Lerwick, Shetland Islands

zorrosuncle

It is a fairly small walkable town with some views that charm and a slightly movie set feel to its old streets and buildings, a very good museum and several shops for Shetland Sweaters. Also a good place to get fish and chips. It was cold and rainy when we were there but it only added to its rugged charm. "Puffin Poo" was another treat to look for - a local candy joke. We enjoyed out time just walking around. A world apart.

When we were there a couple of years ago the tender let you off right downtown. The city is very walkable, but has some rather steep hills that mighty be a problem for some. The last part of the following post has pictures of Lerwick; the first part involves a ship tour to an interesting archaeological site. https://baderjournal.wordpress.com/2014/09/02/lerwick-shetland-islands-scotland/

Edited by RBB

Like OlsSalt, it was cold and rainy in Lerwick for us, too. We walked the town back in 1999. I remember buying a UK edition of Harry Potter that was not yet available in the USA. Also saw a three wheeled car. Should have had a pint. We hopped off the tender right in town. The tide went out and exposed a dozen slippery steps to climb down to reboard the tender. Being from the plains, I had never seen tides like that. There may well be different tendering arrangements now.

Good reading, esp if you are a WWII buff, "The Shetland Bus". How tiny fishing boats helped supply the Norwegian resistance plying between the Shetlands and Bergen Norway, all the while evading the ****s who had conquered Norway.

(***Interesting - the spell check automatically blocks out the use of the common name for the German war machine. No Godwin's Law need apply.)

Good reading, esp if you are a WWII buff, "The Shetland Bus". How tiny fishing boats helped supply the Norwegian resistance plying between the Shetlands and Bergen Norway, all the while evading the ****s who had conquered Norway.

(***Interesting - the spell check automatically blocks out the use of the common name for the German war machine. No Godwin's Law need apply.)

Thanks so much for the book suggestion, as I'm going to the Shetlands in May on a Hurtigruten trip. Love reading books about the places I'm going. Have a great time on the VOV...I enjoyed the first half last year.