Eurodam Internet Question

HermmyGranger

So I'm a bit confused by what I've read in various posts on the forum. Obviously, I know that HAL offers several internet packages of different minutes to be used during the cruise. What confuses me is that it seems like people are saying there is some sort of "free" wifi you can connect to and use for free texting apps (Cruise Messenger, WhatsApp, etc.)? Am I just misreading?

So I'm a bit confused by what I've read in various posts on the forum. Obviously, I know that HAL offers several internet packages of different minutes to be used during the cruise. What confuses me is that it seems like people are saying there is some sort of "free" wifi you can connect to and use for free texting apps (Cruise Messenger, WhatsApp, etc.)? Am I just misreading?

You can connect to the wifi signal for free. This will give you access to services that are on the ship, such as the new Navigator function, and possibly some local messenger applications. This is commonly know as inTRAnet. Functions here can not access anything off the ship. Anything that requires access off the ship requires the inTERnet, which is what you pay for and is limited to the minutes you pay for.

WhatApp relies on external services so it would not work on the inTRAnet.

Wifi is not synonymous with internet. There is free wifi to a home page on the ship's server. That page offers functions like checking your onboard account, reservations, activities, menus, etc. You can connect to this page with any laptop/tablet/phone that has a browser. One of the available functions is "connect to paid internet". :)

Rich: your post hadn't appeared yet when I started typing! :)

But do they offer unlimited paid internet on HAL. By the minute would make me crazy!
Some ships may still have it, but not all. Our last two ships, Koningsdam (Oct '16) and Oosterdam (Dec 16) did not have it, nor did the Eurodam the last time we were on her in Nov '15. On all those ships they had the old pricing tiers: $55 for 100 minutes, $100 for 250 minutes, I think $250 for 1000 minutes. Edited by catl331

But do they offer unlimited paid internet on HAL. By the minute would make me crazy!

Then prepare to be crazy. The Eurodam's packages are by the minute. I have to use the Internet for business, so I purchased a large Internet package (250 minutes is $100 and 1,000 minutes is $250.) I also bought a 4G international data roaming package through my cellular provider so I could use my phone as a hotspot in port.

It's expensive and I only use it because I have to. If I wanted to use the Internet for non-business stuff and it was really important to me, I'd take a land based vacation.

Then prepare to be crazy. The Eurodam's packages are by the minute. I have to use the Internet for business, so I purchased a large Internet package (250 minutes is $100 and 1,000 minutes is $250.) I also bought a 4G international data roaming package through my cellular provider so I could use my phone as a hotspot in port.

It's expensive and I only use it because I have to. If I wanted to use the Internet for non-business stuff and it was really important to me, I'd take a land based vacation.

Other cruise lines offer unlimited high speed internet. So no need to take a land based vacation if you want internet for non business stuff. I know some of HAL ships offer unlimited as well (though no sure how fast), just hoping the one I'm on does. I want to be able to stream music and check facebook and call home via wifi calling.

Other cruise lines offer unlimited high speed internet. So no need to take a land based vacation if you want internet for non business stuff. I know some of HAL ships offer unlimited as well (though no sure how fast), just hoping the one I'm on does. I want to be able to stream music and check facebook and call home via wifi calling.

HAL has only experimented with unlimited on one or two ships, Zuiderdam was one, but I'm not sure if unlimited is available on any ship now. Reports vary.

As far as streaming music, you might want to load what music you wish to listen to on your device. The internet on HAL ships is far from high speed, and you are sharing it with many other people. People have said that voice only wifi calling has worked, but video calling has been a problem for the same reason as music streaming.

HAL has only experimented with unlimited on one or two ships, Zuiderdam was one, but I'm not sure if unlimited is available on any ship now. Reports vary.

As far as streaming music, you might want to load what music you wish to listen to on your device. The internet on HAL ships is far from high speed, and you are sharing it with many other people. People have said that voice only wifi calling has worked, but video calling has been a problem for the same reason as music streaming.

They'll have to modernize eventually if they want to compete. I was on Royal caribbean's anthem of the seas in October with unlimited VOOM internet - just stream movies, music, do wifi calling etc. And there's 4500 people on that giant ship so i'm sure i was sharing with a whole lot of folks. I guess I'll have to preload a bunch of music etc. and load up my kindle since seems internet will be limited. Shame.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the information on internet TuraLura. May I ask when you went on Eurodam? I'm hoping they upgraded since then... We were on Niew Amsterdam back in 2014 and they had unlimited so I just assumed Euro had it. We are the same. We definitley need the internet for work while we are not in ports. We may have to cancel the trip...if the internet is not available in the cabin by the time we go which is on 5/20/17. Thanks again for any comments in advance!

Thank you for the information on internet TuraLura. May I ask when you went on Eurodam? I'm hoping they upgraded since then... We were on Niew Amsterdam back in 2014 and they had unlimited so I just assumed Euro had it. We are the same. We definitley need the internet for work while we are not in ports. We may have to cancel the trip...if the internet is not available in the cabin by the time we go which is on 5/20/17. Thanks again for any comments in advance!

I haven't been on Eurodam. I was trying to find out about internet on HAL ships. I went to the site and used live chat and was told only by minute now. But you should call and see if you get a different response.

I'll be on Eurodam next Saturday so I can post here and let you know how it is and what the situation is.

It's actually ridiculous that in 2017 HAL hasn't done better with their wifi situation. If other lines can do it they can too.

It's not a luxury to have internet in the 21st Century it's about time they realize that.

I'm actually happy (in a way) that their internet is so expensive and not very good because it means my DH won't be able to work while we're on vacation. lol

I know that sounds selfish but he needs a week off and they will survive without him I'm sure.

That's great Styles27! We can't wait to read your post about the internet. I am sorry your DH may end up working but I hope they have the unlimited package by now as the one we had on Niew Ams. Thanks so much and have a wonderful trip!

That's great Styles27! We can't wait to read your post about the internet. I am sorry your DH may end up working but I hope they have the unlimited package by now as the one we had on Niew Ams. Thanks so much and have a wonderful trip!

Thank you so much!

Got off the Eurodam last week. And sorry, no unlimited package. Best was $250 for 1000 minutes, and it was pretty slow. I bought the 1000 minute package to stay connected for work, and quickly learned it had some quirks and hung up on occasion. But the 250 minutes covered our 16 day cruise acceptably, and frankly, it helped me disconnect from work a little more than I otherwise would have, so I'm not complaining. :cool:

oh...no... we now have to make the decision. At least your comments will help us tremendouly as we make our decision. Thanks so much.

BTW, you said the connectivity was quite slow. Would you mind sharing the location of the cabin? The reason I'm asking is that we are at the aft side of the ship on the 7th. I wonder we would get any since we are pretty far from the center of the ship. ;( Thanks so much!

We were aft on 8th. The front desk suggested to go to an area like the explorer lounge and to try to use it during off hours like early am, late pm. The same satellite connection is used for passengers, crew, office, etc, so bandwidth gets limited. Those suggestions were helpful.

One tip is to MAKE SURE you log off, or the meter keeps ticking. A couple of times the wifi hung up while I was logged in to the satellite connection. I had to go to the front desk to disconnect. They did refund the lost minutes. They could see that no data was being transmitted so they knew it was hung up.

It was fine for mail, but not practical for enterprise applications or other company-specific connections. It was just too slow.

Good luck!

I wonder we would get any since we are pretty far from the center of the ship. ;
The access points are along the hallways on all cabin decks, spaced about 10 to 12 cabins apart. Some are in cabins. The closer you are to one the better your signal will be. If you are 5 or 6 cabins away, prop your hall door open an inch or two to get a better signal. Look for one of these:

2ilk1ht.jpg

Edited by jtl513

They'll have to modernize eventually if they want to compete. I was on Royal caribbean's anthem of the seas in October with unlimited VOOM internet - just stream movies, music, do wifi calling etc. And there's 4500 people on that giant ship so i'm sure i was sharing with a whole lot of folks. I guess I'll have to preload a bunch of music etc. and load up my kindle since seems internet will be limited. Shame.

Do you remember how much this internet was? I'm just curious. I would love to see Hal get with the times on the Internet.