NEW CARNIVAL MENU ITEMS-Anyone have them yet???

AmyMelissa

Carnival was suppose to introduce new gourmet menu items starting 11/1 on some of their ships. Eventually it will be on all the ships. I was wondering if anyone has experienced any of the new gourmet items on the menu yet??? If you have, please share. Thanks

Carnival was suppose to introduce new gourmet menu items starting 11/1 on some of their ships. Eventually it will be on all the ships. I was wondering if anyone has experienced any of the new gourmet items on the menu yet??? If you have, please share. Thanks

I can't remember what any of the actual items were to be able to tell you if we ate any of them. I do know they were on the Conquest a few weeks ago, if only a few of them.

I remember the discussion of the dessert with the prunes - no one at our table tried it.

They seemed to have a few new ones mixed in. Mostly the desserts. I was disappointed that they do not have Cherries Jubilee or Baked Alaska anymore. The waiters were surprised that they discontinued these staples as well.

They are not allowed to "flame" anything onboard anymore. :(:(

Bummer! Was on Glory Nov. 5-12 and no cherries jubilee nor baked alaska. In fact, our final night there was no choice for dessert....just crème brulée.

Overall, the main courses were wonderful...but I only eat beef, chick/turk, and fish. I had salmon, prime rib, beef tenderloin, beef wellington, turkey, chateaubriand....and all of it was very tasty. Too much fat on the prime rib, but that may be how it's done (I don't eat it at home)

There was duck, quail, pork, lamb on the menu as well, but didn't try any of it.

These are just a sampling of the dinner menu items....don't remember all of them.

Bummer! Was on Glory Nov. 5-12 and no cherries jubilee nor baked alaska. In fact, our final night there was no choice for dessert....just crème brulée.

Same here on the Celebration Nov. 5-10. But it was delicious.:) And each night I'd order swiss cheese with my desert, and got it with no problems.

They seemed to have a few new ones mixed in. Mostly the desserts. I was disappointed that they do not have Cherries Jubilee or Baked Alaska anymore. The waiters were surprised that they discontinued these staples as well.

They are not allowed to "flame" anything onboard anymore. :(:(

That made me laugh. Perhaps the flames got out of hand. Creme brulee has to be flamed but I think they can stick that under the broiler. Who knows, maybe their insurance went up because of the several flaming incidents.

286591106pAxVOA_th.jpg http://community.webshots.com/photo/286552775/286591106pAxVOA

The prune dessert was on the menu back in February on the Conquest - noone at our table ordered it, but our head server brought us one to share...out of the 8 of us, none of us cared for it. She was surprised and said that it is very popular.

I am VERY interested in the new menu items on the dinner menus and hope someone takes pics of them soon....

I CAN plan my day around a good dinner menu!!:eek:

On the Fantasy this weekend they didn't have any of the new menu items. We did notice some changes to the old ones, though, especially in presentation. The Beef Wellington, for example. I remember it being a "slice" off a large Wellington; but this time, it was a cute little individual Wellington. The peppercorn sauce on the Filet Mignon was slightly different, too - can't put my finger on how - but I did not care for it. Hubby said the lamb was presented differently, as well, but was even better than before.

And, I was very disappointed. I commented on it at the end of the cruise...told 'em that I hoped they got rid of the new chef.

First - Baked Alaska and Cherries Jubilee will no longer be served on the Glory, Conquest, Valor, or Liberty. They are the first ships going to the "upscale" menu. If Carnival goes by the groans, moans, and disappointed expressions, they will change this plan though.

They have changed the presentation of many of the items they have kept. The one that immediately comes to mind is the weinerschnitzel. It used to be a nice cut of meat, good presentation. It's now a much smaller portion size, rolled in a weird shape, tougher than tough, and has a 'different' garnish than it used to. Also, dessert that same night (if I remember right) was olive oil based. Couldn't wait for that. :rolleyes: Then there was the penne marisco which has always been a pretty good dish (pasta, rose sause -alfredo & marinara mixed - and shrimps & scallops. The new guy has gone to ordering that the pasta be cooked in the seafood water - I have NEVER, EVER, NEVER had such a fishy dish in my entire life. Absolutely inedible. Mentioned it to the matre'd who made the comment that it was now being prepared the "continental way and perhaps my pallet was not sophisticated enough for the new preparation method". WHAT????? I didn't even know what to say to that one!

They have modified the sauces, changed the cuts/portions, and added some stuff that my family just doesn't care for (duck, quail, etc). I think that in changing the portions, they haven't accounted for different cooking time as this was the first time that I noticed meat being tough. I attributed it to the new presentation/prep methods.

Even some of the choices in the grill have gone more gourmet - and much more international. The Japanese buffets and Indian buffets left a lot of folks grumbling at lunchtime on the Glory a few weeks ago. Again, people just wanted good ol' food to eat.

We sat in the upper level of the dining room and it was interesting to watch how many people sent back for second choices because they just didn't eat the first ones.

I may be in the minority but I don't go on a cruise for "fancy" food. I don't want pictures drawn on my plate, I don't want gourmet presentations...I just want the food to be good quality, consistent, and something that I want to eat. I am lucky enough to be able to afford any ship that I want to sail - and I avoid some of the more expensive lines just because I don't go for the pretentiousness. My comment to Carnival was that it needs to be very aware of their market and their consumer's expectation.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly was able to find something to eat...too often. :) But, having cruised Carnival so many times, I was really looking forward to some really good food. What I got was certainly filled...and while some of the food was really good, some of it was adequate at best. Olive oil for dessert? Not for this gal!

...they have started to incorporate lots more liquor into the food. That is something that I don't personally care for.

BUT - the new creme brulet was THE BEST I've ever eaten in any of my travels. I could have stashed some of that away for later. And, while they did bring it out to the whole table, there was a dessert menu available as well - they just didn't highlight it. If you asked, there was a whole selection to order from that evening.

Then there was the penne marisco which has always been a pretty good dish (pasta, rose sause -alfredo & marinara mixed - and shrimps & scallops. The new guy has gone to ordering that the pasta be cooked in the seafood water - I have NEVER, EVER, NEVER had such a fishy dish in my entire life. Absolutely inedible. Mentioned it to the matre'd who made the comment that it was now being prepared the "continental way and perhaps my pallet was not sophisticated enough for the new preparation method". WHAT????? I didn't even know what to say to that one!

I would have been LIVID if some snobby maitr'd had said that to me! :mad: They have absolutely NO excuse for saying something like that to a guest. I hope you mentioned that and the maitr'd's name on your comment card. I would have asked to speak to whoever he reported to.

On the last evening of my Nov. 5-12 Glory cruise...the asst. waiter specifically said..."we have only one dessert for you tonight..." then went on to describe the crème brulée. We were not offered, nor informed, of additional desserts. The appointed dessert was fine....but not everyone likes a brulée.

Just my input into the situation.

Mentioned it to the matre'd who made the comment that it was now being prepared the "continental way and perhaps my pallet was not sophisticated enough for the new preparation method". WHAT????? I didn't even know what to say to that one!

I would have informed that snot that perhaps my pallet was not sophisticated enough, but my wallet certainly is, and if he even thought he would get a tip from me or anyone in my party, then he really was a foolish snob! I would then immediately report him to the hotel manager or whoever his superior was. That really takes some brass cajones to say that to a paying guest!:rolleyes:

Mentioned it to the matre'd who made the comment that it was now being prepared the "continental way and perhaps my pallet was not sophisticated enough for the new preparation method". WHAT????? I didn't even know what to say to that one! !

I too would have been flabbergasted... the nerve..

Again, people just wanted good ol' food to eat.

I may be in the minority but I don't go on a cruise for "fancy" food. I don't want pictures drawn on my plate, I don't want gourmet presentations...I just want the food to be good quality, consistent, and something that I want to eat. !

I so agree with you. I don't quite get the whole drawing on the plate thing. If I wanted art I would go to the auction. I think a chef needs to cook and leave the building of towers to the Lego set.

On the last evening of my Nov. 5-12 Glory cruise...the asst. waiter specifically said..."we have only one dessert for you tonight..." then went on to describe the crème brulée. We were not offered, nor informed, of additional desserts. The appointed dessert was fine....but not everyone likes a brulée.

Just my input into the situation.

This happened to us on but I don't think with creme brulee. We understood it was the Matre'Ds choice, his favorited. I think it was an orange souffle. It was good but I thought it was odd too. Maybe on the last night the cooks don't want to be making a lot of different desserts??

On the last night we had a full dessert menu. But I don't even know if I could tell you what it was that I had. :rolleyes::D

We didn't experience any tough cuts of meat on the "new menu," and I don't mind the addition of alcohol. Also, we are a little bit adventurous and it was easy for us to try things like quail. Plus, I had the duck AND the lamb and just adored both of them.

Our waiter was quick to make suggestions if we ordered something he hadn't seen people enjoying since the new menu. One occasion stands out, in which Stang ordered the Consomme of Game for an appetizer.

"I cannot recommend the consomme," Davis said. "You must remember that I am here every day, and every week, and I see what people like and what they do not. And frankly, sir, I have seen no one finish that."

"But," he continued, "I would be happy to recommend the navy bean soup." Which was a home run.

Archived