Just doing our own thing in Progreso

Medinatn

We are going in two weeks and I have heard different things about Progreso. We have book an excursion in Cozumel (Mr Sanchos thru Shore Excursioneer) and we are thinking we would just like to do our own thing in Progreso, like go to a close beach, hang out, have some drinks and local food. Anyone ever done this or anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

I'd suggest taking the double decker bus tour when you arrive in town at the bus station. Last time we did we had to walk a couple of blocks to find it but you can ask anyone where it it. It lasts about 25 minutes and will help acclimate you to the town. The beach is about 4-5 blocks back from the bus station and it is free but the vendors are pretty relentless there. WE walked down the beach about a quarter of a mile and find some solitude although no chairs. There are several restaurants and if you take the bus tour they usually point them out to you. Progreso is easy to do on your own.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd suggest taking the double decker bus tour when you arrive in town at the bus station. Last time we did we had to walk a couple of blocks to find it but you can ask anyone where it it. It lasts about 25 minutes and will help acclimate you to the town. The beach is about 4-5 blocks back from the bus station and it is free but the vendors are pretty relentless there. WE walked down the beach about a quarter of a mile and find some solitude although no chairs. There are several restaurants and if you take the bus tour they usually point them out to you. Progreso is easy to do on your own.

How much is the bus tour?

• 1 year later...
We are going in two weeks and I have heard different things about Progreso. We have book an excursion in Cozumel (Mr Sanchos thru Shore Excursioneer) and we are thinking we would just like to do our own thing in Progreso, like go to a close beach, hang out, have some drinks and local food. Anyone ever done this or anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

This is also what I would like to do. Any tips or info?

• 7 months later...

My opinion about Progreso based upon all the stuff I have read (never been there), and what my family plans to do:

Progreso does not have highly rated beaches.  Most of the reviews were negative.  The all-inclusive beach excursions and double decker ride to Merida also have mixed reviews.   The only reviews that I found consistently positive were excursions to underground cenotes and the Uxmal, Mayapan, or Chichen Itza ruins.  The number one drawback to these excursions is the long ride.  Of all the ruins, I read the most positive things about Uxmal.  We are planning to buy a tour onshore to avoid the upcharge from the cruiseline (or even shore excursioner).  I hear it is much cheaper when you buy it in Progreso.  If any veteran cruisers have other advice, it is welcome.    

• 3 years later...

Followup to this old post. We went to Uxmal. I didn't want to overpay for this excursion, so I paid Autoprogreso in cash when we got off the ship. I chose Autoprogreso because I had read someone's review saying that after their Uxmal tour, their tourguide can conveniently bring you to a restaurant where you can pay out-of-pocket for lunch. So that is what happened. The tour had about 8 people, and we took about an hour or so ride in an air-conditioned shuttle (if I can recall-maybe it was longer). The tour guide was very passionate about Mayan history and made the ride go by fast.  Uxmal was OK, but I don't have any other experience with Mayan ruins to compare it to. The only drawback was the heat (we went in mid-April). The restaurant at the end was a nice finishing touch. The food and service was excellent. Honestly, I am willing to bet I paid far less for all I got for this excursion than I would have any other way.