Best airport to fly into for Anthem

I am sure this has been asked several times. If we fly in from Maine (short flight) on the day of cruise what is the best way to get to the port? Should we fly into Newark? Thanks for any replies. Dan

Normally we ALWAYS fly in the day before when we go south to depart.

Newark (EWR) is closest. I'd engage a car service to get to the port.

Check with the East Coast Departures forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

LGA is having a lot of construction. I would avoid for 2017 totally. From JFK a 45 minute ride with no traffic......and there is always traffic to the Verrazanno Bridge....10 minutes further is the Bayonne Bridge, right by port. Vicki

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi! It really depends on the day of the week, and the time of the year. I would not do a 10:30 AM flight on a Friday in Winter but might consider one on a Saturday in May. A lot of factors to consider.

Good luck!

- Clancy

Highway traffic isn't an issue at 10:30 any day. Local roads near port can get congested though with cruise traffic and trucks from nearby container port.

Larger risk is your flight is delayed. EWR has one of worst on-time records in country. Also remember 10:30 is when plane is scheduled to touch down. You need to add 10 minutes or so for plane to taxi to terminal, and often over 1/2 hour for luggage to appear. Flew in from FLL Friday afternoon on smallish Jetblue Embraer 190 and didn't exit terminal until an hour after touchdown.

I know this sort of thing gets asked a lot and the general answer is usually "fly in the night before"... But would a 10:30 AM landing in EWR give us sufficient leeway to get to the port for Anthem?

I'm assuming boarding for Anthem usually closes around 2:00 pm?

If you are on one of the 3pm departures, yes, boarding closes at 2 pm. I would only fly in that late if I had no other choice. I would also make sure I was flying non-stop and not on a discount airline that flies one flight a day to EWR.

You can get from EWR to port in under 15 minutes. LGA and JFK are probably 30+ minutes extra without traffic. Add in having to cross two high traffic bridges/tunnels and it's really a no-brainer.

Under 15 minutes? Google maps has 20 + minutes. How fast do you drive?:D