No more discount parking at Ft. Lauderdale airport effective April 19

jmf123

Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport will eliminate its economy parking lot on April 19, moving travelers into a parking garage where they’ll pay twice as much and find fewer spaces – although they’ll be closer to the terminal.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/transportation/fl-sb-airport-changing-signs-parking-20170302-story.html

• 3 months later...

I'm a local and read about this as well. Several, airports around the US are going through similar changes. I believe Chicago and LGA too. You can use a parking reservation search engine site like cheapairportparking.org. In know for FLL in particular, they have about 5-6 good offsite airport parking lots near FLL that have lower rates. It also depends on how far you can book in advance.

Replacing the 4,000 spaces in the economy lot with 3,100 spaces that were formally for employees on the top three levels of the garage (above the rental car drop off) is in the end a more useful arrangement. Though obviously more costly. I've yet to see signs that the Hibiscus Garage is completely full since those extra spaces opened up in the Cypress Garage, and there have always been short-terms spots available outside both Terminals 1 and 2 so overflow from the garages parking there has seemingly stopped.

Yes the discount for the economy lot is gone. It went a year or more earlier at MIA as well, to less fanfare because that lot was almost always nearly empty when I used it.