Island Princess Dining Experience

grandmaLUU

Hello everyone!

We are taking our 1st Princess Cruise (2nd overall cruise) to Alaska this August on the Island Princess-- I have been reading mixed reviews about the Anytime Dining--long waits in a queue for the MDR--having to share a table with another group of cruisers if you want timely seating--We did Freestyle cruising on NCL--and it was great-- no lines--5-10 minute wait at the very most--and sat by ourselves like you would at a restaurant. We are early diners (5 pm ish) and actually would be ok sharing with other cruisers--(we are traveling also with my sister & BIL) but I wouldn't want that all the time--everyday--every meal--we would of signed up for conventional dining if that was the case. I don't necessarily want the Buffet all the time either. I don't mean to sound so picky and the dining certainly is not a deal breaker-- we are so looking forward to this cruise! I know it will be a wonderful experience. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello everyone!

We are taking our 1st Princess Cruise (2nd overall cruise) to Alaska this August on the Island Princess-- I have been reading mixed reviews about the Anytime Dining--long waits in a queue for the MDR--having to share a table with another group of cruisers if you want timely seating--We did Freestyle cruising on NCL--and it was great-- no lines--5-10 minute wait at the very most--and sat by ourselves like you would at a restaurant. We are early diners (5 pm ish) and actually would be ok sharing with other cruisers--(we are traveling also with my sister & BIL) but I wouldn't want that all the time--everyday--every meal--we would of signed up for conventional dining if that was the case. I don't necessarily want the Buffet all the time either. I don't mean to sound so picky and the dining certainly is not a deal breaker-- we are so looking forward to this cruise! I know it will be a wonderful experience. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you all.

We have sailed the Island many times. Twice since the most recent drydock.......

One of the issues with the Island is during a major drydock in May 2015 the 2 deck high Universe Lounge was removed and 152 cabins were added. This added 200-300 additional passengers.

No additional DR space was added which put a strain on the existing dining venues. There are only 2 main DR's.

No additional entertainment space was added either.

On our Med cruise there was a line at the AT DR "Bordeaux" on deck 5 that stretched into the atrium. The line started at 5:30 or so and lasted through 8:30 every night. There have been comments from other cruisers here on CC that did not experience this on their cruise. We also found standing room only in the Princess theater for the exclusive show On the Bayou which used to be held in the Universe Lounge.

Hello everyone!

We are taking our 1st Princess Cruise (2nd overall cruise) to Alaska this August on the Island Princess-- I have been reading mixed reviews about the Anytime Dining--long waits in a queue for the MDR--having to share a table with another group of cruisers if you want timely seating--

We are early diners (5 pm ish) and actually would be ok sharing with other cruisers--(we are traveling also with my sister & BIL)

If you can be flexible with your dining time preference, you can casually ask the dining staff at the door for the ideal walk-in time with the least wait, if any.

Thank you all--we are somewhat flexible but due to health issues on my part eating after 6:30 pm is just getting too late for a dinner for me--I wouldn't make it in Europe with the late night dining that is their practice! [emoji3]But we actually have decided to change & go with the traditional dining at an early time--it will just meet our needs best. I appreciate your comments. Thank you! We are excited!!

My experience on the Island through the Panama Canal last month was similar to Colo Cruiser. Often long lines for Anytime Dining. But you can make reservations for 5.15pm or 5.30pm each morning so that would help you.

Having said that, I will never be sailing on the Island again. So many other options that I will not tolerate the overcrowding on that ship - not only dining but theater, public lounges/bars, etc.

Club class dining has also added issues with anytime dining on the Island. There were long lines at 5:00 every night for ATD. We were glad we had traditional even though it was at 5:15 pm. Lots of unhappy diners. I suggest traditional early!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello everyone!

I personally prefer the traditional seating late sitting. I know I am from UK but don't particularly like eating late at home. However, on board I have found it great. If you have been out on tours etc, time to get ready in leisure and then have a pre-dinner drink before sitting down. I didn't think I would like it until I cruised with Cunard and they don't have Any Time Dining in the main restaurant. I now love it.

I personally prefer the traditional seating late sitting. I know I am from UK but don't particularly like eating late at home. However, on board I have found it great. If you have been out on tours etc, time to get ready in leisure and then have a pre-dinner drink before sitting down. I didn't think I would like it until I cruised with Cunard and they don't have Any Time Dining in the main restaurant. I now love it.

My reason for having the late seating: On a cruise ship I am never hungry at 6 PM.