Soda Machines

No, ours is almost $11/day for our cruise. And it doesn't include juice, which defeats the purpose since we only go to the dining room for dinner. I've also read that there isn't quite as much free juice around as on Carnival. Again, it's not a big deal, we will survive. ;)

Last cruise on RCCL, we did not get the ultimate package, but we got the next package down. Unlimited alcoholic drinks up to about $12 and unlimited Coke. The ultimate package includes coffees (I don't like coffee) and juices. Funny that orange juice was $3 or 4, but mimosas were included.

Perhaps I misunderstood the original comment. The machines I used were not vending machines, they are the Coke Freestyle machines. You don't put money in it. They use a cup that is distributed to those who purchase a drink package and has an RFID tag that activates the machine.

I should point out this seems like it was part of a deal between the two companies. So I wouldn't count on it coming to carnival any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The problem with RCI freestyle machine to me is there is no proper way to clean your cup all cruise.

It can be rinsed, but no real way for it to get clean. I ended up just going to the bar anyway.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

You could always do what I do...use a washcloth with hand soap (or a paper towel if you're in one of the public bathrooms) and wash it out. Just make sure you rinse it really well. :)

With the Freestyle machine, you get a large selection. Coke, Coke Zero, Diet Coke, Root beer (Diet & regular), Fanta orange(diet & regular), GingerAle (Diet & regular) Tropicana flavored, and many more Then you can add flavorings.

They have quite a few packages available. Royal also sends you an e-mail about a month before you trip , that if you buy the package within 48 hours of the notification, you get a dollar a day off, ad no taxes.

They also have a punch coffee card that gives you 15 specialty coffee for $31. This is also offered on the e-mail discount.

I should point out this seems like it was part of a deal between the two companies. So I wouldn't count on it coming to carnival any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The machines were not created for Royal, they just worked with Coke to have them deployed on their boats. They are popping up all over town at fast food restaurants that compete with each other. I don't see why Carnival couldn't get these if they want them, they already sell Coke products so it doesn't seem like a big leap. Carnival may not want them for reasons that are their own.

I saw a hack where a kid got the RFID chip out of the cup for royal so that he didn't have to carry it around all cruise. With Carnival going to the RFID tracker at some point I could see if being included in all of that.

As I stated earlier I would love it, it honestly would prompt me to get the package for myself and my wife and not just our daughter. I like caffeine free soda and my wife loves getting the flavored water drinks from the restaurants we go to that has them.

As for a tie up I think Royal just probably negotiated a contract with Coca Cola to get them installed on their ships just as Carnival will have to. I remember reading when Coca Cola first introduced these that they aren't cheap to get and you are leasing them from coke you don't own them. I don't know if they still do that or not to be honest.

I think Carnival should do like the Coca Cola exhibit at Epcot Center where you can get coke products from all over the world, some awesome (and some NASTY) flavors. One of my favorites was watermelon flavored I can't remember where it was from.

Golly, I sure wish Carnival would install these on their ships. It was really nice not having t go to a bar to get a soda on my last 3 RCCL cruises. You get a large selection and don't have to fight to get waited on. No signing slips of paper. Easy for kids to use.

That is one thing we really took advantage of on the Freedom of the Seas last year. The sugar free water flavors were fantastic. Maybe someday Carnival will do the same?

I think Carnival should do like the Coca Cola exhibit at Epcot Center where you can get coke products from all over the world, some awesome (and some NASTY) flavors. One of my favorites was watermelon flavored I can't remember where it was from.

Also my favorite international flavor, which I think was from Japan or the Korea. If ever in Roatan try the banana soda from the local Coca-Cola bottling company.

Our last cruise was on RCCL, and I got the drink package. Yes, I like the Freestyle machines. However, it got to be too much of a hassle to lug the cup around. I ended up keeping the cup in the room, and I went for the bar if I wanted a Coke.

Good sturdy cup though. Still functional, even after almost two years.

Yep, lugging around the cup was the biggest p.i.t.a. And, of course, there was always a chance someone could steal your cup if you left it visible by your lounger, etc.

Why RCL doesn't sell a logo cup 'holster' or a cup bandolier is beyond me. Seems like a no-brainer way to exact more cash out of their customers.

Machine or no machine.....

The worst part of the carnival bubbles package is having to sign a damn $.0 slip for every soda.

Absolutely. It's silly and a waste of time for both the cruiser and the poor bartender, who has to make a non-revenue transaction EVERY time. (To counteract that, I'll tack a quarter or 50 cents on there as a tip IF the bartender is pleasant...it really makes them smile.)

Regarding deployment of FreeStyle machines on Carnival (and on RCCL's ships that don't have them).....

The machines ARE quite expensive to purchase....about $50,000 each. Most of the machines you see "in the wild" (at Burger King, Wendy's, Firehouse Subs, etc.) are undoubtedly leased.

To lease one, Coca-Cola charges an additional $300/month above and beyond the cost for supplies, etc.

Is it worth it?

Well, maybe. I've elected to visit one location over another because of the presence of a FreeStyle machine.

RCCL's general excuse for not installing them on all ships is that they only install them on ships that are based year-round in the States. I find that to be a bit silly because it wouldn't be particularly hard to un-install them and store them Stateside (or down belowdecks somewhere) when a ship is redeployed across the Pond. This is a multibillion dollar company; I'd think it's within their budget to lease a couple of machines per ship and, if necessary, warehouse them at the port (or even install them in the terminal waiting area) when the ship repo's. As popular as the machines are, I'd think it would be a no-brainer "to enhance the customer experience."

RCCL's apparent reluctance to install the machines more widely might be part of the reason why Carnival hasn't pulled the trigger. There may be other factors at play. Cost of supplies for the machines, maybe? I can't see it being a maintenance or training issue; after all, if the high-school kids at my local Burger King can keep the machines supplied and running, I'd think a ship's crew could manage it.

I'd love it if Carnival installed them -- after all, where else in the world can you get a tasty Raspberry Diet Coke? -- but I don't expect it anytime soon.

Also my favorite international flavor, which I think was from Japan or the Korea. If ever in Roatan try the banana soda from the local Coca-Cola bottling company.

I was actually there last year. Next time we cruise there I will definitely have to try it out. Thanks for the heads up.

RCI signed an exclusivity contract with Coke that may not have expired yet and that could be the reason that Carnival does not have them at this point. Every mass market ship besides NCL uses Coke products, but no one else has them because of the exclusivity clause. The machines are also different from the ones at your local venue because they are marine ready because of the water factor. RCI only has them on their ships that are USA based year round because they can't get the flavor cartridges overseas.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app