$7.95 Room Service Charge

Probably already mentioned somewhere in the 20+ pages but as you can see from the attached they've yet to even update their own web site.

From all the posts I've read I think it can all be boiled down to this: *Most* people seem to reluctantly accept the fact that the policy is changing but at the same time think the rollout was botched and more advanced notice should have been given since the very short timing here affects virtually everyone that has already booked a cruise with the exception of anyone lucky enough to be sailing over the next few days.

I think that that the botched rollout stings a bit more since many long time cruisers are already sensitive to the dramatic shift from all-inclusive to pay-as-you-go. So while this is "just" another $7.95 per usage fee, it is sort of symbolic of the overall shift since complementary room service was basically a staple of cruising along with buffet and MDR. The MDR has been transforming for several years now- in years past I've been told the house OJ isn't worth drinking, I should buy fresh squeezed, and my steak wouldn't be worth eating so I should buy a premium one. Very low class in my opinion for a fine dining establishment to completely trash talk things on their own menu in an effort to get you to spend more money.

roomservice.jpg.6aa9291ad105b60427591ea9260b2d87.jpg

Originally posted by makiramarlena -Somewhere, in the cruise contract that passengers agreed to upon booking, is some sort of disclaimer mentioning that the cruise line can change things like the price of room service at any time. It probably even says "without notice," although they have given some notice. The passenger is charged with knowing what the contract says.

Legally, RCL is under no obligation to continue to offer free room service because it was in the brochure at the time of booking.

It can be argued that it's bad customer service and, in the name of customer service, they should make an exception for every passenger who has already paid in full (they won't), but really the only recourse for the passenger is to either pay the fee, skip room service, or book another cruise line. There are a number of lines that still include room service in the cruise fare (and there are some that may even include the tips)

Now, as far as Post 457 and the right ofRCCL to change the policy. . . justify the fact that this is still posted as the Experience/Dining link on their main page.

Room service

Morning, noon, night, whenever you like – order up room service 24/7. Enjoy breakfast in bed, cheesecake on your balcony, or a delicious dinner right in the comfort of your stateroom. Complimentary except between midnight and 5 a.m., when a $3.95 service charge applies.

They are still marketing a service that may motivate people to book full-well knowing that it will not be delivered. How this is acceptable? Explain to me how the roll-out of this program was done with sufficient preparation. They are falsely advertising.

And, no, they have not given booked passengers some notice. I imagine an overwhelming percentage of those booked have no idea this is occurring.

Probably already mentioned somewhere in the 20+ pages but as you can see from the attached they've yet to even update their own web site.

From all the posts I've read I think it can all be boiled down to this: *Most* people seem to reluctantly accept the fact that the policy is changing but at the same time think the rollout was botched and more advanced notice should have been given since the very short timing here affects virtually everyone that has already booked a cruise with the exception of anyone lucky enough to be sailing over the next few days.

I think that that the botched rollout stings a bit more since many long time cruisers are already sensitive to the dramatic shift from all-inclusive to pay-as-you-go. So while this is "just" another $7.95 per usage fee, it is sort of symbolic of the overall shift since complementary room service was basically a staple of cruising along with buffet and MDR. The MDR has been transforming for several years now- in years past I've been told the house OJ isn't worth drinking, I should buy fresh squeezed, and my steak wouldn't be worth eating so I should buy a premium one. Very low class in my opinion for a fine dining establishment to completely trash talk things on their own menu in an effort to get you to spend more money.

Plus it's that attitude they have that says "we are doing this solely to improve things by charging $8 for something that has always been included, but you are too stupid to understand that". If they for once came out and said "this service is too expensive for us, not sustainable and we have to stop losing money on it" I think people would have accepted it better. I do hate it when companies obviously want to make more money,but treat you, the paying customer, with contempt. If they really want to charge us so they can provide a better menu, can I just order from the old one free? hmm

I've just had a very interesting call back from Royal Caribbean after I posted a complaint on Facebook. Betsy assures me that I will still be able to order my normal room service food from the old menu free of charge. I pressed her to confirm that there would be no delivery charge and she said yes. Apparently it's only items ordered off the new room service menu that has a delivery charge of $7.95.

I asked her several times if that meant there was 2 menus to order from and she eventually said that there was one but the chargeable items were highlighted.

Doesn't sound right at all and I think she's getting confused with the continental/American breakfast option.

Originally posted by makiramarlena -Somewhere, in the cruise contract that passengers agreed to upon booking, is some sort of disclaimer mentioning that the cruise line can change things like the price of room service at any time. It probably even says "without notice," although they have given some notice. The passenger is charged with knowing what the contract says.

Legally, RCL is under no obligation to continue to offer free room service because it was in the brochure at the time of booking.

It can be argued that it's bad customer service and, in the name of customer service, they should make an exception for every passenger who has already paid in full (they won't), but really the only recourse for the passenger is to either pay the fee, skip room service, or book another cruise line. There are a number of lines that still include room service in the cruise fare (and there are some that may even include the tips)

Now, as far as Post 457 and the right ofRCCL to change the policy. . . justify the fact that this is still posted as the Experience/Dining link on their main page.

Room service

Morning, noon, night, whenever you like – order up room service 24/7. Enjoy breakfast in bed, cheesecake on your balcony, or a delicious dinner right in the comfort of your stateroom. Complimentary except between midnight and 5 a.m., when a $3.95 service charge applies.

They are still marketing a service that may motivate people to book full-well knowing that it will not be delivered. How this is acceptable? Explain to me how the roll-out of this program was done with sufficient preparation. They are falsely advertising.

And, no, they have not given booked passengers some notice. I imagine an overwhelming percentage of those booked have no idea this is occurring.

I think you might find that in a lot of the world, the UK comes to mind, what you advertise is what you are legally bound to provide. If you don't update your website too bad,your customer is entitled to what they see at the time of booking.

Excellent post.

I agree and think the worst thing is the way this change is being implemented on such short notice. If it wasn't for CC, nobody might have noticed. It reminds me of the way they tried to sneak in doing away with the C&A balcony discount last September for cruises booked within 6 months. When news of that was leaked on CC, boy did Royal get a backlash that convinced them to rescind that idea!

~ Judy

Somewhere, in the cruise contract that passengers agreed to upon booking, is some sort of disclaimer mentioning that the cruise line can change things like the price of room service at any time. It probably even says "without notice," although they have given some notice. The passenger is charged with knowing what the contract says.

While a claim against the cruise line would be difficult, there is another path for recovery available depending on where you live, and how you booked. For example, a booking, made with a travel agent that was formed and based in Massachusetts, would be subject to the Commonwealth's consumer protection statute (93a). Given the right circumstances that would often exist (the agency listing room service included, or even cross posting to RC's site) would possibly be a violation for the agency under the statute. The recovery would not be great (just the amount that you were charged for RS on board), but these claims are easy for consumers to file without legal help. No need to go after RC, when there is a local travel agent using the deceptive marketing provided by RC!

Plus it's that attitude they have that says "we are doing this solely to improve things by charging $8 for something that has always been included, but you are too stupid to understand that".
Let's be fair: You're imposing that interpretation on their message. It isn't coming from them.

If they for once came out and said "this service is too expensive for us, not sustainable and we have to stop losing money on it" I think people would have accepted it better.
If a company, any company, gets to the point where they have to raise prices because operations are too costly, then they're already so far into the storm that everyone should jump ship. No successful service provider of discretionary services prices based on cost. They price based on value.

I do hate it when companies obviously want to make more money,but treat you, the paying customer, with contempt.
It sounds like you want them to say, "We have detected an increase in discretionary income among our target demographic and so we're going to introduce a change to harvest that additional revenue-generating opportunity." Don't you think that critics will be even more rapacious in their exploitation of that comment as they are with regard to the marketing-crafted statements that the company releases instead?

Glad I read this thread. We are going on a 9 night cruise leaving on March 31st with my whole family (DH, parents, sister/bil, brothers and there girlfriends) Parents and brothers with there travel mates are 1st time cruises. Two weekends ago most of got together to talk about the trip and room service got brought up. DH and I never used room service on our last cruise and dint plan on it for this cruise. My brothers and my Parents on the other had are really looking forward to the free room service for breakfast and we told them it's included. So rcl will already have some disappointed 1st time customers. I am OK with them adding the fee as they are a business. How RCL did it however was wrong only giving a 2 week notice vs 90 day notice affecting those all ready paid in full that could not cancel. Also going for the 7.95 vs 3.95 is a little stupid on there part, need to balance bottom line and customer experience at the same time poor pricing strategy.

You know we're getting ready to embark next month on an 18-day transpacific out of Sydney and this just adds to the epic levels we've heard about nickel-and-diming pax for standard stuff on what is actually a fairly expensive cruise booked 2 yrs ago with no discounts available. We've done 30+ cruises (first was actually an RCI Bahamas hop) and we chose this for the itinerary, but my expectations are already in the toilet - as apparently the corridor bouquet is. We've always been small ship cruisers (Radisson, Windstar, Seabourn, Seadream, Oceania, Crystal) and I fully expect that's where we'll be returning even though Radiance is a small ship by RCI standards. I'll try to keep an open mind but no robes, no bathroom amenities, charge for the smallest thing from room service, ridiculous beverage, excursion, and upsell dining options - no thank you. You can pay $100 more a day on an upscale line and enjoy the cruise more and not get taken to the woodshed.

I guess the good news is room service orders will fall off so they take less than 45 mins-2 hrs to fill. Bad news is this policy will add even more pressure to an already overcrowded Windjammer Cafe since breakfast in MDR is apparently a sketchy 60-90 minute affair. Working the open mind angle...

And then there will be the inevitable 18-20% on top of the $7.95 for room service English muffin and coffee...

We did the 29 day Vancouver to Hawaii to Sydney last fall. There were robes in our cabin and never wore them (no charge). There was soap & shampoo in the bathroom (no charge). We ate in the MDR every night (no charge) and the Windjammer for breakfast & lunch (no charge).

You can have an excellent cruise without being nickle & dimed for anything.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

$7.95 + $3.95 + $4.95 + $4.95 + $$$ = :eek:

While the "FINAL" menus Royal attached in their post 418 are a definite improvement over the degraded current menus, I seriously doubt the FINAL menus will remain "final" for long.

The new ships already had an ala carte pricing on many of the room service items that were PER ITEM, resulting in multiple per plate charges that could easily exceed $7.95 for an order. It's just a matter of how long after the new room service menus are rolled out to each ship before Royal tweaks the FINAL menus and adds a per item charge.

Royal: "In response to our customers, to improve your dining experience, we are excited to announce that we are reducing the $7.95 service charge to only $4.95* per delivery. (*While continental breakfast is exempt from this charge, all other items are subject to an additional per item/per plate charge ranging from $3.95 to $4.95.)"

Grab the all you can eat chicken wings (or 23 Royal burgers molly361 ;)) off the new menu while you can!

~ Judy

Maybe someone out there who's smarter than I am can explain it, but why not just raise fares by a few bucks? Given that the fares are dynamic, with various sales and freebies thrown in at various times, would people really notice or care if, unbeknownst to them, RCI had increased the fare $15 per person for a 7 day sailing (or, better yet, raised the fares progressively, so that suites paid more of the additional fare). That way the increased $ is "baked in" and not avoidable (like raising grats or charging for RS) and you simultaneously avoid these annoying claw-backs.

When we booked our last cruise with NCL, they offered the free drink package. Then they honored a $200 per person price drop. Then they implemented the RS fee.

As usual, Royal has goofed on the implementation. SOP for them. Honestly, we're not affected. We maybe have room service once for breakfast and since we are in GS, we're good anyway. I do think room service has been a pretty abused perk for a long time. The sheer waste of food probably rivals the defunct midnight buffet. Had we ever wanted it, waiting for 2 hours was unappealing. This may improve room service for those that really want it.

I do think they should have implemented this in the summer or fall so it was done well before final payments. I also hope that the folks who have posted here about "yelling" at GS, ordering truckloads of food just to make a point and cutting off all gratuities are just letting off steam. Taking it out on innocent employees who have nothing to do with this is immature and nasty.

We are leaving in three weeks, taking our kids on their first cruise. I don't care for room service, but they were really looking forward to that little treat. My biggest concern is in the past, countless times I have wandered aimlessly searching for ONE table for two. Searching for a table for 5 is going to be a nightmare. Its bad enough as it is now, with people swarming you like vulchers waiting to claim your table before you even are out of the chair! Has anyone gotten anywhere with RC customer service? Is it even worth addressing for those of use well past the final payment date?

Maybe someone out there who's smarter than I am can explain it, but why not just raise fares by a few bucks?
Far too many American consumers are excessively fixated on getting the lowest base price, without appropriate regard for the negative ramifications of such a fixation.

That's why you see airlines charging now for each checked bag. It's why some hotels assess an extra "hotel fee' which is not included in the daily rate that the consumer initially used to choose the hotel. I just booked a rental car and it is amazing how many different fees and surcharges apply, making what looked like a pretty affordable rate into a lot more money than I expected.

Just had Royal Caribbean phone me back saying initial info they provided me was wrong and there is not 2 different menus. Only the revised menu with tge $7.95 delivery charge. No obc offered (unsurprised at that). I pointed out that they really need to update their website tonreflectbthe new charge.

To be fair I probably wouldn't have used room service much but its the principle and I'm annoyed at the way the policy has been implemented.

Far too many American consumers are excessively fixated on getting the lowest base price, without appropriate regard for the negative ramifications of such a fixation.

That's why you see airlines charging now for each checked bag. It's why some hotels assess an extra "hotel fee' which is not included in the daily rate that the consumer initially used to choose the hotel. I just booked a rental car and it is amazing how many different fees and surcharges apply, making what looked like a pretty affordable rate into a lot more money than I expected.

Right. I've often beefed at ticketmaster and how they tack on $20 worth of fees to a $15 concert ticket rather than just saying it costs $35. maybe I'm in the minority, but if you're going to charge me anyway, just make it upfront and not like you're trying to scam me.

The sheer waste of food probably rivals the defunct midnight buffet. Had we ever wanted it, waiting for 2 hours was unappealing.

There are, in my mind, two completely different use cases for room service.

(1) I want a sandwich or something like that some time during the day or night

(2) I want to put out my breakfast order door hanger and have my breakfast arrive predictably within a half hour window

I've traveled with people that care about #1, and it is all good. Not really something I do though. #2 on the other hand- it is very nice for me personally to have breakfast arrive and to be able to enjoy it without having to get the whole family presentable enough to hit the buffet.

Luckily my kids often eat cereal, muffins, etc. so it sounds like if we go that route it will still be complementary although who knows how messed up this will all get when it is rolled out. But I'm certainly not going to pay 8 bucks just because I want bacon that morning with my muffin, I'll just run up and get a plate of bacon while the wife gets the kids started on their cereal or whatever.

Along with many, many other people I emailed Mr. Bayley yesterday about this "surprise". My main point was that it was so sudden, with very little lead time, especially for those of us with paid in full cruises. I told him that we are not fortunate enough to afford booking suites, and I did say that perhaps they could consider some sort of C&A perk for this charge.

So this morning at 7 am (!!!) I get a call from Kevin something and he launches into his explanation about how this is a done deal, it is not going away, yes it is unfair to guests paid in full and they are considering some modifications to the policy. Not pushing the date further out, not changing the amount, but perhaps offering some sort of discount to loyal cruisers. I'm sure they are drowning in angry calls and emails (serves them right for springing this on us) and he definitely had his patter down, barely taking a breath so I couldn't get a word in. I guess I should appreciate that they did acknowledge my email and they are aware that this was a bit abrupt.

I hate to say it but I will probably gather a few snacks for the room and keep them if I want something. I too am surprised they didn't just go with the $3.95 charge they already have for late night. I think that might have been easier to accept. Everyone might have been miffed but it would have made more sense.

Let's be fair: You're imposing that interpretation on their message. It isn't coming from them.

If a company, any company, gets to the point where they have to raise prices because operations are too costly, then they're already so far into the storm that everyone should jump ship. No successful service provider of discretionary services prices based on cost. They price based on value.

It sounds like you want them to say, "We have detected an increase in discretionary income among our target demographic and so we're going to introduce a change to harvest that additional revenue-generating opportunity." Don't you think that critics will be even more rapacious in their exploitation of that comment as they are with regard to the marketing-crafted statements that the company releases instead?

Isn't it great that we can rely on you to always point out YOU are the only one who really knows what's going on here. In your opinion. Must be tedious to always have to feel so superior and condescending . We obviously can't read an announcement from RCCL without referring it to you for a simpler explanation.I feel sure this is not the first time you have been told this. However, I will still venture an opinion of my own as to the motivation of RCCL without your help thankyou..

Along with many, many other people I emailed Mr. Bayley yesterday about this "surprise". My main point was that it was so sudden, with very little lead time, especially for those of us with paid in full cruises. I told him that we are not fortunate enough to afford booking suites, and I did say that perhaps they could consider some sort of C&A perk for this charge.

So this morning at 7 am (!!!) I get a call from Kevin something and he launches into his explanation about how this is a done deal, it is not going away, yes it is unfair to guests paid in full and they are considering some modifications to the policy. Not pushing the date further out, not changing the amount, but perhaps offering some sort of discount to loyal cruisers. I'm sure they are drowning in angry calls and emails (serves them right for springing this on us) and he definitely had his patter down, barely taking a breath so I couldn't get a word in. I guess I should appreciate that they did acknowledge my email and they are aware that this was a bit abrupt.

They were just as adamant about Dynamic dining ( that was also supposed to have been initiated in response to phantom customer demand) and Diamond level perks and we all know what happened to those plans once they were overwhelmingly rejected by cruisers. Time will tell, eh? One only has to walk the hallways to see just how many people use Room service by the trays left outside for hours..

This is very disappointing and, coupled with some of the other annoyances, might just be enough to push us over the edge! We always get a balcony so we can enjoy some meals (mostly breakfast) out there. It is one of the things we enjoy most. This would definitely push us to look at other vacation options more than we have the last few years.

Me too! We enjoy breakfast on the balcony. Now I guess we will find other options. I:confused:

Isn't it great that we can rely on you to always point out YOU are the only one who really knows what's going on here.
I'm expressing a valid perspective respectfully. Please show me the same consideration, even if you don't like the content of what I'm posting. There's no need to get personal.

They were just as adamant about Dynamic dining
Which makes all the shock and surprise by those who have been frequent guests for a while all the more mystifying.