Bear Season in May?

Hsmama

curious.... we plan to try some hiking in Juneau,Ketchikan and Sitka- first week of May, I think they'll be out of hibernation, but it's too early for salmon run etc,right? What are the odds of seeing bears on a hike in that week? I prefer not to randomly bump into bears..... it would be cool to watch them from a distance,like catching salmon etc but I think we're the wrong season for that..... should we be concerned while hiking?

curious.... we plan to try some hiking in Juneau,Ketchikan and Sitka- first week of May, I think they'll be out of hibernation, but it's too early for salmon run etc,right? What are the odds of seeing bears on a hike in that week? I prefer not to randomly bump into bears..... it would be cool to watch them from a distance,like catching salmon etc but I think we're the wrong season for that..... should we be concerned while hiking?

I'm no bear expert, and I don't live in Alaska, but I'd say the odds are extremely low that you'll encounter a bear while hiking in any of those ports in early May. Yes, you're too early for the salmon run.

Here are some links about hiking in the ports you'll be visiting, which may be helpful:

http://www.alaska.org/destination/sitka/trails

http://www.alaska.org/destination/juneau/trails

http://www.alaska.org/destination/ketchikan/trails

We see an occasional bear around Skagway in late May, but they usually are out earlier up the highway in the YUkon where it is actually getting warmer than it is down by the ocean in Skagway.

They are very shy at this time of year but curious, so if you are lucky enough to see one, just speak to it and the bear will disappear quickly.

DD

I have seen bears (from a distance) on all of my May cruises, but not when I was looking for them. All times, they were at a distance and not a threat.

Examples include hiking around Exit glacier, on a train into the Yukon, on a boat in Tracy Arm, and on a boat in Misty Fiords are examples.

One time we were on a boat observing a bear while it was sleeping and some jerk jumped up and down and yelled "I saw a bear, I saw a bear". Well, all of our observing ended at that point as the bear quickly ran away from us.

We see an occasional bear around Skagway in late May, but they usually are out earlier up the highway in the YUkon where it is actually getting warmer than it is down by the ocean in Skagway.

They are very shy at this time of year but curious, so if you are lucky enough to see one, just speak to it and the bear will disappear quickly.

DD

Dyea Dave was behind the wheel when we saw our bear last year in early May on our way back from Emerald Lake. How cool it was to see. But, I'm the Touron who scared away the porcupine by knocking on the bus window... 😜 Sorry everyone...how embarrassing. 😨

with my hiking, if I'm concerned about bears, which some areas are more common than others. I have with me, an empty soda can which I put in a few rocks. Normal to have it moving in your hands as you walk, making noise.