Possibility of Skagway Excursion when Porting in Haines?

Becoming

If someone has a port time in Haines of 6:30 a.m. - 9 p.m., can they board the 6:45 a.m. ferry to Skagway? Is it possible to make a train/bus tour with Chilkoot in Skagway that is scheduled from 8:30 until 4 p.m.?

Thanks for your input!

Patti

I would tell Chilkoot and ask their recommendation for times. I think you will be fine. People won't be anxious to get off the ship at that time in the morning.

Sorry, but having had this port time, I disagree. There are multiple people who want the early start in Alaska.

If someone has a port time in Haines of 6:30 a.m. - 9 p.m., can they board the 6:45 a.m. ferry to Skagway? Is it possible to make a train/bus tour with Chilkoot in Skagway that is scheduled from 8:30 until 4 p.m.?

Thanks for your input!

Patti

You can not count on a ship, always clearing on time. Will the next ferry get you there in time, if you miss this one. they do not wait. As already mentioned, get this advice direct from Chilkoot Charters and go with what they recommend. I'd suggest, instead, just flying there and taking the ferry back, on this tight time schedule.

Personally I'd explore the area in/around Haines and save Skagway for your next Alaska cruise. Almost every cruise stops in Skagway, very few stop in Haines.

Rent a car and drive several hours out of Haines and back or maybe a flightseeing trip with Mountain Flying Service over Glacier Bay.

Personally I'd explore the area in/around Haines and save Skagway for your next Alaska cruise. Almost every cruise stops in Skagway, very few stop in Haines.

Rent a car and drive several hours out of Haines and back or maybe a flightseeing trip with Mountain Flying Service over Glacier Bay.

I too greatly enjoy the Haines Highway drive and time at Chilkook Lake. Murray has a very good guide on his http://www.explorenorth.com site.

Thanks for the responses!

I'm actually asking this question for a friend who thinks they will only cruise to Alaska one time.

I called the Haines Ferry and the gal seemed to think it was a very doable schedule.

I'm hoping to hear from someone who has done this.

Thanks again and have a great day!

Patti

Thanks for the responses!

I'm actually asking this question for a friend who thinks they will only cruise to Alaska one time.

I called the Haines Ferry and the gal seemed to think it was a very doable schedule.

I'm hoping to hear from someone who has done this.

Thanks again and have a great day!

Patti

It would appear that the lady in Haines and Dyea Dave in Skagway are the subject matter experts. I would trust them since they are right there and this is what they do on a daily basis - who would know more than them? :)

It would appear that the lady in Haines and Dyea Dave in Skagway are the subject matter experts. I would trust them since they are right there and this is what they do on a daily basis - who would know more than them? :)

Thanks for this insight!

Patti