Delta strikes again!

JoRoy218

I'm so glad I read this post....it prompted me to check our Delta flights that I just bought LAST WEEKEND!!! They had been changed....cancelled the 1st leg of our flight and changed it so that we arrived in Seattle at 10:30 am...and left Seattle at 7:30 am...THREE HOURS BEFORE WE GOT THERE! :rolleyes: I checked to see if there was an email notifying me that I had to be in Seattle before I got to Seattle....Nope!!

I called them.... (I asked them how exactly to make that work...the whole 'leave before you arrive' thing.... They couldn't really answer that. hahaha Then they gave me several options that had us going clear to the east cost to get to Oklahoma....(which is just ridiculous) with a 35 min. layover in Atlanta...or going to Detroit with a 30 min. layover....I've done the whole 'running through the airport in Atlanta' before...and don't want to do that again... There just were no good options offered.

So....They let us cancel the tickets with full refund. Of course, I'll check my credit card in about 24 hrs to confirm that, but she said it would be refunded on the form of payment we used to purchase it.... Now, I'm back to the drawing board with finding a flight home...and I thought I had all those details ironed out. Ugh! But at least I don't have to be somewhere 3 hrs before I get there. :rolleyes:

I DID suggest to them that they consider the idea of informing passengers when they cancel their flights from now on. :/

Delta got us to! Went to their site this morning to check on our flights for 8/30 & 9/12 and both had changes to them. The one on 8/30 is only a 10 minute time change, our layover is less time but we had an 1-1/2 hour one so that was fine. Our flight leaving Vancouver to Minneapolis is now almost an hour later leaving us with less than a half hour to change planes, don't think that will work! So now instead of leaving at 1 PM the only other options are the same 6 & 6:45 AM flights. So much for enjoying the morning before we travel. I haven't flown Delta in years and I'm already disappointed. I booked the flights only a month ago. :mad:

I guess this will be the topic of discussion this weekend with my husband. Hopefully they don't change anything again.

While it's certainly not enough to help today's other poster, your original flight may actually still be feasible Gmazz - remember that you'll do US preclearance here in Vancouver before boarding, so there's no need to factor in a Customs/Immigration delay.

The really good news though is that if the time change is enough to let them give you a free flight change, there's a non-stop YVR-MSP at 2pm on Sep 12th. Nothing better than trading a too-short layover for no layover at all!

While it's certainly not enough to help today's other poster, your original flight may actually still be feasible Gmazz - remember that you'll do US preclearance here in Vancouver before boarding, so there's no need to factor in a Customs/Immigration delay.

The really good news though is that if the time change is enough to let them give you a free flight change, there's a non-stop YVR-MSP at 2pm on Sep 12th. Nothing better than trading a too-short layover for no layover at all!

The 2PM flight on the 12th from YVR-MSP is what they changed us to, but we have a connecting flight to Harford, CT that leaves at 7:50PM giving us less than a 1/2 hour from when we land until takeoff and this is the latest flight out to CT from MSP of any airline!

Had to much going on this weekend to call Delta to talk to them about it.

Delta did this to me a couple months ago. Luckily, I am OCD enough to check all my docs and I happened to notice my layover flight was changed to leave an hour before I even arrived at that airport...UNBELIEVABLE! I called Delta and they were like "Oh, I am sure we emailed you and tried to contact you". NOPE. They certainly did NOT.

Luckily in the end it all worked out and I was able to take another connection out to Seattle but now I am mentally scarred and check all my travel docs like twice a day..LOL!

If schedules change and you aren't notified, I would double-check and triple-check the contact information the airline has for you. It could matter especially closer to your flight.

The 2PM flight on the 12th from YVR-MSP is what they changed us to, but we have a connecting flight to Harford, CT that leaves at 7:50PM giving us less than a 1/2 hour from when we land until takeoff and this is the latest flight out to CT from MSP of any airline!

Had to much going on this weekend to call Delta to talk to them about it.

My bad - you have CT in your profile so I should have cottoned on to the fact you meant a connecting flight at MSP rather than it being your destination.

If they'll let you cancel completely you could go for the 10:15am Air Canada flight to Toronto which has a plenty-long-enough layover of over 3 hours to get through US preclearance and be on the Hartford evening flight (there's a Montreal flight too but it has an even worse layover - 58mins but with US preclearance to do, so I'd stick to the 30min at MSP instead!)

Delta got us to! Went to their site this morning to check on our flights for 8/30 & 9/12 and both had changes to them. The one on 8/30 is only a 10 minute time change, our layover is less time but we had an 1-1/2 hour one so that was fine. Our flight leaving Vancouver to Minneapolis is now almost an hour later leaving us with less than a half hour to change planes, don't think that will work! So now instead of leaving at 1 PM the only other options are the same 6 & 6:45 AM flights. So much for enjoying the morning before we travel. I haven't flown Delta in years and I'm already disappointed. I booked the flights only a month ago. :mad:

I guess this will be the topic of discussion this weekend with my husband. Hopefully they don't change anything again.

If the airline says you have enough time to make the connection then don't worry about it.

I think all the airlines are equal opportunity destroyers as far as reservations go.

Last year we had a difficult time finding decent connections out of Vancouver on any airline that would get us home before midnight, so we decided to take another day and break up the travel, and I found a very good rate on American that would get us to Phoenix where we would overnight and then return home midafternoon the next day.

Two months before our trip, American changed our Vancouver departure from 1:00 PM to 8:00 AM. Our ship was due to arrive at 7:00 AM, so that was out. There was just no way we could use any other American flights to get us home without flying all over the country, so we were forced to cancel and the best option was with United through Denver. The good news was that American gave us a full ticket refund since they couldn't get us where we needed to go. The bad news was that the United flights were $300+ more.

The last few years we have run into airline flight changes on just about every trip we've taken. Mostly it's been minor changes that allowed us to continue with our originally booked flights, but several times we have had to make major changes to our plans. Just another travel stress that seems to be on the increase.