New software on the Royal for AIBP

Todd320

Just off the Royal and they have implemented a new software relating to the AIBP. It is not all about the sticker anymore. When they slide your card the new system recognizes your AIBP, before it was slid only for appearance and inventory control. On the Royal on Feb 28th (sail date) because of a bug it would not recognize the AIBP before 3 pm which created a headache for the bar manager. With the old system it was up to the bartender to hit the screen button for the AIRP solely based on the sticker on the card. This would lead to errant charges if the bartender doesn't hit the correct button. Even though you still receive the sticker in theory you don't need it anymore. Your favorite bartenders still treat you the same way once they know you and have your number written down or memorized.

The new system will limit some but not ALL of the shenanigans related to the AIBP. It will put an end to sticker transfer from claimed lost cards or from old cruise cards if the color matched the current one given the three colored system. I like the new system because I don't have to spend time having errant charges removed and it helps protect the product that I am paying for.

It's always fun watching people "try it on" at the bars. In Club 6, the bar staff had one of the scanners that are used when boarding the ship - a scan of the card brought up a photo of the passenger.

Amusing to hear the excuses "My mother must have taken my card" or similar coming from 19/20 year-old's who were refused alcohol.

Thanks for the update.

I would think the errant charge thing will not go away though.

I'm sure it probably won't be perfect but I have to say there were no mistakes on our statement yesterday when we left the Royal. That is a first for us relating to the AIBP. We cruise the Royal at least 50 days a season with 29 Jan being the last cruise before the 28 Feb cruise and all our cruises before the 28 Feb cruise have had multiple mistakes relating to the AIPB.

It's always fun watching people "try it on" at the bars. In Club 6, the bar staff had one of the scanners that are used when boarding the ship - a scan of the card brought up a photo of the passenger.

Amusing to hear the excuses "My mother must have taken my card" or similar coming from 19/20 year-old's who were refused alcohol.

I bet the bartenders were having a good time with that. We cruised once with our friends who brought their teenage daughter and every night she was falling down drunk because she would take her mothers card with the sticker and the cruise staff did not question her age, she was 16 years old. We never cruised with them again. I am glad they are doing this now.