Formal nights on 7 day cruise

SewLady

Our first cruise on HAL coming up. How formal are formal nights on HAL?
Not very. They are now just Gala nights, not formal. On our Oosterdam cruise in Dec there were many only meeting the minimum requirements - collared shirt and slacks for men, equivalent for ladies. Probably half the men had a jacket or tie but not both, and 1/4 had both. A smattering of tuxes. Early dining (which we had) will be less formal than later. Edited by catl331

Men no longer need jackets or ties...a button down shirt and nice pants are acceptable. Women wear anything but jeans for pants or a skirt and top. Smart Casual, I think they call it. You still see some gowns and suits, but not many

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wondering what to pack for Formal nights on HAL. We are new to HAL and are on a 7 day cruise out of Tampa.

Linda

On previous cruises I have been on there was a lot of formal wear on Formal nights. They now call them "Gala" nights as I think overall the age demographics have changed and alot of the current passengers prefer to dress nicely, but not formally. I take a black dress to wear and add jewelry to dress it up. I used to pack a gown, but felt out of place in 2015. I think if you dress nicely so you are comfortable, it is fine. It's a special night and it is nice to dress up!