Getaway BX guaranteed balcony

I think there are only 4 BX staterooms on the Getaway (the 4 forward-most balconies on Deck 8). If they are still available on your sailing, you can ask for one of them and you won't have to wonder where you will end up with your GTY assignment. But if you stick with your GTY booking, you will most likely get a higher category within the balcony metacategory (since there are so few balconies that actually belong to the lowest category BX).

I always do the GTY category. I still get the perks, and never really mind where they put me. It always shows up as "BX" until they assign you your room number. Sometimes it works out that the room is nothing stellar, just alright, works just fine, and sometimes you get lucky! Last time I sailed with a GTY balcony, they switched my room on the day of sailing. I was assigned a room on deck 9, a perfectly adequate balcony room, all the way up until I got to the port. When I arrived, they switched my room to a spa balcony and moved me up to deck 14 and felt like royalty! I don't mind surprises, and that was a doozy. I blew all my good luck for the year on that one for sure. I guess if you know *exactly* which room you'd like (location, orientation - some folks NEED to be near O'Sheehans for the midnight feast - etc.), then you should book it. But if you don't mind where you get placed and also don't mind the occasional happy surprise, stick with GTY.

I think there are only 4 BX staterooms on the Getaway (the 4 forward-most balconies on Deck 8). If they are still available on your sailing, you can ask for one of them and you won't have to wonder where you will end up with your GTY assignment. But if you stick with your GTY booking, you will most likely get a higher category within the balcony metacategory (since there are so few balconies that actually belong to the lowest category BX).

This is what I was thinking. BTW, those 4 BX balconies you mention are rooms that have been reviewed very positively. On my cruise, a 14 day TransAtlantic, when we booked the Guaranted Balcony it was just $799.:):) Today that price is $300 more! It was so good a price I just had to book it.

At that price I imagined many also thought it was too good to pass up. I really do not care where we end up as long as I can sit outside and look at the ocean day, after day, after day.:D I love sea days, and there are 10 of them on this cruise.

Is there anyway to determine how many cabins have actually been booked 'to date" for any cruise? I wonder how close to sold out this cruise is.

[...] Last time I sailed with a GTY balcony, they switched my room on the day of sailing. I was assigned a room on deck 9, a perfectly adequate balcony room, all the way up until I got to the port. When I arrived, they switched my room to a spa balcony and moved me up to deck 14 and felt like royalty! [...]

Oh my! I think I would be ok with that too. May the upgrade fairy be always in your favor.:eek:

We booked a BX on Getaway for a transatlantic cruise this October. A couple of weeks ago, a friend who also booked a BX got an upgrade to a midship balcony on Deck 9 Cat BB. She thought it might have been because she had already made final payment. I went ahead and made final payment and my confirmation email said we had received a complimentary upgrade to a Cat BB midship balcony on the opposite side of the ship from my friends.

I'm sure we must be on the same cruise. We too are paid in full but we have not been assigned a cabin. I assumed that we would not get an assignment until late summer.

You might give NCL a call and tell them you know of two couples who got complimentary upgrades after making final payment. Did you book through NCL or TA?

We booked a BX guaranteed balcony and I wondered if when you are assigned your cabin, will your category of room be BX? Or does NCL assign you to other categories of balconies?

We got our cabin assignment on the Getaway almost 6 months before sailing (April, 2917). My NCL still shows it as a BX cabin but when you look it up, it falls in the BD category (the bottom). Not unhappy, got the starboard side which I wanted for a TA heading East and an oversize balcony. Wouldn't have chosen deck 12, Splash Academy, because of reports of kids running in the halls early morning. That can happen anywhere, and does, even in the Haven,so we're staying put. Enjoy the low price that you got for your cruise; you saved A LOT over the fares that include "free" drinks, food, etc.

Your happy post just made my day -- or at least got my hopes up. I'm so curious if your free upgrade gave you access to the spa facilities that normally comes with a spa balcony? Thanks!:cool:

quote=Stellanor;52485241]I always do the GTY category. I still get the perks, and never really mind where they put me. It always shows up as "BX" until they assign you your room number. Sometimes it works out that the room is nothing stellar, just alright, works just fine, and sometimes you get lucky! Last time I sailed with a GTY balcony, they switched my room on the day of sailing. I was assigned a room on deck 9, a perfectly adequate balcony room, all the way up until I got to the port. When I arrived, they switched my room to a spa balcony and moved me up to deck 14 and felt like royalty! I don't mind surprises, and that was a doozy. I blew all my good luck for the year on that one for sure. I guess if you know *exactly* which room you'd like (location, orientation - some folks NEED to be near O'Sheehans for the midnight feast - etc.), then you should book it. But if you don't mind where you get placed and also don't mind the occasional happy surprise, stick with GTY.