New to NCL

mnlovesdisney

We have done Disney and Carnival cruises before, but we just booked our first cruise on NCL. We are going to do an 11-day Panama canal cruise in February of 2018 on the Jade. Can anyone tell me anything about the Jade, Panama canal cruises (never done Panama canal before), and in general how NCL is different from Carnival. We recently did a cruise on Carnival Magic and ended up unhappy with some things surrounding that cruise, hence we are trying a different cruise line this time. I am so excited for this cruise, but have a long time to wait for it. :D

We have done Disney and Carnival cruises before, but we just booked our first cruise on NCL. We are going to do an 11-day Panama canal cruise in February of 2018 on the Jade. Can anyone tell me anything about the Jade, Panama canal cruises (never done Panama canal before), and in general how NCL is different from Carnival. We recently did a cruise on Carnival Magic and ended up unhappy with some things surrounding that cruise, hence we are trying a different cruise line this time. I am so excited for this cruise, but have a long time to wait for it. :D

We spent 23 days on the Jade in April and then 14 days on the Jade in October. Obviously we liked the Jade. Love the Great Outdoors, 24 hour Blue Lagoon for food, friendly crew.

The Jade will be undergoing drydock next month so there will be some changes and a facelift.

Is your Panama Canal cruise a partial transit. We haven't done that but have done a full transit twice. The Canal is really an experience and very educational.

What didn't you like about Carnival? Without knowing that I don't know if you'll dislike something about NCL.

There are no formal or elegant nights on NCL, just a optional dress up or not night for Norwegians Night Out.

All dining on NCL is "anytime" dining -- freestyle is no assigned time or table. Show up when you want during MDR hours.

The problems we had with Carnival were related to a completely messed up group booking. The cruise itself was fine, but booking was so messed up we didn't want to do that again with them, especially as we have another group. The cruise was have booked is a partial canal transit. I am very much looking forward to trying a new cruise line. I know they do things different with freestyle dining and probably lots of other things as well. The drink package and dinning package are being included in our price. My big question with freestyle dining is how easy is it to get in to eat at the restaurants. Are we going to have to make reservations way in advance to get in places. It's hard to know always in advance when and where you might want to eat on any given night. Thanks for information on this and anything else you think would be important to know about differences between sailing Carnival vs Norwegian.

if you are on a smaller NCL ship, no need to make rezzies ahead for shows. they show them at 7 and 9 every night. the big ships its not a fixed schedule which then makes dinner rezzies a bit more of a challenge.

we always resrve a standing 7pm dinner rezzie in an MDR on all ships. its easier to cancel a reservation if not needed then to make one at the last minute. we like knowing we will always have a guaranteed time and place to eat other than the buffet. if we want to eat in a specialty, we always book as soon as they open up (90 days out) so we can get the dates, times and places we want (they go fast).

ive done one carnival (my first) and ill never do another. we love NCL.