cruise insurance

Good Evening: Has anyone had to file for an insurance claim for the Medical Center on the ship? We were advised that we had to first go through Medicare, which of course we are not covered. Called Blue Cross and they are sending a form for us to complete. has anyone had any luck with BC/BS. Just wondering if they paid anything or will the insurance we purchased through the agency be paying the claim. Any information will be helpful. BTW: The medical team on the Anthem was wonderful! Thanks:cool:

Sometimes in an emergency situation, there is coverage. However, if it was considered out of the country, there may be extra steps you have to go through. You might want to call and request to speak with a Case Manager for your group and they might can help you more with that process.

Guest maddycat
Good Evening: Has anyone had to file for an insurance claim for the Medical Center on the ship? We were advised that we had to first go through Medicare, which of course we are not covered. Called Blue Cross and they are sending a form for us to complete. has anyone had any luck with BC/BS. Just wondering if they paid anything or will the insurance we purchased through the agency be paying the claim. Any information will be helpful. BTW: The medical team on the Anthem was wonderful! Thanks:cool:

You really should contact your travel insurance to find out what information they require.

If you purchased travel insurance and it is primary coverage, you will not have to go through either medicare or BCBS first. If your travel insurance is secondary you will have to send in your claim to medicare first. If they deny the claim you will need the denial so that you can forward it to your travel insurance. The same for BCBS.

Our first cruise (freedom of the seas) I ended up in the medical center for a day and a half. I had to pay $1400 out of pocket when we got off the ship, submit to my medical insurance (who paid around 950) of it back to me and THEN submit to the travel insurance I bought through rccl to get the rest of the $. This was in 2012 so I'm not sure if the process has changed or is the same. When I argued with customer service about what's the point of (a) buying the insurance or (b) having my own insurance if I have to pay out of pocket and then chase after reimbursements , they kept going round and round. Frankly, I was still too sick to care and just wanted off the ship to go home so I paid. The good news is I got the refund check from my insurance company about 6 days after submitting to them and then about another week later I got the refund from the rccl insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had to use the medical facilities on a cruise when I developed shingles. I had insurance through Insure my trip, which was secondary and Medicare was my primary with a Medicare supplement in addition. The rates charged were those which Medicare would accept, however, I had to pay up front and get reimbursed.

I contacted the cruise insurance that I had and they asked me what my primary insurance was. I told them Medicare and they said Medicare wouldn't pay for services outside the USA. I had to send them the paid receipt from the cruise line which showed the service and meds I was given. The claim was paid within a couple of weeks after receipt of the requested details.

I realize you were asking about BC/BS, but having Medicare, I think the policy would be the same. Good luck.

There are different BCBS policies. So what I say may not apply to you.

I have BCBS, primary, and Medicare (hospital only) as secondary. My wife had severe pains on a TA, had five accupuncture sessions, great relief. Filed with BCBS, had to pay a copay, received 75% coverage otherwise. Good luck!

I did have to file twice, had not filled in every detail (each and every "date of service") at first. But eventually I got it right and got a nice check.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

DH had to visit the Medical Facility on a recent Navigator cruise. We had to get a denial from his primary insurance prior to filing with the RCCL travel insurance.

Primary denial took longer then Travel Insurance. We did get reimbursed every dime.

Good Luck

You really should contact your travel insurance to find out what information they require.

If you purchased travel insurance and it is primary coverage, you will not have to go through either medicare or BCBS first. If your travel insurance is secondary you will have to send in your claim to medicare first. If they deny the claim you will need the denial so that you can forward it to your travel insurance. The same for BCBS.

Exactly!