Livorno to Florence Transfer

Disneycruise2017

We did the journey a few years ago, if I remember correct it's, ship shuttle bus into Livorno town square, into tobacco shop for bus ticket and onto bus to station, then train to Florence, don't forget to validate your train ticket before you board the train.

When we did it it was our first cruise, so didn't have much experience with excursions on our own but we managed it ok.

There is also a low cost bus company called Tuscany bus. You take the port shuttle and the Tuscany bus is just near the shuttle stop. Advices on Trip Advisor are generally good. They have a website, just google : Tuscany bus (sorry, I don't remember the address, but it's easy to find). Have a good trip!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The link to Tuscany Bus company is http://www.tuscanybus.com/portfolio-articoli/low-cost-bus-livornofirenze/ and it is one option. But its not our favorite option for one reason. They only run one bus a day and it does not get you to Florence until 11 am. When we use a taxi from pier to train...and train to Florence....we are generally in Florence by 9:30. We generally aim for the 8:12am train which gets you into Florence at 9:32 although we have sometimes made the 7:30 train which gets us in by 9:07. There are at least one (sometimes 2) return trains every hour.

The tricky part about using the train is getting a taxi to take you from the pier to the train station. This involves getting off the ship ASAP and being politely assertive in asking for a taxi to the station (Stazione). We have always been successful...but you do have to sometimes wait a few minutes to find a driver willing to do the short haul. The taxi normally charges about 20 - 25€ but that is for the entire taxi...and its usually easy to find other to share. A shared taxi can actually cost less then the shuttle bus (which often does not even start running until around 8:30) and you will be in Florence at least 1 1/2 hours before that Tuscany bus even arrives.

Hank

• 2 months later...
The link to Tuscany Bus company is http://www.tuscanybus.com/portfolio-articoli/low-cost-bus-livornofirenze/ and it is one option. But its not our favorite option for one reason. They only run one bus a day and it does not get you to Florence until 11 am. When we use a taxi from pier to train...and train to Florence....we are generally in Florence by 9:30. We generally aim for the 8:12am train which gets you into Florence at 9:32 although we have sometimes made the 7:30 train which gets us in by 9:07. There are at least one (sometimes 2) return trains every hour.

The tricky part about using the train is getting a taxi to take you from the pier to the train station. This involves getting off the ship ASAP and being politely assertive in asking for a taxi to the station (Stazione). We have always been successful...but you do have to sometimes wait a few minutes to find a driver willing to do the short haul. The taxi normally charges about 20 - 25€ but that is for the entire taxi...and its usually easy to find other to share. A shared taxi can actually cost less then the shuttle bus (which often does not even start running until around 8:30) and you will be in Florence at least 1 1/2 hours before that Tuscany bus even arrives.

Hank

Thank you, Hank! A few follow-up questions: Where can I find the train schedule? Is it hard to find a cab from the train station back to the ship at the end of the day? Do I need to buy the train tickets in advance? What exactly does "validate the train tickets" mean? And where is the train station relative to the Duomo and the Uffizi -- can I just walk when I get off the train or will I need more transit? Thank you for your help; it is most appreciated.

There are ticket machines in the station to get your tickets, no need to book in advance. There was a row of cabs waiting when we arrived back in livorno at about 9.30pm, so I would think you would have no problem. And everything is easily walkable from the main station in Florence. Have a great time!

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Forums mobile app

The best place to find train schedules is on the Trenitalia web site (they have an English option if you click on the little flag on the upper right of their home screen. Keep in mind that Florence is "Firenze" in Italian. As to getting a return taxi from the train station...this is one reason why we always like to leave a minimum of an hour (when you must be on the ship) upon your return. There are usually a few taxis parked right in front of the station's main entrance, but they can quickly disappear. When we use the train we have always made sure to among the first off the train...and then we quickly walk through the station to the entrance hoping to grab one of the waiting taxis. If we are too slow and there are no taxis we usually wait for a taxi to return to the station. There is sometimes a station official or security person around who will telephone for more taxis if needed. I recall they had a few taxi phone numbers posted at the station...and one can always ask for some help.

I do want to make clear that using taxis always requires building in additional time in case you have to wait. Building in extra time is always the friend of independent travelers. But we have used the train more then a dozen times (over many years) and have never been stuck at the station for more then 15 min. It is getting a morning taxi (from port to train station) that has often been a bigger problem.

Hank