Amber Cove?? Excursion or just go to the beach?

mikechass

Hi everyone.

I looked under the excursions section of our upcoming Magic Cruise. There is a great little monkey one that peaked my interest but there are a few people saying the 3 hours to get there and back was a bit much.

I know my kids would love the monkey part so I'm leaning towards booking it for our family of 4 but I thought I'd check here and see if anyone is really all that experienced with this port or this actual excursion.

Any advice/help would be appreciated. Thanks so much

Also, I did search for Amber Cove as a port in the forum but I didn't find it anywhere really so I figured I'd just ask.

Chass.

Amber cove has an awesome port area that carnival owns right at the dock. Beautiful pool with waterslide, zip line and many activities. There is no charge for the pool or chairs. You can rent umbrellas and the zip line was really cheap. 6c05b5b1e052ffd20519ac88e8c4b5dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We've been to the Dominican Republic twice. Once, when we docked at LaRomana, and second time when we docked at Amber Cove. We haven't been on the excursion you asked about, but, based on the two we have been on, I'm in no hurry to go back. Both excursions were beach excursions. They weren't horrible, but they were disappointing. Before deciding on what you'd like to do, do a little research on excursions on Trip Advisor.

There is no beach at Amber Cove, the ship docks in what I guess can be considered a bay. However there is plenty to do right there, a lot of money was put into developing the area. Very nice pool, plenty of lounge chairs, zip lines, bar, etc.

Thanks so much for those pictures and all the responses....

I just didn't know if the $80 US a person ($70 for one of our four) is worth it to spend 2 hours at the monkey sanctuary...

Especially after you factor in the 3 hours travel time.

Maybe just lazing by the pool with those comfy chairs would be fun??

Thanks again

Safe Travels.

Chass

If your kids really want to see the monkeys, then I say go ahead and enjoy it. Its all about the kids. But I will say, do not waste your money paying for a formal excursion to any of the beaches. Amber Cove's port has several activities right at the port already mentioned. You can have a blast without spending more money. You can even go back and forth to the ship for your free food and then return to the activities right at the port. If you really want to spend a day at the beach, do not buy an excursion. Walk past the local recruiters and head to the taxi stand. I believe we paid $20 a person to have our taxi driver drive us to one of the beaches about 20 minutes out and he stayed with us the entire time. They have free cabanas to lounge on and people come around from the local restaurants and sell you food and drinks. You also have the locals walking around offering massages, hair braiding and pictures with the parrots for really cheap prices. Or you can patronize the formal restaurants and massage spas. A little more costly but nothing compared to the formal excursions that are sold at the port or by the cruise line. We really enjoyed our beach day. We got burgers and fries right on the beach, pina coladas, coconuts and some other island snacks.

Amber Cove is nice but next time I would do some kind of excursion. Don't get me wrong, the pool is great, free loungers, etc but if I'm going to go all the way to the Caribbean, I want to do something more unique than using a pool. Just my own opinion. I know there are plenty of people who just want to relax in the sun with friends. The choice is yours :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• Like 2

Don't know how adventurous you want or how old your kids are, but check out http://www.27charcos.com/index.php

We just got back from Amber Cove and did the waterfalls. Cost us $100 for the taxi ride up and back (4 people). Cab driver stayed their the whole time to make sure we got back without waiting. Then it was $8 pp for the excursion (12 of the falls) and another $4 for a small locker to put your valuables in (shoes, clothes and billfold).

It took us about 45 minutes to walk up (several rests along the way- 2 couples in their late 50's).

Took about 2 hrs to get down. Had a blast. Jumped from about 3 falls and slide down the rest.

We got 2 guides for the 4 of us. Saw other groups of about 15 people with the same. We loved the extra treatment, but I think the guides didn't think we would make it.

Anyway, took about 4 hours total. We gave a $20 tip to each guide. Total cost us $180 ($45 pp). Carnival had this excursion listed in their book for $79 pp, and I am sure that didn't include tip and maybe locker.

If you are thinking about this, just go past the shops at the port to a cab and tell the Cab Valet that you want to go to the 27 waterfalls. Felt very safe the whole time.

There was no free lunch there last May - but the landscaping and pool were tropical paradise! You can return to the ship for lunch, a shower, etc. and then leave again for the pool/zipline. Good music, too. There is a lazy river and pool noodles are provided free.

Do the ships serve free lunch at Amber Cove? Is the food any good?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No lunch a the port just as there is no lunch at Grand Turk or Mahogany bay. This is a port in a country, not a private island. Of course, walk 500 feet and your back on ship with all of the lunch options the ship has to offer.

No lunch a the port just as there is no lunch at Grand Turk or Mahogany bay. This is a port in a country, not a private island. Of course, walk 500 feet and your back on ship with all of the lunch options the ship has to offer.

In my mind it was set up lie and replaces the stop at the private island. I guess not. I have a feeling it will not be worth getting off the ship. Just enjoy the quiet ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't know how adventurous you want or how old your kids are, but check out http://www.27charcos.com/index.php

We just got back from Amber Cove and did the waterfalls. Cost us $100 for the taxi ride up and back (4 people). Cab driver stayed their the whole time to make sure we got back without waiting. Then it was $8 pp for the excursion (12 of the falls) and another $4 for a small locker to put your valuables in (shoes, clothes and billfold).

It took us about 45 minutes to walk up (several rests along the way- 2 couples in their late 50's).

Took about 2 hrs to get down. Had a blast. Jumped from about 3 falls and slide down the rest.

We got 2 guides for the 4 of us. Saw other groups of about 15 people with the same. We loved the extra treatment, but I think the guides didn't think we would make it.

Anyway, took about 4 hours total. We gave a $20 tip to each guide. Total cost us $180 ($45 pp). Carnival had this excursion listed in their book for $79 pp, and I am sure that didn't include tip and maybe locker.

If you are thinking about this, just go past the shops at the port to a cab and tell the Cab Valet that you want to go to the 27 waterfalls. Felt very safe the whole time.

Thanks so much for the recommendation and tip. We have only been to Amber Cove once and just basically walked around the port area. If we ever go with the grandkids will definitely look into this. Have you ever done Dunns River Falls? If so, how did this compare to that in terms of physical exertion? Thanks

Thanks so much for the recommendation and tip. We have only been to Amber Cove once and just basically walked around the port area. If we ever go with the grandkids will definitely look into this. Have you ever done Dunns River Falls? If so, how did this compare to that in terms of physical exertion? Thanks

Yes, we have done Dunn River Falls. But in that case, you walk up the falls. Much more of a workout, with the exception that you don't have to walk back down. They pick you up at the top, if I remember.

This was a good hike up through the forest (about 40 min. for us) and then it is pretty leisurely going back down. Plus the idea of jumping from 20-25 ft on some of the falls is exhilarating. This is much better in my opinion.

Yes, we have done Dunn River Falls. But in that case, you walk up the falls. Much more of a workout, with the exception that you don't have to walk back down. They pick you up at the top, if I remember.

This was a good hike up through the forest (about 40 min. for us) and then it is pretty leisurely going back down. Plus the idea of jumping from 20-25 ft on some of the falls is exhilarating. This is much better in my opinion.

Thanks again. It sounds amazing, but I'm not sure about doing a 40 min. hike uphill through the forest. I'm not sure my DH or I could do it, at least without a lot of stops. We decided against cave tubing on our last cruise because the walk through the rain forest was too much last time we decided to do it and the guides were walking VERY FAST.

Hi everyone.

I looked under the excursions section of our upcoming Magic Cruise. There is a great little monkey one that peaked my interest but there are a few people saying the 3 hours to get there and back was a bit much.

I know my kids would love the monkey part so I'm leaning towards booking it for our family of 4 but I thought I'd check here and see if anyone is really all that experienced with this port or this actual excursion.

Any advice/help would be appreciated. Thanks so much

Also, I did search for Amber Cove as a port in the forum but I didn't find it anywhere really so I figured I'd just ask.

Chass.

We are going to book the Monkey Jungle and Zip Line with Iguana Mama.

Thanks again. It sounds amazing, but I'm not sure about doing a 40 min. hike uphill through the forest. I'm not sure my DH or I could do it, at least without a lot of stops. We decided against cave tubing on our last cruise because the walk through the rain forest was too much last time we decided to do it and the guides were walking VERY FAST.

I didn't think I could do a 40 min. hike either. It was advertised as a 25 min walk. But the guides were very good about taking our time. Kept taking breaks and that is why it turned out to be 40 minutes. Also, bring a bottle of water or buy one at the bar/ restaurant at the start. I am almost 57 and suffer from liver and lung cancer. If I can do it, you can too.

• 4 weeks later...
Amber cove has an awesome port area that carnival owns right at the dock. Beautiful pool with waterslide, zip line and many activities. There is no charge for the pool or chairs. You can rent umbrellas and the zip line was really cheap. 6c05b5b1e052ffd20519ac88e8c4b5dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

NICE!! We clearly missed this on our first visit. I was contemplating staying on the ship this time, but ziplining is TOTALLY ON MY BUCKET LIST!!! How do I get to this area from the ship?

Edited by tlwg04