Fishing in Ketchican

Cathy Young

We will be sailing on the Diamond Princess to Alaska in May 2006. My husband wants to go fishing in Ketchican. Princess offers a sportsfishing charter. Has anyone taken it? I read somewhere on the boards that if you book through Princess you can have them cook your fish on board, and serve it for one of your meals; but if you booked through an independant you could not do that. Does anyone know if that is true?

We will only be in port from 6:30am to 2pm, so probably 4 to 5 hours will be all he can do. I am afraid if he does an independant excursion that he may not have enough time to get back (if something were to detain them). Does anyone know who Princess uses for the "Ketchikan Sportfishing Expedition"?

We will only be in port from 6:30am to 2pm, so probably 4 to 5 hours will be all he can do. I am afraid if he does an independant excursion that he may not have enough time to get back (if something were to detain them). Does anyone know who Princess uses for the "Ketchikan Sportfishing Expedition"?

This is a total invalid concern. The Ketchikan independent operators get you back in time. I have never heard of a missed ship due to a fishing charter and believe me, it would be blasted all over these boards.

My family has gone with Northern Lights the most, an excellent operator. BUT verify what is in season when you are going. This is the benefit of booking independent, all your questions directly answered with factual information.

The ship contractors are sometimes packed larger boats. I have seen some go out with not enough room for everyone to even cast?? I do believe however only ship tours can bring back their fish, but verify this directly with Princess.

I agree with budget queen. I have never heard of someone missing there ship while go out with an independent. The only reason I think people should book a fishing trip off there cruise lines is that they want to pay more, like being on a crowded boat, and have no option of fishing for halibut and other fish. True Alaskan charters has fishing and wildlife trips, and Rouge and Northern are out there on the water a lot. You can not beat the fishing here, it was great last year and going to be another good season next year.

From time to time, I've posted on some of the boards asking if anyone personally has missed their ship while on an excursion. Not once has anyone said they did, but sometimes there are replies that they know someone, who knows someone, who once talked to someone who did.

I don't think a tour operator (even independent) would be able to stay in business if it got out that they stranded their guests.

jmo

-Monte

My husband and son also plan to fish in Ketchikan. If they want to go with an independent, are there any that will take just two and add them to another group? We've seen prices with three or four person minimums. What do you do besides go on cruise charter when there is just two of you? This is the one major thing that my husband is looking forward to so it needs to be a great experience.

This is the description of the Guided Wildrness Fishing that I took from the HAL brochure. It's about the same in the Princess brochure.

We had only four people + the guide in our boats. Everyone had their own rod. We chose to do the ships' excursions only because it really was more than just a few hours fishing -- of course they charged accordingly (lol).That said, we're doing the same excursion again next June.

If you do use an idependent, ask ahead of time if you get to use a rod the whole time or if you have to take turns. Sharing a rod was a real disappointment in Sitka.

"Experience an authentic fishing excursion in the unspoiled wilderness of Alaska's coastline. You'll be outfitted with waterproof boots, bib overalls, hooded jacket, hat and gloves. Then, glide into a breathtaking landscape aboard a stable, open-air, 20-foot skiff. Cast a line, and what you catch will become the fresh centerpiece of a gourmet campsite meal! With only four guests per boat, your professional guide customizes the excursion to fit your interests and skill level.

Along the way, you may view seals, eagles, whales, birds, porpoise, spawning salmon, and even bears. With quality fishing gear, hone your skills landing rockfish, red snapper, ling cod or halibut, or maybe even a world-class salmon. After fishing, the skiff heads to shore and a wilderness campsite, where a crackling fire awaits in the rain forest of ancient cedars and spruce. Here, you'll enjoy a gourmet meal of your own freshly caught fish, served atop a saffron infused, bouillabaisse-inspired stew (no shellfish). Savor firewarmed sourdough rolls with a garlic-aioli spread, a signature rhubarb and blueberry compote, and steaming mugs of coffee or hot chocolate. You'll leave content in the knowledge that you have experienced the Alaskan way of life."

We are booked on the Veendam in Sept. I have been unable to view any port excursions on the HAL website. I would like to know what the HAL price for the Guided Wilderness Fishing might be. I would like to book this trip or a similar one for my husband. I would appreciate it if someone could post the approximate cost. Thank you.

Mom23- Many charter guys will take out 2 or 3 or they will try and get another person to fill up there boat. You will not have to worry about them having to share rods or having a great time.

Jocru- I heard the charge for the guided tour is around 250-300 per person.

Thanks Alaskandude.

Any suggestions as to who to go with independently. I know they don't want to do a large party boat type fishing trip. We live on the Atlantic Ocean and I know here there are party boats that take out 30 or more. Not someting thta's condusive to catching fish.

Jocru - On the HAL web site, click on shore excursions (check mark in the center), then Alaska (on the right), then Alaska Cruises (on the left), then Featured Ports (on the right).

The Guided Fishing and Dining is $279. (But anyone who can get around that web site doesn't need a wilderness guide! LOL)

Thank you alaskandude and Suzanne123. Now that I have a starting point I can continue searching for the right fishing trip for my husband. We are traveling for the first time with HAL and doing a cruisetour with friends. Both guys have always talked about fishing in Alaska and we are hoping to give them the opportunity as a "surprise gift".

Archived