Does the Volendam when in Shanghai always dock at the International Cruise Terminal

sailingdutchy

Question for people who have been there . When docking in Shanghai does the Volendam always dock on the River near the downtown area ? There are three Cruise terminals in Shanghai two on the bay and this one on the river Huangpu . For some reason HAL could not tell me where we dock ???:rolleyes: It is rather important to know if you go touring because of distances and traffic . Looking forward to 3 days in Shanghai , Tony :):):)

I was on the Volendam in October 2016 and we docked on the river by the Bund. The captain had said this was their regular berth. The Amsterdam also docks there during the World cruise. It should be noted that we were 14 hours late docking due to bad weather and river conditions so tours were cancelled on the first day. We docked at 9pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My experience is from 2002, so take it for what it may be worth.

Our previous port was the port for Bejing. Due to Immigration issues related to the crew manifests that turned out to be false, the Volendam was late to sail. There is a traffic scheme for ships coming into and out of that harbor. Volendam missed her expected slot and had to wait for some time until the next outbound slot opened. Thus, she arrived later in Shanghai than was planned. As a result, she missed the tide in order to dock in the downtown area. The ship docked outside of town some distance away in a container port area.

I was on a HAL Bejing-Xian-Shanghai tour at the time. Due to the distance from the city where Volendam was docked, our Shanghai tour had to be cut short somewhat so that the tour operator could get us to the ship on time.

While I am sure that the downtown area is where HAL prefers to have the ship docked, one has to realize that "stuff happens" that can affect such plans.

I was on the Volendam in October 2016 and we docked on the river by the Bund. The captain had said this was their regular berth. The Amsterdam also docks there during the World cruise. It should be noted that we were 14 hours late docking due to bad weather and river conditions so tours were cancelled on the first day. We docked at 9pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you very much for this hastinc . When you mentioned the Amsterdam where our friends are on this years World Cruise so I looked at Captain Jonathans cruise blog and saw that they docked near the Bund near downtown like you had mentioned ! I did not realize that the tide also had so much to do with docking time slots . Thanks :)