Group cruise disappointment/warning to others

mnlovesdisney

We recently went on a 7 day cruise on the Carnival Magic the end of January/beginning of February. The cruise itself was great, and I have no absolutely no complaints there. However, we had booked as a group. We had over 30 people and around 14 to 15 cabins as a group. My husband is the one who was talking to Carnival and organizing this cruise as a group. We were supposed to get money back as on-board credit, which we planned to share with all the cabins. The person my husband had been taking to (Russ) assured us this would happen and even had hinted at a get together/party on the ship (party was never promised, so I won't dwell on that). My husband had tried for several weeks to get ahold of Russ and get everything straightened out and finalized, as there was continually misinformation about our group. He was not able to get return phone calls or e-mails from Russ. When we got on board and my husband inquired about our group and the on-board credit we were supposed to get, it turned out that everything was still messed up. I give credit to the people on board for trying to help get this straightened out and have no problem with the people on the ship itself, but in the long run my husband spent several hours of his vacation that he paid for trying to get this all straight and causing him a lot of stress in the meantime. It never got straightened out. In fact, if you can believe this, on the last day of the cruise he received a message stating to please advise him we were not part of our group. We arranged it, but somehow we were not a part of it. So, he has spent several weeks since we got home still trying to get this figured out. We did finally get a check sent to us, but now we have to get all the money out to all the people of our group, instead of a simple on-board credit like what should have happened.

We have cruised Carnival several times in the past, but because of their complete incompetence in their offices and support people, we are extremely hesitant to give them another try. We have, in fact, just started organizing another group with a lot of the same people who cruised with us last time. This is for an 11-day Panama Canal cruise and we are booking through NCL. Carnival would have likely gotten this money and business if they hadn't messed up so completely. My advice to is if you are dealing with Carnival with a group booking, be very careful, document and save everything, and if your contact is Russ, find another contact ASAP.

There is so much more to groups and amenities than your husband seems to be aware of. Next time choose a TA who can work with you on the specifics of how a group works, using amenity points and passing on savings. Any knowledgeable agent can assist. Trying to solve it while on the cruise or after simply won't work.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm not sure I would have any higher expectations from NCL than you got from CCL (been there, done that will both cruise lines). If you truly want to enjoy the group experience (and your vacation) follow jimbo's advice and find a TA who specializes in groups. You can still act as the group leader, but the TA does all the work. You work with the TA to figure out the ship and sail date then just pass the TA's name around to your friends to book their cabins.

Make sure you work with a REPUTABLE TA so that you get everything that is due you as a group. There are some agencies that will try to use the groups amenity points to their own advantage.

Was he part of Carnival Groups department or a regular PVP?

Which OBC are you talking about?

The Amenity points where it is Onboard Credit or the free berth for every so many cabins sold?

The free berth money comes about 6 weeks after the end of the cruise. Some TAs will front this money.

It's so hard finding a good TA these days. Our TA passed away and our new one is doing everything in her power for us not to book with her again.

There is so much more to groups and amenities than your husband seems to be aware of. Next time choose a TA who can work with you on the specifics of how a group works, using amenity points and passing on savings. Any knowledgeable agent can assist. Trying to solve it while on the cruise or after simply won't work.

Absolutely need a TA for this. While I feel perfectly competent arranging my own families vacation, I still go through a TA typically for the benefits they give. With such a large group though it seems like that is so much more important to have someone to assist. That the OP couldn't contact someone for weeks at one point just highlights the need to have someone who knows how to get over that hurdle.

Absolutely need a TA for this. While I feel perfectly competent arranging my own families vacation, I still go through a TA typically for the benefits they give. With such a large group though it seems like that is so much more important to have someone to assist. That the OP couldn't contact someone for weeks at one point just highlights the need to have someone who knows how to get over that hurdle.

Agree, it surely would have gone better

Sent from my iPhone

We travel every year as group. We have a travel agent set up our group, and everyone contacts the TA directly paying their own way, She is very good at keeping us together, and getting us an on board credit when we book a minimum of 5 cabins. She is not a carnival rep but hasn't let us down in many years.

Has using TAs changed over the years. The last time I went through a TA was a long, long time ago (probably over 20 years ago) and then you paid such a large fee/premium to go through them that you pretty much cancelled out any perk that went with booking anything that way. We have done things on our own for a very long time and have never had any problems at all until this Carnival fiasco.

Has using TAs changed over the years. The last time I went through a TA was a long, long time ago (probably over 20 years ago) and then you paid such a large fee/premium to go through them that you pretty much cancelled out any perk that went with booking anything that way. We have done things on our own for a very long time and have never had any problems at all until this Carnival fiasco.

If the TA is charging you a large fee you need a different TA. The TA is paid a commision from the cruise line. The price of my cruise is no different through the TA than it would be through Carnival but I get a on board credit from the TA so a net reduction in cost for using them.

That was the one question that came to mind after reading this....where was the TA?

Off hand it sounds like a regular PvP got the assignment of arranging your group, and most likely not a seasoned one at that.

When dealing with OPM (other people's money), use a professional. Who knows, you just might get something more out of it than you ever would booking directly through Carnival.

Even 20 years ago, if a TA charged you a "large fee" they are inappropriately charging you.

With this large of a group and the early-on sniffles of problems when booking directly with Carnival, it would have been better to have used the resources of a TA with group booking experience. Trying to navigate the plethora of details can be time-consuming and overwhelming for the "novice".

You've found that out by the hours of frustration of trying to get things straightened out to how you understood them to be. Be at least thankful you were refunded what you didn't get on board - finally.

You indicate you are planning to do a group thing again. Use a TA and save yourself a repeat of the last experience. You won't even have to worry about the complete incompetence in their offices and support people because the TA will handle it.

All you will have to do is beam proudly in front of your group knowing how easy and painless the process was. You could even take the credit. ;)

There are some agents that will charge a "booking fee" and some who will charge a "cancellation fee". If your agent charges either of these, it's time to find a new agent. The price quoted by the TA should not be any higher than you could book the trip for on your own AND there should definitely be perks involved if you are booking a group.

BTW, you were definitely not working with the Carnival Group Dept (probably a PVP) because they are the best Group Dept out of all of the cruise lines that I have had to work with.

Agree with so many above...TA's are the way to go. We use one even if just the two of us are sailing. Just makes things easier, and you cant beat free. They have helped immensely on both a 12 person group sailing on Oasis and our wedding cruise that had about 30 or so guests sailing.

I may also be biased since my mother-in-law is one...so makes it even more convenient haha

BTW, you were definitely not working with the Carnival Group Dept (probably a PVP) because they are the best Group Dept out of all of the cruise lines that I have had to work with.

Glad to hear this. Our new TA has messed up our group cruise. We're hoping the monies come out right. Biggest issues (so far) has been no notice of final payment until it was due and switched birth dates. Also she misspelled the name of the group.

We do ours as a small fundraiser, Carnival matches our add-on of $15 and any free berth money goes to our charity. Hopefully we will get our monies as we have in the past after the cruise.

Glad to hear this. Our new TA has messed up our group cruise. We're hoping the monies come out right. Biggest issues (so far) has been no notice of final payment until it was due and switched birth dates. Also she misspelled the name of the group.

We do ours as a small fundraiser, Carnival matches our add-on of $15 and any free berth money goes to our charity. Hopefully we will get our monies as we have in the past after the cruise.

Now you know it's time to find a new TA (one who specializes in groups) for your next group cruise. BTW, doesn't the money go directly to the charity you raised the funds for? It has been my experience that the name and proper documentation must be presented to Carnival in advance and they send the funds directly to the 501©(3).

Now you know it's time to find a new TA (one who specializes in groups) for your next group cruise. BTW, doesn't the money go directly to the charity you raised the funds for? It has been my experience that the name and proper documentation must be presented to Carnival in advance and they send the funds directly to the 501©(3).

We have done fund raisers groups as well. The check will come marked to the organization but will be delivered to the TA

Sent from my iPhone

This is our 10th group charity cruise . Our previous TA passed away. At the beginning of her illness she recommended this new one.

Agree on getting the TA for a group cruise. With my TA, I get reduced rates, excellent service, and additional amenities (OBC, etc) when booking a group. No reason why you should spend more and get less...