Grenada - Mandoo 1/2 day tours

Mrs Booboo

We did Mandoo's half day tour last year and loved it. He was waiting at the dock when we arrived. He's a wonderful ambassador for Grenada. You will finish the tour with a whole new appreciation for the island and its people. He is very aware of the ships schedules and works around these times.

We also went on the tour with Mandoo. It was the best tour we ever have taken. Will look forward to going with him again. He was waiting at the pier for us with a card with our names on it. He will take you to the beach at the end of the tour if you like and he stays there until you are ready to go back to the ship.

Has anyone done the Mandoo 1/2 day Spice Plantation Route tour? What time does he pick you up and how many hours is the tour?

Did anybody have him drop you off at a beach (Grand Anse or Mourne Rouge) after the tour?

Mandoo will pick up at a pre-agreed time and afterwards take you to the beach of your choice.

• 3 weeks later...

Mandoo was great. Picked us up, took us to a waterfall and spice plantation. After the tour he took us to a beautiful beach. The beach was nearly deserted and it was one of the best days we had on our cruise. I would definatly reccommend him.

Mandoo was great. Picked us up, took us to a waterfall and spice plantation. After the tour he took us to a beautiful beach. The beach was nearly deserted and it was one of the best days we had on our cruise. I would definatly reccommend him.

We're booked with Mandoo in January. Looking forward to this. I've had some nice correspondance vial e-mail with him as well.

Mandoo is GREAT!!!! Just returned and Mandoo and friend Patrick led our CC group on a wonderful 6 hour tour on Dec 6, which included a stop at Gem Beach. The island is beautiful, and was greatly effected by past hurricane. But it is in recovery, and worth the visit.

Mandoo has incredible knowledge and facts and figures of the political, historical, and economic situation in Grenada, and shares freely. Best part may have been sidebar conversations while tour group was viewing Lake Etang or Waterfall.

Would tour with him again without hesitation!

• 2 weeks later...

We have a group of 11 and Mandoo said he would put us in our own a/c van for a "private" tour. But then the next email said we would be following the other bus and he would be doing all the narration at the stops. Would we be better to just ride in the bus along with the rest of the group? Does he do narration while driving? Thanks for your helpl

• 2 weeks later...
We have a group of 11 and Mandoo said he would put us in our own a/c van for a "private" tour. But then the next email said we would be following the other bus and he would be doing all the narration at the stops. Would we be better to just ride in the bus along with the rest of the group? Does he do narration while driving? Thanks for your helpl

Yes he does narrate while driving,he has his own microphone and speakers in his van for this purpose.

Even if you do go in two separate vehicles I am sure he will tell you anything you want to know when you stop and inthe meantime you will be able to take in the fantastic views which appear around every corner.

• 1 month later...

I would also like recommend Mandoo as a tour guide. He was our guide for a CC group of about 12 on Jan. 17, 2006. We all agreed that we had a terrific time and learned so much about the island all while viewing spectacular scenery. He is very knowledgeable and quite articulate. I'm sure there are many guides on the island, but probably none could compare to Mandoo. If you take his tour, I'm sure you will be happy that you did.

Happy Cruising!

Kaye

I would also like recommend Mandoo as a tour guide. He was our guide for a CC group of about 12 on Jan. 17, 2006. We all agreed that we had a terrific time and learned so much about the island all while viewing spectacular scenery. He is very knowledgeable and quite articulate. I'm sure there are many guides on the island, but probably none could compare to Mandoo. If you take his tour, I'm sure you will be happy that you did.

Happy Cruising!

Kaye

Which part of Grenada did you visit on your tour and which place did you find the most interesting?

Per the recommendations on this forum, I contacted Mandoo via email for a half-day tour for 1/26 and indeed he was waiting for us at the dock with my name on a sign and he was just as wonderful as all of you have said. I was very impressed with him. I noticed all the little kids waving at him everywhere we went and I asked him about it and he said he goes to the schools and gives speeches to the kids and that is how they all know him. We went to the spice plantation, the waterfalls and then he took us to the Mon Rouge beach restaurant and I offered to buy him his lunch and he let us do that and then he took us back to the downtown area and dropped us off at a shopping mall. It was a great day and I thoroughly recommend him. He charged us $45 per person for the tour.

Of the six tours we took on various islands, Mandoo was the most professional of all the drivers. He was also the only one who used a microphone which was appreciated.

We're booked for Mandoo, looking forward to his tour. Quick questions;

1. What footwear do you recommend. Is the hiking mucky?

2. Is there somewhere to change into a suit at the beach? I'd rather not wear my bathing suit during the tour.

We're booked for Mandoo, looking forward to his tour. Quick questions;

1. What footwear do you recommend. Is the hiking mucky?

It is a rainforest so yes expect some mud- you will need to wear some sensible footwear (not new trainers either or they won't look new for much longer).Some of the hikes take in waterfalls where you can have a dip in the cooling waters at their base so you might want to wear your bathing suit to take advantage of the opportunity.

2. Is there somewhere to change into a suit at the beach? I'd rather not wear my bathing suit during the tour.

The beaches are not equipped with changing rooms etc.

When is your visit?

A friend and I had Mandoo all to ourselves for a wonderful tour on 1/29. He is an intelligent gentleman with great knowledge of the island. We fed bananas to monkeys (who rush to greet him when they know he has arrived at the site--he is dressed in white usually and he calls to the monkeys), bought spices at the plantation, learned so much about the vegetation and history of the people and the island. We stopped to pick up several people he knew to drive them to church which was on our way and quite a distance for them to walk. He is kind and considerate and took us everywhere he could from 9 until 3. He was waiting for us and all the other guides obviously respect him and made sure we found him immediately.

We also invited him to join us for lunch and then he had a siesta while we enjoyed the beach for a few hours. There are no official changing rooms, but a restroom at the restaurant you can use. No shower though.

It was a wonderful day and I can't say enough good things about Mandoo.

I might add that I just returned from a 14 day HAL Ryndam Caribbean cruise and every tour I planned using info from cc thread recommendations was great. I spent alot of time reading through the posts for each island we visited but it was worth it. I reserved the guides/tours several months in advance and each one was exactly as described and better than expected. Thanks to all cc members who post such good, helpful info. Our experiences were far better than what we heard from those who only took the HAL shore excursions--and we usually had the guides all to ourselves for virtually private tours.

Have a great cruise. It's tough to come back to winter and reality!:(

A friend and I had Mandoo all to ourselves for a wonderful tour on 1/29. He is an intelligent gentleman with great knowledge of the island. We fed bananas to monkeys (who rush to greet him when they know he has arrived at the site--he is dressed in white usually and he calls to the monkeys), bought spices at the plantation, learned so much about the vegetation and history of the people and the island. We stopped to pick up several people he knew to drive them to church which was on our way and quite a distance for them to walk. He is kind and considerate and took us everywhere he could from 9 until 3. He was waiting for us and all the other guides obviously respect him and made sure we found him immediately.

We also invited him to join us for lunch and then he had a siesta while we enjoyed the beach for a few hours. There are no official changing rooms, but a restroom at the restaurant you can use. No shower though.

It was a wonderful day and I can't say enough good things about Mandoo.

I might add that I just returned from a 14 day HAL Ryndam Caribbean cruise and every tour I planned using info from cc thread recommendations was great. I spent alot of time reading through the posts for each island we visited but it was worth it. I reserved the guides/tours several months in advance and each one was exactly as described and better than expected. Thanks to all cc members who post such good, helpful info. Our experiences were far better than what we heard from those who only took the HAL shore excursions--and we usually had the guides all to ourselves for virtually private tours.

Have a great cruise. It's tough to come back to winter and reality!:(

Was it the beach at Morne Rouge that he took you to for some beach relaxation?

denboy--sorry I can't confirm the name of the restaurant but it was right on the beach and "rustic". A bar facing the beach, tables behind the bar up a step and then across the hallway there was a large room with tables that appeared to be available for large groups. No one was using it at the time. On the beach to the left there were some vendors and chair rentals but the area was quite small compared to Grand Anse I think. Behind the restaurant I think there was a building that was possibly a small hotel? It seems I recall Mandoo saying something about that, but after such a full day of information and lovely sights, these things kind of run together in your mind!

Reading these posts just makes me more excited to see Grenada. Based on recommendations on the CC Board, 4 of us booked Mandoo for 4.5 hours. I don't think I have ever read a bad review regarding Mandoo or the people of Grenada.

Archived