Afternoon Tea on Celebrity on Sea Days?

Aislinncursala

Hi, Since I began cruising in 2009 each cruise line has been cutting back on its afternoon teas which began in the traditional sense with linen covered tables in a lounge and carts circulating serving tea and sweet and savory items with a pianist playing in the background. Does Celebrity have anything resembling afternoon tea? Thank you. Will be on the Eclipse for two weeks leaving Sunday, March 5th from Miami. :)

Unfortunately no formal tea offered, except for Elite Captain's Club members on one occasion per cruise. On a daily basis, tea time items like scones and small sandwiches are offered in the ocean view cafe around 4 PM.

Edited by rose6
Adding information

My husband and I were on constellation in November 2016 and went along to the Elite captains club afternoon tea and to be perfectly honest we were very disappointed. The whole event was very disorganised and some table were getting better service then others. Our table had to ask for most items and when we eventually got scones they were undercooked.

We found the afternoon tea items in the buffet restaurant on our infinity Panama cruise to be far superior.

My husband and I were on constellation in November 2016 and went along to the Elite captains club afternoon tea and to be perfectly honest we were very disappointed. The whole event was very disorganised and some table were getting better service then others. Our table had to ask for most items ...

This sounds like the daily tea service served on board HAL and Princess ships. You'd think since it's a (almost) daily event, they'd be more organised but unfortunately it isn't.

They do offer a tea in Murano usually once, as another responder indicated, but it seems like it's a very formal type of affair. We usually travel in a Suite, most recently in a PH, and our butler brought afternoon snacks with coffee/tea if we wanted. Otherwise we could go to MC and pick stuff up. X cut this back I think for 3 reasons 1) waste: people were asking for things only to have it thrown out, 2) The time it took for the butlers to get to everyone (including those who weren't in their cabins when tea was offered and then called later to ask for tea) and 3) people complaining about what was offered.

This was one of the cutbacks I actually agree with. Those that want tea can take the long, arduous journey to the Oceanview and select what they want.

X cut this back I think for 3 reasons 1) waste: people were asking for things only to have it thrown out

(Unfortunately) there is a ton of waste everywhere, so I find this a strange reason to cut out such a unique tradition...

This was one of the cutbacks I actually agree with. Those that want tea can take the long, arduous journey to the Oceanview and select what they want.

I don't think it's about people not wanting to take a journey to Ocienview, or just wanting tea. For me, it was a nice relaxing experience in a different venue. My first experience at 'afternoon tea' was on a different cruise line (I think HAL or Princess), where the selections and service were incredible.

My husband and I were on constellation in November 2016 and went along to the Elite captains club afternoon tea and to be perfectly honest we were very disappointed. The whole event was very disorganised and some table were getting better service then others. Our table had to ask for most items and when we eventually got scones they were undercooked.

I agree - same for the Equinox. Last holiday sailing Elite tea was truly disappointing - very poor selection and very poor service.

I hope X will consider bringing this back up to a higher level, and even more often on longer cruises (once per 5-7 days would be nice). If it is being added as an Elite CC benefit/perk, it should be a step up from where it's been at.

We found the afternoon tea items in the buffet restaurant on our infinity Panama cruise to be far superior.

I agree with you completely. We went to a tea once in the dining room and the service was pitiful. Waiter came with some things and ran out before everyone got served. We thought he was gone to get more, but he never returned. The Oceanveiw is great. I love those scones and the sandwiches are nice too. Never have gone back for the CC tea.

The tea in Murano is a champagne tea and there is a fee.

• 3 weeks later...