Ever met a celebrity on a cruise?

SkidRow

As another poster said, "Real" celebrities would not be on a cruise ship with the masses. They would be on their own chartered yacht. I see more in Hawaii when I am there, and since I live in Los Angeles and grew up in an "entertainment family", I have met many. I wouldn't consider many of the pervious mentioned people "celebrities".

I think Paris Hilton would be considered a "Real celebrity"..... wonder why she was on a 2000 passanger cruise ship?

I think Paris Hilton would be considered a "Real celebrity"..... wonder why she was on a 2000 passanger cruise ship?

According to her agent, Mark Severeide, she was testing out a concept for a new t.v. show. She would secretly wear a microphone (a cameraman would be a discreet distance away) and get people's reactions to stumbling upon her in an unexpected place. It was hoped that people's reactions would be interesting and funny. I'm still not sure, though, why the Dalai Lama was onboard.

I agree with you that Paris is a "Real celebrity." It's hard to imagine that it used to be that a person actually needed talent to be a celebrity. Indeed, it boggles the mind. A hundred years from now people will be saying... "how does she compare with Paris Hilton?"

As another poster said, "Real" celebrities would not be on a cruise ship with the masses. They would be on their own chartered yacht.".

Did I say that? If I weren't such a crank, I'd be ashamed of myself. After all, I actually saw Jackie Gleason's masseur's third cousin's hairdresser's babysitter on a cruise once. It was all I could do to keep from swooning (Thank God the Dalai Lama was there and levitated me just in time).

I see more in Hawaii when I am there, and since I live in Los Angeles and grew up in an "entertainment family", I have met many. I wouldn't consider many of the pervious mentioned people "celebrities".

... did I ever tell you about watching Jack Lord wander around Star Market in Kahala Mall? Usually lost unless Marie was there of course, but in full makeup at all times. And don't even start me on the Tom Selleck stories...

Flamestarter for the day: Stop worrying about this silly stuff. The real celebrities on cruise ships are the "average folks" who scrimp, save, and spend a huge percent of their disposable income to push the comfort envelope and go somewhere they might not otherwise ever see. You'll know them right off - they're the ones who spend the trip learning all they can about the people and places they visit instead of whining about the one waiter who had a bad day and didn't fawn over them enough.

Flamestarter for the day: Stop worrying about this silly stuff. The real celebrities on cruise ships are the "average folks" who scrimp, save, and spend a huge percent of their disposable income to push the comfort envelope and go somewhere they might not otherwise ever see. You'll know them right off - they're the ones who spend the trip learning all they can about the people and places they visit instead of whining about the one waiter who had a bad day and didn't fawn over them enough.

BUZZKILL! Who's worrying? Wasn't this just supposed to be a fun thread? :)

Cheers,

Esther

(who will temporarily borrow your flamethrower and say that it's sad that we'd consider average, polite, respectful, decent folks to be "celebrities" -- decency for decency's sake -- how quaint...ok handing back now!)

We met him last month on the Seranade. He was awesome. Handed me his jacket to hold and then later in the show stood me up and sang to me while kissing my arm. He also had a meet and greet the next day where he took pics with anyone who wanted them and then autographed them.

His show, btw, was incredible. Very talented imo.

I'm pretty sure that I saw the Dalai Lama partying with Pamela Anderson on the Brilliance two years ago. I am no longer allowed more than four beers during the day. My wife is a sceptic and a spoilsport.

Al

Al:

Your post made me laugh so hard I snorted on my computer screen. You have some nerve!!! Still laughing.

According to her agent, Mark Severeide, she was testing out a concept for a new t.v. show. She would secretly wear a microphone (a cameraman would be a discreet distance away) and get people's reactions to stumbling upon her in an unexpected place. It was hoped that people's reactions would be interesting and funny. I'm still not sure, though, why the Dalai Lama was onboard.

The Dalai Lama was on board because he thought that Princess was a little too fussy for him. It was sheer coincidence that he and Paris hit it off when she saw him walking on the pool in his orange Speedo.

Al

I KNEW I wasn't drunk.....it also explains why my wife has confiscated the camcorder I had with me that night. Did you also see the Pope with that big penguin? How do famous people get away with things like that?Especially in the Windjammer!

Gratefully yours,

Al

Are you sure, Al, that it was a penguin? I've seen pictures of him with a bear in a tuxedo and he looks just like a penguin (the bear, not the Pope). If you've had a enough beers they both look like penguins.

Curt

Are you sure, Al, that it was a penguin? I've seen pictures of him with a bear in a tuxedo and he looks just like a penguin (the bear, not the Pope). If you've had a enough beers they both look like penguins.

Curt

To be perfectly honest Curt, I'm not even entirely sure it was the Pope. It could only have been the new German Pope as he left his towel on the best lounger every day, but he hadn't yet been elected back then. My mind was probably still reeling from being blown away by Paris!

Al

4 or 5 years ago we were on the Granduer of the Seas. Coming back from a day in St. Lucia, we saw our very favorite comic, John Pinnette. He was boarding for 2 shows the next day. Of course, we had to run up and meet him and take pictures. He was very nice and put up with us for about 15 minutes. His shows were the best. We laughed so hard our faces hurt. It was a nice surprise because we had not seen a list of entertainers for the cruise.

The Dalai Lama was on board because he thought that Princess was a little too fussy for him. It was sheer coincidence that he and Paris hit it off when she saw him walking on the pool in his orange Speedo.

Al

I discovered later that the Dalai Lama was attracted to Paris by her inate spirituality. It seems she was constantly uttering "Oh my G__, Oh my G__."

CBS just announced that Paris Hilton and the Dalai Lama will be appearing on a special edition of Dr. Phil's show next week to discuss their flowering relationship.

I wonder if she's told him that she's not really a Hilton (She was actually born in a cheap motel in Kentucky but her mother didn't think that "Paris Motelsix" would look good on the birth certificate).

Several years ago on the Disney Magic, New York Jets quarterback, Joe Namath was onboard. Didn't get to meet him though; I think it was a New Year's cruise.

Good thing you didn't meet him. He might have greeted you with, "I want to kiss you."

I wonder if she's told him that she's not really a Hilton (She was actually born in a cheap motel in Kentucky but her mother didn't think that "Paris Motelsix" would look good on the birth certificate).

Ka Honu, you may have missed the promo that's running in New York. Seems Dr. Phil raises this issue. You should see the look on the Dalai Lama's face! Guess we'll just have to wait until next week to see his full reaction.

Archived