airboat decision in Orlando

Semi Retired

We have pre-cruise days in Orlando and I have done extensive research on airboat tours. Have narrowed it down to Midway ( 30 min. north of port) that goes through the cypress trees and on St John river, that has a set routine. Or Airboat Rides Melbourne (40 min west of port) that does the lower river and the marsh bogs, which he will custom to our likes and even take us to the Cabbage restaurant. The two are in different conservation area's.

Question: which area is better (scenery, wildlife, alligators) for this? Any experiences on either operator? I made sure they can fit all 7 adults on one boat (not a 6-seater that defies the rules)

Edited by Semi Retired

We much prefer the wider, delta-like St. Johns stretching from Lone Cabbage to the north of Midway. This allows for lots of high-speed twists and sliding/drifting turns through and over the narrow channels. The area is flat and open allowing you to see far into the distance which is very scenic.

Straight-line airboating on large lakes to the south get boring! And you see mostly alligator eyes in deep water - not much to photograph.

The wider river has a lot of alligators. We always see 20 or more of all sizes even on a 30-minute ride. Birds too, occasional wild hogs and yes, plenty of cattle!

We never had a "bad" captain. These folks are experienced, love their boats, they're funny and opinionated! And a 20-person boat versus a 6-person boat does not bother us either. It is bleacher-style seating and your best views are always to the front anyway. Middle seats do not matter at all.

Lone Cabbage or Midway?

• The airboat experience is the same. Alligators are the main attraction and both places use experienced local watermen as guides. You will see birds and lots of alligators – large and small!
  • Lone Cabbage has popular fish camp-style restaurant/bar serving mostly fried food with good reviews.
  • Midway has a small shop, fish tanks and exotic birds as well as live baby alligators on display. Their pot-bellied pig is very comfortable sleeping anywhere he wants!
  • Midway is slightly further (about 40 minutes) at 30 miles from the Port with Midway near a large animal sanctuary – Jungle Adventures with many rare animals and huge alligators.

In our opinion younger kids will like Midway more because of their animals and especially when the excursion includes the Jungle Adventure – with rare Florida panthers, black bears, gray wolves, white-tailed deer, tropical birds, reptiles and mammals. Take a jungle swamp cruise, be surrounded by alligators, and witness some gator feeding. See how Spanish conquistadors lived in the 16th Century at the replica Spanish fort and go on a live guided exploration of their Native American Indian Village replica.

Midway-Airboat.jpg

Thank you for your info. I have looked into this extensively and for us 7 ADULTS, we would like to do a flat river with grass AND a tree swamp area. (Not into being whipped around). I know both have this, but just want to understand which would be more natural in scenery and wildlife. Which area has the more beautiful treed route. I have contacted Midway and they said we could get our own private boat that will accommodate us. We initially wanted to do Lone Cabbages Twister, but I've called twice to book a private tour and they tell me to call back in a month, then in 2 weeks. I don't want ot be left hanging with no private reservation for 7 ppl., as I know a boat is more for 6, and it is hard to find one for 7 without paying for 2 boats. (one place offered 2 boats with 4 seats, but I would have to pay for the empty 8th seat). I did find a comment about someone having their boat cancelled due to "over booking" at the cabbage place. I assume its because they do cater to the cruise excursions.

For the best overall views - meaning a combination of Cypress Swamp, open grasslands and many gators - my recommendation is still Midway. We took took a smaller boat to go deeper into the Cypress Swamp where I think the big ones cannot go.