Transition to casual areas after 6pm

Velvetwater

We only sailed on QE last week and certainly didn't notice (on the daily programme) that casual dress was allowed in the Yacht Club area during the evening on formal night.

Appreciate your swift, first hand response. Maybe the new ruling from central command at Southampton hasn't reached the Southern Hemisphere yet. :)

M-AR

Not dining tonight? Ring the dining room and the message will get to your waiter.

Black jeans? Short of stooping to look I don't see how anyone could tell, or be bothered anyway.

There is a tendency for some to make up rules that don't exist. Enjoy!!

DAVID

Kind of hard to pop into G32 dressed casually without traipsing through perhaps the most formal venue on any evening.

Sadly the on shore crowd that writes up the attire code information have never been on board a Cunard ship so they have no idea how fraught with danger they are sending in these "casual" attire folks. Reminds me of the poem about the charge of the light brigade.

Kind of hard to pop into G32 dressed casually without traipsing through perhaps the most formal venue on any evening.

That's what I was thinking too. Personally, I can understand casual attire in Kings Court and Carinthia Lounge, but G32? - No, that makes no sense to me.

You go down to the Restaurant just before serving, there is always someone from your station setting up the table. Or you may be lucky and see a table mate in one of the lounges. You can also pick up the telephone and speak to the maitre d and ask to get the message to your table.

To be courteous and well mannered sometimes one has to put up with a little inconvenience.

I agree, and this is what we always do if for any reason we are not going to be at dinner that evening. It is the polite thing to do.

You are quite correct that you do not have to let any one know that you are not having Dinner,

However I was brought up to be courteous and polite, so I let my fellow table mates or waiter know I will not be eating at the table, so that they do not hang around waiting for us. Its very unfair on the waiting staff to expect them to keep running from the restaurant to table with everyones different courses. That is why you will notice them waiting. When other table mates order more than one starter, the waiting staff will always serve all the table their main course together then the pudding .

Well said Pennbank :)

I agree, and this is what we always do if for any reason we are not going to be at dinner that evening. It is the polite thing to do.
Hi maggiemou :)

Well said :)

As Lilydes correctly state, you do not have to inform anyone. Just as you don't have to say "please/thank you/good morning/evening" etc.

There is no compulsion it seems to be polite; every day I see/hear people who get by perfectly well in this modern world without being polite to anyone.

It may be just me of course, but I have observed over the years that people appear to be more polite on board than is usual elsewhere.

Sincere best wishes to you, and many happy sailings.