Giverny on a Saturday afternoon

prish

We'll be on the Eclipse this June, with an overnight in le Havre. We're renting a car on Day 1 but the ship doesn't dock till 9am and it's going to be almost noon by the time we get to Giverny. This will be Sat June 10, how crowded is it likely to be there? Monet's house is rather small and I'm wondering if it might get to be too much of a crush. The gardens of course are much bigger and crowds won't be an issue there.

What do you guys think, would appreciate your comments. We'll probably go to Rouen if we cut out Giverny, either way we want to end up at Honfleur for an early dinner before heading back to the ship.

Thanks in advance:)

Edited by prish
Giverny on a Saturday afternoon in June

In my opinion, Giverny on a weekend would be quite crowded. There was standing room only on the train we were on from Paris - both ways- on a Sunday The gardens may be bigger than the house -but really a lot smaller than I had imagined in my art history classes. There are paths to follow and the good photography spots require some patience.

That said....we loved the experience. The tiny village of Giverny is very nice and has some good restaurants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion, Giverny on a weekend would be quite crowded. There was standing room only on the train we were on from Paris - both ways- on a Sunday The gardens may be bigger than the house -but really a lot smaller than I had imagined in my art history classes. There are paths to follow and the good photography spots require some patience.

That said....we loved the experience. The tiny village of Giverny is very nice and has some good restaurants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We visited Giverny a Sunday in May. We arrived just before it opened and there was already a queue to buy tickets.

By the time we left it had become quite crowded. However, both the house and gardens are lovely and I'd like to return.

The day of the week is not too relevant once you get into the June tourist season. Giveny draws a crowd, any day in season, especially if the weather is good. Not much you can do about it...if this is a place you want to visit (we recommend a visit)...unless you travel in the off-season. And do not assume the Gardens don't get a "crush" because this area will also be very crowded. Just go with the flow and enjoy.

Hank

The day of the week is not too relevant once you get into the June tourist season. Giveny draws a crowd, any day in season, especially if the weather is good. Not much you can do about it...if this is a place you want to visit (we recommend a visit)...unless you travel in the off-season. And do not assume the Gardens don't get a "crush" because this area will also be very crowded. Just go with the flow and enjoy.

Hank

Thanks, you've all just confirmed what I thought. Most of my group has been to Giverny previously, but wanted to go again. I'll let the others decide, DH and I go to Paris regularly and can visit Monet's home on one of these trips.

Any suggestions for what to do in Rouen if we skip Giverny? Thanks:)

Thanks, you've all just confirmed what I thought. Most of my group has been to Giverny previously, but wanted to go again. I'll let the others decide, DH and I go to Paris regularly and can visit Monet's home on one of these trips.

Any suggestions for what to do in Rouen if we skip Giverny? Thanks:)

The center and old part of Rouen are relatively compact and best explored on foot (assuming you can walk a few miles during a touring day). The highlight (and not to be missed) is the famous Cathedral. Otherwise, we just enjoy walking around Vieux Rouen and the Rue de Gros-Horloge (a very interesting street within the Vieux Rouen) where you simply enjoy viewing the old houses/buildings, the clock, browsing shops, etc. If the weather doesn't cooperate or you are an art musuem lover then certainly spend a couple of hours inside the Musee Beaux Arts where they do have some decent Impressionist works (DW and I seek out impressionist art all over the world). Just walking around and enjoying a nice lunch can quickly fill an entire day.

Hank

The center and old part of Rouen are relatively compact and best explored on foot (assuming you can walk a few miles during a touring day). The highlight (and not to be missed) is the famous Cathedral. Otherwise, we just enjoy walking around Vieux Rouen and the Rue de Gros-Horloge (a very interesting street within the Vieux Rouen) where you simply enjoy viewing the old houses/buildings, the clock, browsing shops, etc. If the weather doesn't cooperate or you are an art musuem lover then certainly spend a couple of hours inside the Musee Beaux Arts where they do have some decent Impressionist works (DW and I seek out impressionist art all over the world). Just walking around and enjoying a nice lunch can quickly fill an entire day.

Hank

Thanks Hank. We seem to be kindred spirits, DH and I also love the Impressionists, one of my all time fav museums is the Marmottan in Paris, I could spend hours there! So the Musee des Beaux Arts sounds very inviting, I was also thinking of the Andre Malraux museum in le Havre but don't know how/where to fit it in:confused:

We should easily be able to spend several hours in Rouen, been there just once before in the mid eighties when we lived in Paris. In fact I can hardly remember anything of the place, except of course the cathedral.

Thanks again, really appreciate your help and comments!

Thanks Hank. We seem to be kindred spirits, DH and I also love the Impressionists, one of my all time fav museums is the Marmottan in Paris, I could spend hours there! So the Musee des Beaux Arts sounds very inviting, I was also thinking of the Andre Malraux museum in le Havre but don't know how/where to fit it in:confused:

We should easily be able to spend several hours in Rouen, been there just once before in the mid eighties when we lived in Paris. In fact I can hardly remember anything of the place, except of course the cathedral.

Thanks again, really appreciate your help and comments!

Absolutely love the Mamrottan. If you are ever in Philadelphia...make sure to visit the Barnes Museum. We have never visited the Malraux Museum. For many years it has been our "Plan B" if we happen to be in Le Havre during a day with awful weather. But it has never happened :). Our normal Le Havre plan is to get a rental car and head out of town...although we have also used the train when heading to easily accessible places like Rouen.

Hank

Are there vehicles at Le Havre port that will drive you to Giverny and back? We do not want to rent a car--my husband needs a break from the driving when on vacation--and, while willing to share a car and/or tour, we do not want to arrange one (if that makes sense to anyone).

We have traveled a lot, but never into Le Havre, so this port is new to us completely and we are not sure how to navigate with the trip we want to take.

Are there vehicles at Le Havre port that will drive you to Giverny and back? We do not want to rent a car--my husband needs a break from the driving when on vacation--and, while willing to share a car and/or tour, we do not want to arrange one (if that makes sense to anyone).

We have traveled a lot, but never into Le Havre, so this port is new to us completely and we are not sure how to navigate with the trip we want to take.

Suggest you post on your RC about this, maybe there's another couple looking for someone to share a car. Someone from our June sailing is going to Giverny and Rouen with Radio Taxi, le Havre, you may want to check this out. Check for reviews on Trip Advisor.

Re rental agencies, there's Rentacar right at the cruise terminal, also several others in town, obviously cheaper:D

If you want a car/driver the only options sitting at the port are some taxis. Those drivers (many of whom speak little to know English) would do the trip but it will cost you hundreds of Euros. It is about 85 miles (one way to Giverny) and the driving time is around 1:30 (one way). A rental car, for the day, can cost anywhere from about 60€ - 130€ depending on the size of car. manual vs automatic transmission, and where you rent. The only dealer at the port (rentacar.fr) charges more money then some of the agencies outside the port (about a 30 min walk.

As has been suggested, you can cut down the cost by finding another couple to share or trying to organize your own private tour with others you find on the CC Roll Call board.

Hank