Caribe Hilton- San Juan

NCTarheelsCruiser

if you go to tripadvisor.com you will read so many negative reviews it will make you crazy. having said that....i have several friends (including my travel agent) who wouldn't stay anywhere else in san juan. i know that i have a jr. suite on an upper floor with concierge service. the only typical complaint that i hear is that the hotel has sections that need renovation and that it is a little out of the way. go on the san juan section of "ports of call" and do a search. you'll get a ton of opinions. i'm still going!!!

oh... i just noticed....you're goiong before me. promise that you'll post a review??!!

We stayed here before our Golden Princess cruise last April, and we loved it. We booked a room on the concierge floor, it was newly renovated with an ocean view, and we had a free continental breakfast, free cocktails and appetizers before dinner, and free cordials and desserts after dinner. For dinner, we ate at one of the hotel restaurants, I forget the name but we sat outside on the patio with a view of both the pool and the beach -- very nice, and the food was fine also. We would definitely recommend it, I think the trick is to ask for a renovated room. Here's a link to our webshots, the first few are of the hotel and the view from our balcony: http://community.webshots.com/user/cynbar101

Our TA booked us into the Caribe Hilton for our 1-night post cruise stay in San Juan. I don't think she asked for any particular part of the bldg or any certain floor. Will my Hilton Honors Silver VIP card help us at check-in, so we don't get stuck somewhere less acceptable??

Thanks.

Our TA booked us into the Caribe Hilton for our 1-night post cruise stay in San Juan. I don't think she asked for any particular part of the bldg or any certain floor. Will my Hilton Honors Silver VIP card help us at check-in, so we don't get stuck somewhere less acceptable??

Thanks.

Gold would get you a great upgrade, silver maybe? The hotel, of course is very old but that is what gives it charm, plus they do renovations on it at least every 2 or 3 years. I find it hard to beleive people complain about such an old landmark and perhaps the class of San Juan. It's like cruising an old 5 or 6 star ship: there will always be those who think new means better. Do ask for an upgrade and maybe you will be lucky. As for restaurants I have 2 pieces of advise and take this with a grain of salt:1- if you want a wonderful chinese meal at a very expensive price try the restaurant in the hotel: at the other end of the scale, there used to be a little hole in the wall on the corner that was great for breakfast and not expensive as prices in San Juan go. Just a thought. enjoy!!! NMnita

Thanks.

Your TA should have already given them your HiltonHonors number so that it would be included in your reservation. Being in the hotel industry myself, the hotel will pre-block your room before you get there, and HHonors members rooms will be blocked first, before non HHonors members, so you should get assigned to a better room (if they are available) if they know in advance that you are an HH member. If you wait to give them that info at check-in, you run the risk of getting a less desirable room, especially if they are running high occupancy at the time you arrive. Just a thought for you.

i was thinking about doing to same!!! you're leaving pretty soon. have a great cruise and PLEASE come back and review the place for me!!!:D

No problem, I will come back and post my thoughts, only a few more days before we head out. When in Dec. are you going to be there? We will be back home on Dec. 4th and I should have my review up by the 5th or 6th.

we will be at the caribe pre and post cruise arriving on the 22nd of december leaving for our cruise on the 24th then returning on the 31st (in time for new years eve) and flying home on january 2nd. my kids will miss 1 1/2 days of school before the holiday and 1 day after. we only take 1 vacation a year so we splurge. AM REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR REVIEW. HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!!!

Archived