlier this week but it was no special deal for me. Could have initially booked a balcony at that price and chose not to. But still hoping for a surprise upgrade. Does it happen?

Have you ever passed on an upsell offer and then later received a free upgrade?

Just curious if that's happened on occasion. I received an upsell offer to a balcony from obstructed OV earlier this week but it was no special deal for me. Could have initially booked a balcony at that price and chose not to. But still hoping for a surprise upgrade. Does it happen?

One way or another re: the upsell, there's a general consensus around here that category-to-higher-category free upgrades are increasingly rare as Princess tries to upsell more and more. In the course of 21 Princess cruises, I received precisely two significant upgrades, one six years ago, the best one on my honeymoon cruise (so maybe the Upgrade Fairy was feeling sentimental).

Judging from posts around here, it does happy but rarely. As everyone always says, book the cabin/category you'll be happy with. Anything else is (increasingly thin) gravy. Did you get a significant upgrade on any of your half dozen Princess cruises?

Edited by shepp

Did you get a significant upgrade on any of your half dozen Princess cruises?

On my past cruises, just good assignments in category with guaranty bookings. On my upcoming Crown TA I actually got an upgrade from obstructed OV to Plaza deck OV, however turned that one down. So I guess lightning has struck once but hoping for a second time.

Thanks for the response, shepp and cherylandtk!

A friend recently booked a guarantee balcony and received a mini-suite when the cabin was finally assigned. The cruise was overbooked, so that might have been part of it to. I doubt very many people book guarantees on mini-suites, so maybe someone took a move-over offer from the mini-suite making it available.