Mercury compared from last year to this year

Joyfredsblondecruiser

Joy, I am very sorry to hear that the food was poor for you and Fred on our trip. For my own experience, I don't eat fish or shellfish and am not keen on lamb so I make good use of the chicken and beef dishes. I have to say that I didn't have one bad cut of beef (and I had it on four nights). I asked for it medium and it was always cooked to my exact liking and wasn't tough in any way. I am not the worlds fussiest eater, but I am quite picky. As I am from Yorkshire I had to try the beef and Yorkshire pud and it was delicious. Peggy, I too had the pork one night (don't think it was a chop, more a slice with a stuffing in the middle) and that too was delicious. I enjoyed those dishes more than the chicken ones, which were much more 'average' to me. So there appears to be a lack of consistency in what was offered. It can't be a taste thing. Tough is tough and that's not good.:(

Phil

Fred addressed this situation to the waiter as I have said before and he argued with him. Fred who did not go on this cruise to argue or fight just got up and left the table. I feel in my opinion the food and service was down from last year and the reason I put this on the board is to let others know and see if anyone else had similar experiences. I found the Matre`d to be very nice in listening to what I had to say about the food. I will also say that we found the chairs in the rooms to be unsteady too. I enjoyed the cruise tours and the ship. I was very excited to think I would be back on the Mercury again before our cruise. I was sorry I did not have the same feeling as before because last year everything was perfect. I doubt that I will go back on the Mercury again. We loved the food on the Saphire Princess in April and also on the Jewel of the Sea in Aug, Sept. I have never complained about a cruise ship before but I did talk to many people that were not happy either, one said as I was getting my bags that she intended to write a review on here too about her disenchantment. I will say even a bad cruise is better than no cruise at all. I know it is hard for others to understand if their food was good. It is not just the food I think many things were slipping on the ship. Happy Sailing, Joy

Hi Phil thank you for the kind words. My hands were really tied because of my cousin not wanting me to say anything about the waiter. He felt he was tired and over worked and that I should not say anything about it. I know myself you have to address a situation at the time and it can be done in a polite way. Happy Sailing, Joy

I just want to add this. The waiter only argued one time so perhaps he was having an off day. The food issue was reported to the Matre`d and he was very nice but it was out of his control. My cousin wrote two letters while on the ship and he felt they should of been given to the Executive Chef but they were sent to the Matre`d to handle. Happy Sailing, Joy

Just got off the Mercury this morning. Over all a great cruise. Thought the Mercury was a great ship. Our cabin was great, lots of room. Only complaint I had was that our cabin was towards the back of deck 8. We had loud rumblings and vibration everyday in port. While we were at sea it was very smooth. We're awake at 5 Am this morning because of the noise and vibration in our cabin.

Would never book again at the back of this ship.

About the food. I found the food to be ok, in the dinning room. We had a great waiter and he couldn't do enough to please us. I just found that the food was the same everyday. It was always a .....fish dish

steak ( that was sometimes tough) lamb, or pork. I really missed not having chicken on the menu. The couple of nights it was 1/2 chicken???

We did find the buffet good, and the sushi was great. Pizza was good also.

I really can't complain, but this was our 1st time on Celebrity and I was really expecting great food at the dinner tables.

On the Lobster night everyone at our table couldn't eat it, as it was sooooooooo tough!!!!

We had a great time, and plan on sailing again on Celebrity.

Thankyou for your review. We are staying in Cabin 8090...mid-ship. How was the cabin layout? Ours is supposed to have a queen and pullout loveseat. Is there a mini fridge? Any info. is appreciated. Thanks.

Peace..............Anna:)

We were in 8247, outside deluxe. The layout was great. Queen bed, small sofa, coffee table and dresser. Lots of closets and drawers. Bathroom had lots of room also. We like hard beds so we didn't find any need for a egg crate on our bed.

It was a great cabin. Other than the rumbling and vibration it was good. Would book an outside deluxe again. The insides are basically the same. It was nice being at the back, as we could access the back of the ship and up to the indoor pool, and buffet :rolleyes: After stepping on the scales today, maybe it was to easy:eek:

We had a great time, and would do the cruise again. Other than the pools closing early, and the food in the dinning room being ok. There really wasn't anything to complain about.

Crew is very friendly, lots to do, and we really enjoyed the ports

Have fun on your cruise

Thankyou Karen for getting back to me so quickly. #8090 is an outside deluxe as well so the layout should be the same. Glad to hear you had a great time. Can't wait until we sail in January.

Peace..............Anna:)

Thanks for the review and welcome home! Sorry about that scale... it's a known fact that it's all WATER WEIGHT....(from a cruise...right?)

Do you remember what time muster was? I'd like to get a definite answer so our CC roll can plan a get together. I realize this is not the high point of a cruise and perhaphs it's forgotten after ten or eleven great evenings!

if you remember- please do tell! tia

Sorry for jumping in the thread but I was awake...oh Happy Thanksgiving.

rianvi................the answer is yes, we were in a cat 5 OV on Mercury and really needed the little fridge as the waiter brought extra desserts every stinkin' night!

Always interesting to read the reviews, not right or wrong, just different. I have to admit I always enjoy the good ones more. Sorry your cruise was not up to par.

Archived