Shore Excursions - How Much ??!!!

ToadOfToadHall

The shore excursions have just appeared for the cruise we are on in June (QV around the med). Most of them are $40 - $80 or so each. But some are $1000 or more. One in Gibraltar is $1,750 per person. These ones are full days in a private car.

Surely no one books these ? You could just hire a car for the day or pay a taxi for a day. I could have a week away for the price of a single Cunard excursion !

The shore excursions have just appeared for the cruise we are on in June (QV around the med). Most of them are $40 - $80 or so each. But some are $1000 or more. One in Gibraltar is $1,750 per person. These ones are full days in a private car.

Surely no one books these ? You could just hire a car for the day or pay a taxi for a day. I could have a week away for the price of a single Cunard excursion !

While on QV we wanted a wheelchair accessible van for a trip into Burgess they come back to us onboard with a £1200 price for a 4 hour tour [emoji23][emoji23] I phoned a taxi the night before to meet us the gate cost €100 return.

Sadly Cunard do not do accessible tours anymore, I'm not surprised that the prices they wanted..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There must be some mistake as Gibraltar visits are usually only half a day. According to Cunard's website you don't arrive until early afternoon and leave evening.

You would think the charge for this facility would be fairly standard, but in fact the rate is entirely governed by the providers/ availability and can vary by hundreds of dollars for a half day hire depending which part of the world/port you are in. I would say the rate we accept as reasonable [for the two of us]has been between $300/500 for a half day car/driver and guide, slightly less if the driver doubled as the guide.

At the price you quoted, we would have laughed and gone for the Panoramic $75 tour.

As a footnote, we get Cunard to book it as it's always perfectly organised and it's their problem if 'anything' happens!

There must be some mistake as Gibraltar visits are usually only half a day. According to Cunard's website you don't arrive until early afternoon and leave evening.

I just checked the port schedule, and the QV arrives 12 noon and doesn't leave till 22.00, so an 8 hour excursion is do-able.

I just took another look at Cunard's website which says:

This excursion will operate by private minibus. Private minibuses are ordered per vehicle (not per person) and will accommodate up to 8 guests. Only one person in the party needs to book the vehicle.

So the price would be $218 per person.Still a bit steep though.

I just took another look at Cunard's website which says:

This excursion will operate by private minibus. Private minibuses are ordered per vehicle (not per person) and will accommodate up to 8 guests. Only one person in the party needs to book the vehicle.

So the price would be $218 per person.Still a bit steep though.

So it does, you are right. I did not click on the "view and book" bit.

Mind you, $1750 for a minibus for the day, I am clearly in the wrong game - I did not know minibus drivers charged £180 a hour !

Cunard seem to have put their prices up over the last few months. I did a Canaries cruise on QE in December and the Cunard prices were generally 50% higher than P&O charged when I went back in January. Previous years there hasn't been much difference between the two companies. Of course the drop in value of the GBP against the USD hasn't helped.

Highest price I've seen for an excursion though was $3,299 per person on Holland America - a flight to Antarctica from Punta Arenas and it was sold out!