Ever met a celebrity on a cruise?

SkidRow

I wonder if she's told him that she's not really a Hilton (She was actually born in a cheap motel in Kentucky but her mother didn't think that "Paris Motelsix" would look good on the birth certificate).

Or maybe she's really one of the Bodet's from Motel 6...."We'll leave the light on.."

BTW Ken Bodet's (the guy in the radio ads) book "The end of the Road" is a good read.

I wonder if she's told him that she's not really a Hilton (She was actually born in a cheap motel in Kentucky but her mother didn't think that "Paris Motelsix" would look good on the birth certificate).

She has not been honest with the great man about either of her names. Her great grandmother is Scottish and she was actually christened "Auchtermuchty Motelsix". This could all end in tears as Lamas (unlike Paris!) are known to spit.

Al

A few years ago on another line, we were seated with a guy from "Our Gang". You know the one from long time ago with Spanky and Darla.

If it was "Alfalfa," it was a long time ago. Carl Switzer, who played Alfalfa, was tragically shot to death in 1959 at the age of 31. He did have a bit part in "It's a Wonderful Life," a true Hollywood classic.

In 1999, before our first cruise, we stayed at the Miami Hyatt Regency. We met George Hamilton at the pool and he was very gracious, stopped and chatted with us and took pictures. He is just as handsome in person and just as tall as he looks. We found out he owned the restaurant in the hotel at that time.

If it was "Alfalfa," it was a long time ago. Carl Switzer, who played Alfalfa, was tragically shot to death in 1959 at the age of 31. He did have a bit part in "It's a Wonderful Life," a true Hollywood classic.

I googled " 'Our Gang' cast " and found an interesting thing on "TRUTHorFICTION"

Alfalfa -- Carl Switzer was shot to death at age 31-Truth!

According to OUR GANG - LIFE AND TIMES OF THE LITTLE RASCALS by MALTIN AND BANN, Switzer was wounded in Jan 1958 when someone shot him as he was getting into a car.

Then the next year, a fatal shot was delivered in a struggle over $50 with an ex-partner in a big game hunting business.

Chubby -- 300-pound Norman Chaney died at age 22 following an operation-Truth!

His death was actually at 18, not 22 and it followed surgery for a glandular condition.

Buckwheat -- William Thomas died at age 49 of a heart attack-Truth!.

He died in Los Angeles in 1980 after a successful life as a film lab technician in Hollywood.

Darla Hood -- The Our Gang leading lady contracted hepatitis and died at age

47-Truth!

She died on June 13, 1979.

Brisbane -- Kendall McCormas, known as Breezy Brisbane, committed suicide at

age 64.-Truth!

The correct spelling of his name is McComas.

According to published reports, he gave up show business to be an electrical engineer at the U.S. Naval Weapons Center in China Lake, California.

He committed suicide two weeks before his retirement in 1981.

Froggy -- William Robert Laughline was killed in a motor scooter accident at

age 16.-Truth!Laughline was killed in a motor scooter accident near Huntington Beach, CA in the early 1950’s

Mickey Daniels -- He died of liver disease at 55-Truth!

His real name was Richard Daniels, Jr.

He died alone in a hotel of cirrhosis of the liver on August 20, 1970.

Stymie -- Mathew Bear led a life of crime and drugs. He died of a stroke at

age 56-Truth! & Fiction!

After leaving the Our Gang series as a child, Stymie reportedly acted through high school.

He became addicted to drugs, especially heroin and spent much of his young adult years in an out of jail.

In the 1980's got clean of drugs and both went back into acting and traveling doing drug abuse lectures.

He died of Pneumonia.

Scotty Beckett -- He died at age 38 following a brutal beating-Unconfirmed!

According to Maltin and Bann's book, "The last 10 years of his life were filled with unpleasant stories of divorce, violence, drugs and arrests."

He checked into a Hollywood nursing home on May 8, 1968, needing medical attention after suffering a serious beating.

He died two days later.

Although pills and a note were found, no conclusion was made by the coroner as to the exact cause of death.

According to the Internet Movie Database, he died of an overdose of barbiturates.

Wheezer -- Robert Hutchins was killed in an airplane accident at age 19-Truth!According to findagrave.com, he was killed during the last thirty minutes of his basic training at the Merced Army Air Corps field in California when his plane crashed on landing.

Pete the Pup -- He was poisoned by an unknown assailant-Unproven!

There were actually several different dogs used through the years as Pete the Pup, the canine star of films.

There are several reports that the original Pete the Pup was poisoned by someone who gave him meat laced with glass.

There is also an urban legend that Pete the Pup was buried with Alfalfa but we've found no evidence of that and Pete the Pup died long before Alfalfa.

Alfalfa loved hunting and apparently there is a dog on his tombstone that reflects that so that may have been a part of what prompted the urban legend about Pete the Pup.

According to crime writer David Lohr, there are some additions to the Our Gang death list:

Robert H. Young "Bonedust" (9/15/17 - 9/10/51)

Died in a hotel fire, which started when he fell asleep smoking in bed.

Dorothy Dandridge "Dorothy" (11/09/23 9/08/65)

Committed suicide after an investment scheme caused her to go bankrupt.

Harold Switzer "Deadpan" or "Slim" - (1/16/25 - 4/14/67)

As was the case with his brother, Harold was also killed following a dispute with another man.

Darwood Kaye "Waldo" - (9/08/29 - 5/15/2002)

Killed by a hit and run driver while walking on the sidewalk.

Jay R. Smith "Jay R" - (8/29/15 - 10/05/2002)

Stabbed to death and left in the desert by a homeless man he had befriended.

Thomas Bond who played "Butch"

Bond is not mentioned in the eRumor, but just for the record, he died on 9/24/05 in Los Angeles of complications from heart disease, according to an Associated Press article on 9/25/05. He was 79.

ORANGEinINDY,

Wow! Thanks for a great response. I knew about Carl Switzer, but not the others. What a tragedy! As a kid, I enjoyed the "Our Gang" comedies immensely, and yes, Alfalfa was my hero as we both have the same talent for singing! Now I'm even more curious who cruisequeen10 met.

Wasn't Robert Blake (of Baretta and whacking his wife fame) also in Our Gang?

I think he had a MINOR role in some later "Lil' Rascals" shorts. I think he was also the kid that sold Humphrey Bogart the lottery ticket in "Treasure of the Sierra Madre"...

...and 'dats 'd name of 'dat tune

As far as whacking his wife he was forgiven ...er, I mean CLEARED from those charges

Wasn't Robert Blake (of Baretta and whacking his wife fame) also in Our Gang?

According to Wikipedia, Mickey Gubitosi (later known as Robert Blake) replaced "Porky," and was featured in many Our Gang shorts. Frankly, I preferred Porky. I wonder if the Dalai Lama ever watched Our Gang?

Robert Blake played "Mickey." If you sat next to him, I guess it was lucky that you weren't the one tragically shot to death. The Dalai Lama must have been watching over you (presumably before his infatuation with Ms. Motelsix when he still had time for such things).

According to Wikipedia, Mickey Gubitosi (later known as Robert Blake) replaced "Porky," and was featured in many Our Gang shorts. Frankly, I preferred Porky. I wonder if the Dalai Lama ever watched Our Gang?

Hi Yogi,

As fate would have it, the Dalai Lama is in Edinburgh today. He has secifically requested Dundee Cake to take "home"with him. I think he has finally left the Auchtermuchty episode behind him and seems to have returned to his serene self. (I'm actually typing this as he has read our threads and has threatened to return me in a future existence as an Englishman.......the very thought chills me to the bone!)

Al

Hi Yogi,

As fate would have it, the Dalai Lama is in Edinburgh today. He has secifically requested Dundee Cake to take "home"with him. I think he has finally left the Auchtermuchty episode behind him and seems to have returned to his serene self. (I'm actually typing this as he has read our threads and has threatened to return me in a future existence as an Englishman.......the very thought chills me to the bone!)

Al

Hi Al,

Thanks for the update on the Dalai Lama. I'm glad he is able to put his fling with Paris behind him. Apparantly, he was quite visibly upset when Dr. Phil showed him the Paris tape that has circulated on the internet. Of course, they blurred out some portions of anatomy. Since he floated off the stage in a rage, uttering "I'm through... I'm going to become a Scottish Presbyterian," I can understand his visit to Edinburgh.

I am sorry that has threatened you with future national transformation. The good news is that his upcoming conversion to Scottish Presbyterianism will not allow a "reincarnation." The bad news is that as a Calvinist, he will probably consign both of us to hell.

Yogi

Hi Al,

Thanks for the update on the Dalai Lama. I'm glad he is able to put his fling with Paris behind him. Apparantly, he was quite visibly upset when Dr. Phil showed him the Paris tape that has circulated on the internet. Of course, they blurred out some portions of anatomy. Since he floated off the stage in a rage, uttering "I'm through... I'm going to become a Scottish Presbyterian," I can understand his visit to Edinburgh.

I am sorry that has threatened you with future national transformation. The good news is that his upcoming conversion to Scottish Presbyterianism will not allow a "reincarnation." The bad news is that as a Calvinist, he will probably consign both of us to hell.

Yogi

Hi Yogi

Just when one thinks one's life is on track......do you think that the DL could conjure up some means of our teeth being sent forward in time for the traditional gnashing and grinding prior to perdition? Or should we carry on cruising, and to hell with us ?

Worried of Scotland

PS Can't believe I put a comma before "and"........doubly damned for sure!

We were on a Southwest flight from Miami to Chicago. We were in the first row on the right side. Across the plane in the front row sat a women and had stuff all over the place. She was writing away. Before we left the gate they were bringing her drinks and asking is she needed anything. This is Southwest. mind you My wife says to me what is she royalty? At take off they did not make her pick up anything. If you have a candy wrapper out it must be stowed but not her. After we were up a bit I kept looking at her to try and figure out who she was. Then it hit me. Right after I figured it out she handed my wife a card from across the aisle. My 3 year old son who had red hair was playing on the floor in front of our seats and she would watch him and smile. She was Sarah Ferguson the Dutchess of York. She said to give us our address and she would send us her latest book for our little red head. She said in the card that they call her big red and she would call my son little red. About a month after we returned home we got the book in the mail signed on the inside cover with a little note to my son.

Very Cool,

Hi Yogi

Just when one thinks one's life is on track......do you think that the DL could conjure up some means of our teeth being sent forward in time for the traditional gnashing and grinding prior to perdition? Or should we carry on cruising, and to hell with us ?

Worried of Scotland

PS Can't believe I put a comma before "and"........doubly damned for sure!

Hi Al,

I too am deeply worried. I notice that the previous poster had the good fortune of traveling with Sarah Ferguson. Considering that she and Paris are life-long buddies, do you think we might be able to intercede with royalty to remove the obvious curse which the Dalai Lama has placed upon us? Being here in NYC, we know little about royalty. The closest we came was Prince Rudy, but he is now in political limbo, waiting his turn to oppose Princess Hilary. I sure hope we can solve this dilemma since we are consigned to an upcoming cruise on (how shall I say it?) Carnival.

Yogi

Can't believe I put a comma before "and"....

... and I can't believe you didn't edit it out before "they" noticed and consigned you to the pain of punctuation purgatory. How are you ever going to survive with all those commas running rampant through your colon? On the bright side I suppose you only have one asterisk so you're probably out of further danger.

Ah Bubbie, you see The Donald is royalty only in his own eyes. When he turned his back on a fellow Czech (I'm Czech by heritage), he gave up all claims to majestic aura. Go Ivana! (who by the way is constructing a larger building in Las Vegas than her folically enhanced ex.)

I think he had a MINOR role in some later "Lil' Rascals" shorts. I think he was also the kid that sold Humphrey Bogart the lottery ticket in "Treasure of the Sierra Madre"...

...and 'dats 'd name of 'dat tune

As far as whacking his wife he was forgiven ...er, I mean CLEARED from those charges

But found to be financially liable in that case yesterday!

Archived