$7.95 Room Service Charge

Seeing the updated menu, I actually don't mind the change and see myself using it once or twice on my next cruise. Of course, I'd probably invite my siblings over for dinner as well and give an extra tip! Cheaper than a speciality restaurant [emoji6]
One thing I've noticed about the new All Day menu is that it is pretty vegetarian unfriendly. There is one sandwich and three entrees, and the four of them are perhaps the four most unhealthy vegetarian options imaginable. Actually, all of them are pretty much the same thing in different cuisines: Some grain product with some cheese on it. The elimination of the vegetable wrap is unfortunate. By the same token, I recall reading last week an article that said by and large Americans have given up trying to eat healthy, so perhaps this change reflects that change in diner preferences.

Could someone please point me to the notation that indicates that the $7.95 includes gratuity. Thanks.

I am truly interested in the wings for late night after hanging out. Depending on how many you get in an order and how hot they are, a couple of orders of wings for $7.95 and a Corona Extra would work for me for! :cool:

Perhaps if RCI rolled this out by saying "Beginning on such and such date, there will now be a room service fee of $7.95 for all orders..." they may not have angered/disappointed as many people. I being one of these people sailing in April with a growing teenage boy who would eat a cheesburger and a pizza every night of a cruise, am not happy.

I think that RCI, like NCL and others, figured that the small, if vocal, number of people who feel strongly about the change wont impact their bottom line.

That said, im curious as to the costs (labor/food, etc) of the current policy and the projected impact on the future finances of the change (presumably revenue and a reduction in costs in labor, food is ? given the expanded menu). If the change isn't drastic, it would seem to me that RCI could have done something like this:

"You asked, and we listened. Starting with our March 27, 2017 sailings, we are excited to roll out our new, expanded room service menu. Don't worry, for sailings through the Spring of 2018, the items you've come to love are still there, and are still available free of charge. In addition, we will be offering XYZ for a charge of $7.95. Starting with our Summer 2018 itineraries, passengers will still be able to order continental breakfast free of charge, and will be able to order from our expanded all-day menu for a charge of $7.95 per order."

One thing I've noticed about the new All Day menu is that it is pretty vegetarian unfriendly. There is one sandwich and three entrees, and the four of them are perhaps the four most unhealthy vegetarian options imaginable.

As a vegetarian myself, I don't mind the choices available at all. At least there are choices for us. I don't recall the vegetable wrap but then maybe that was an Oasis/Quantum class room service item and I've only been on Freedom or lower class where the room service menu for veggies has been cheese pizza or spinach dip - nothing else. The part about them being unhealthy, well yes they're not exactly the healthiest of options but then I don't go on a cruise to eat healthy. Besides, other than the salads there really isn't a lot of healthy food on the room service menu, period - even for the people who eat meat. So I don't see a problem. Would I prefer it if there were a few more veggie friendly options on there, sure! But then I'd also be happier if they had more than one veggie main dish that changed daily in the MDR for dinner.

Oh good gravy. Some people want to be notified of any and all changes. Not possible.

i never received any email from NCL for my cruise last year, telling me bottled water was no longer allowed to be brought on board. its universal that cruise lines dont tell you of changes that affect you :)

Junior Suites have never received "suite perks."

All you get with a JS is double points, a bathtub, a bigger cabin, and the suite check-in line at the pier. That's about it.

Better mattress, coffee maker, and upgrade toiletries.

Did you notice the use of the Oxford comma?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I wonder how long before we start seeing people posting that they were charged the $7.95 fee even though they ordered from the continental menu, you know like the bogus mini-fridge charges⁉

No feedback on that yet. However, up until now, even though Pinnacle has had a gold card (on most ships), they never got the full suite perk of room service from the MDR menu.

Understood, I always thought that was because most cabins don't have a place to eat a full meal. Heck, even the GS is lacking other than the deck

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Somewhere, in the cruise contract that passengers agreed to upon booking, is some sort of disclaimer mentioning that the cruise line can change things like the price of room service at any time. It probably even says "without notice," although they have given some notice. The passenger is charged with knowing what the contract says.

Legally, RCL is under no obligation to continue to offer free room service because it was in the brochure at the time of booking.

It can be argued that it's bad customer service and, in the name of customer service, they should make an exception for every passenger who has already paid in full (they won't), but really the only recourse for the passenger is to either pay the fee, skip room service, or book another cruise line. There are a number of lines that still include room service in the cruise fare (and there are some that may even include the tips)

There is a video on YouTube about that. I think it was on a Carnival ship

Like I said, it will be one of the unintended consequences of this change - a Youtube video of a gluttonous person's epic size order (you know, just to show em).

I saw it said that this takes affect on sailing after March 27 I'm on Independence March 30. Do you think this will be the new room service menu or will it be a slow roll out. I'm good either way.

The article posted here mentioned the roll out taking until May.

Dumb question:

Say there are 2 people ordering ...

They EACH order something (at the same time)

Is it $7.95 for the TOTAL order ... or 7.95 for each person's order?

(I'm assuming $7.95 for the entire order BUT you know what they say about that[emoji6]?)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dumb question:

Say there are 2 people ordering ...

They EACH order something (at the same time)

Is it $7.95 for the TOTAL order ... or 7.95 for each person's order?

(I'm assuming $7.95 for the entire order BUT you know what they say about that[emoji6]?)

If they order something at the same time then it's one order, so one charge.

I think that most will continue to give the delivery person a few bucks. I will on my upcoming 4.24 cruise. I have already decided to move on from Royal following this voyage. I have three additional cruises booked (ready to book two additional) none of those with RCCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This is why I choose to sail with carnival over royal. Not solely because I get free room service lol (that would sound like I'm snobby), but that carnival charges less and provides more. I don't see why royal would cut this freebie considering their cruise prices are quite a bit higher than their direct competition

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Somewhere, in the cruise contract that passengers agreed to upon booking, is some sort of disclaimer mentioning that the cruise line can change things like the price of room service at any time. It probably even says "without notice," although they have given some notice. The passenger is charged with knowing what the contract says.

Legally, RCL is under no obligation to continue to offer free room service because it was in the brochure at the time of booking.

It can be argued that it's bad customer service and, in the name of customer service, they should make an exception for every passenger who has already paid in full (they won't), but really the only recourse for the passenger is to either pay the fee, skip room service, or book another cruise line. There are a number of lines that still include room service in the cruise fare (and there are some that may even include the tips)

Post 457