Cruising in 20 days-diagnosed with 2 cm gallstone- What would you do?

dna529

My worst nightmare has happened. We are cruising April 7 and I just found out I have a 2cm gallstone. I meet with a surgeon on Monday, who will most likely tell me I need gallbladder surgery. This is an elective surgery, and I have been controlling my symptoms with a low fat diet. Would you go on your cruise, knowing that you could possibly be in pain or worse if your symptoms flare up or would you try to have the surgery before the cruise? Yes, I have insurance, but this is my kids' spring break and we have had this planned for a year. :loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:

I had a flare up for the first time in mid December...went to my surgeon. He wanted to do surgery two weeks before Christmas and I said no because of my kids, so I scheduled it for January 9 and I was just fine I say if you can handle the pain with the diet I would wait and maybe schedule it literally right afterwards but you're leaving in 20 days to soon

My worst nightmare has happened. We are cruising April 7 and I just found out I have a 2cm gallstone. I meet with a surgeon on Monday, who will most likely tell me I need gallbladder surgery. This is an elective surgery, and I have been controlling my symptoms with a low fat diet. Would you go on your cruise, knowing that you could possibly be in pain or worse if your symptoms flare up or would you try to have the surgery before the cruise? Yes, I have insurance, but this is my kids' spring break and we have had this planned for a year. :loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:

I had my gallbladder removed and had zero pain. I was only out of work 5 days, 2 of which were weekend days. Everyone has different pain tolerance though, so I recommend asking your doctor's opinion. Something else to keep in mind, cruise food isn't the healthiest of food.

I had my first gallbladder attack 2 weeks before my cruise. Ultrasound showed lots of gallstones. Dr told me go on my cruise but watch what I eat. Everything low fat and small portions. Alcohol has no fat. I ate very carefully and had no problems. Been doing that since and have had no problems. As a bonus, I lost 35 lbs.

But only you can decide what to do. Discuss this with your Dr and surgeon.

About 20 years ago in January I had an attack and went through the tests. Took a cruise in February with no effects and then in March had the surgery.

Took vacation time and the day I had the staples removed flew to Montana for a week of photography.

Take the cruise and enjoy.

If you go, and under the circumstances, I think I would, but I would avoid alcohol as it can aggravate gall bladder problems. It seems everyone is different, some cant tolerate fat, others can, and I was one of those who could eat deep fried food, but onions and garlic would set me off. So you probably already know what you can eat and drink or not, but I would definitely be careful. Best of luck, and the gall bladder removal today is so much quicker recovery than many years ago.

I just experienced a similar situation. I went to the emergency room on Christmas Eve. A CT scan showed 2 gallstones and I had a cruise scheduled for Jan 13th. I met with a surgeon on 12/26. He said that he would be able to schedule the surgery the next week and that he was very confident that I would be just fine by my cruise date. He also said that he felt that most people would be fine sailing 4 days after the surgery. I had my surgery on 1/3 and headed to Port Canaveral on 1/12 for my 1/13 cruise. I did not have any problems. I did not watch what I ate on the cruise (had pork belly one night) but I did try to refrain from eating too much for the first couple of days.

It did not take too long after surgery for me to feel better. I was hampered a bit by a cold that I came down with 2 days after the surgery. I probably could have made my cruise 4 days after my surgery although I probably would have canceled if I hadn't had at least a week between surgery and the cruise.

IF you can get your surgery scheduled in the next 7-10 days you should be OK. I could have held off on the surgery as I had no issues after Christmas Eve but I did not want to risk being in the middle of the ocean and having an issue. A lot of people have one episode and then go months or years before having another. I would see what your surgeon recommends on Monday and then make your decision.

I was first diagnosed with gallstones and managed with only a few attacks for 3 years before one attack just wouldn't stop. That one sent me to the ED with pain that wouldn't go away and I had to have it out. Went home the next day and was up and around pretty much like normal the next. I think only you can choose, but either way would be fine. Either manage what you eat (which would be hard I think!) or have it out and rest for a few days.

Whichever you choose, have fun on your cruise!

Personally I'd have the surgery ASAP (this week) and then go on the cruise and have fun. For me it was only an overnight stay and by the next week I felt great. I wouldn't want to spend my cruise not being able to enjoy myself due to the side effects of a bad gallbladder. Surgical pain from the cholecystectomy is better than dealing with a gross gallbladder in my opinion!

I am with the others who said they would have the surgery immediately, if possible. Mine was outpatient surgery and 2 days later I was back at work. I did have to watch eating onions and fried foods, but that was a small price.

My gallbladder was removed and I regret letting them do it. First, it cost me $32,000 which was a huge financial set back. Secondly, I did something dumb which brought on the attack. Lesson learned too late.

Anyway, afterwards I learned it could have been prevented by taking organic, unfiltered apple cider vinegar daily 3 times, 2 T. each time, with LOTS of water. The vinegar dissoves the stones. So, I suggest starting the ACV today, don't eat dairy or alcohol, and schedule your operation after the cruise, but be sure to have tests done again prior as you may not need it by then.

I agree. Get it out before you go so you don't have any worries. The surgery itself is not too invasive anymore and it would be great to recover on a cruise vs at home. I described the recovery is feeling like you did 1000 sit ups the day before after not having done one sit up for years. It's not debilitating, just sore.

I agree. Get it out before you go so you don't have any worries. The surgery itself is not too invasive anymore and it would be great to recover on a cruise vs at home. I described the recovery is feeling like you did 1000 sit ups the day before after not having done one sit up for years. It's not debilitating, just sore.

Sounds no worse than a c-section and I've had two.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

I wouldn't say it is not too invasive. It still can be. My SIL had it done with the laproscope and was discharged the same afternoon. That night she was in excruciating pain and went back to the ER. It seems that they missed a stone that had lodged in the bile duct. She had to be cut open and had an 6 inch long incision. She was in the hospital for several days because of course she developed an infection. She was out of work 6 weeks because of it.

My Mom had gallbladder problems. She would only have attacks when she ate something really high fat before going to bed. She was able to postpone the surgery for years with just watching her diet. But, being the type of person she was, she had it out so she could eat whatever she wanted. Same reason she shot insulin unnecessarily so she could eat ice cream, candy, sugar etc. even though she was a diabetic. Her blood sugar was easily controlled with diet and an oral agent, but she convinced the idiot doctor to prescribe insulin.

I would do whatever is necessary to avoid surgery. No surgery or anesthesia is without risk. I would go on the cruise and be careful about what I ate. You can always get the surgery. My Mom's internist said she did not have to have it out and that lots of people live with gallstones. But, the surgeon said of course it had to come out. A surgeon makes his money by cutting. Always follow the $$$$.

Edited by DebJ14

I had my gallbladder removed by that robot procedure. I went home the next day with no pain at all - just needed to be gentle with myself for a few days but that was all. Easy peezy :D