Aruba and curacao

Saddleshoes

Going on the Sunshine on March 4th to Aruba, Curacao and Grand Turk. Would like some tips of excursions we can do on our own. We are seniors and love snorkeling and sight seeing. Which beaches are best and is walking each port on our own a viable option?

In Aruba we did a helicopter tour which was awesome. Nice view of the island and they took us over a couple different shipwrecks that were close to shore which you could see well because the water is so clear. Then in Curacao we did 2 tours one was in a bus that took us around to the hot spots with a nice stop at Curacao distillery for a short tour and some free samples (i had too many). Then out of curiosity we did a Tuk Tuk tour which is basically a juiced up golf cart which was very cool and you have a personal guide that knows a lot of history and is able to also be your personal photographer. This was a last minute decision because they were there at the port and looked like fun and were only like $25 each + tip.

We were just in Curacao earlier this month and we took a city bus to Mambo beach for $2/person. It was a gorgeous beach and there were lots of people snorkeling in that area. In Aruba, we took the city bus to Eagle Beach for $5/person round trip. I wrote a small review of our trip and those were the last 2 islands we visited. I will link the review on here so you can view pictures and also how to get to the city bus pick up area.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2455277

Enjoy your cruise!!!!

We did Sunshine last year to Aruba, Bonaire, Grand Turk. Liked the ship, loved Bonaire + GT, disappointed in Aruba. Maybe I expected too much. Water was cloudy from about 50 miles out of port. Town smelled like raw sewage (I'm a retired pipelayer, I know the smell). We're in our late sixties + seemed like we walked forever. A lousy local beer was $8 and only about 8 oz. Definitely plan something there, walkin around will get yah nowhere. Our good friends go to Aruba every year, they LOVE it. Never been to Curacoa, but heard it was great.

In Aruba we took a private shore snorkeling excursion with Aruba Bob. Wonderful afternoon spent snorkeling. You snorkel about a mile in Mangel Halto. An amazing afternoon, highly recommended!

In Curacao, the area on the other side of the Floating Bridge is a delightful way to spend the day just walking and exploring. Shops, cafes and beautiful buildings. Lots of little alleyways to explore. Visit the floating market at the upper end. Watch ships sail in and out and watch the Floating Bridge open and close.

We'd love to do a repeat of those ports! Enjoy your cruise!

Great Itinerary! :D

You would enjoy going to the Ports of Call section here on Cruise Critic and checking under each of your port stops for lots of information on what others have done on their own in each of those ports.

Your Roll Call is another good place for checking information on what other cruising with you are doing.