Cruised on EPIC - Finally... after 2 NCL cancellations (2/25/17 - 3/4/17)

DMH15

Hello! Putting my thought together since the cruise. Will get it started...

Review of Epic – 2/25/17 – 3/4/17

Forward Owner’s Suite

First off, the fact we cruised on the Epic was mind-boggling. I prefer the smaller ships, (or so I thought), and I had NOT booked the Epic originally.

Rewind to February 2015, NCL was rolling out the UBP, UDP, free OBC, free gratuities,etc. with bookings. Excited for these offers, which are ALL included with a suite, I booked the NCL Jade out of Houston for February 2017. Being a huge fan of the aft, I decided to try the forward for a change and make my own comparison. So, I booked a forward PH for myself, my sister and my niece. I had previously cruised in an aft PH on the Jewel with my niece and liked the room setup and figured it would accommodate the three of us nicely. We wanted to make it a girls’ spa trip with thermal suite passes. A forward suite with easy spa access a few floors directly above us fit the bill. Excited, we booked on March 1, 2015 and began planning.

Then NCL pulled out of Houston…

We decided to take NCL’s price protection offer to move our booking to the Jade out of Tampa, same week, same suite, same expectations, etc. We knew our easy and inexpensive drive to Houston (with free parking at a friend’s house) was now replaced with the higher cost of airfare and a hotel. NCL gave us $100 OBC for our trouble.

Then NCL cancelled that cruise due to the Sixth Man charter of the Jade…

This time they offered us another $100 for our trouble with price protection on either the Dawn or the Epic. Well… I had been on the Dawn and I did not enjoy it as much as the other NCL ships I had cruised on. I knew it did not have the heated thermal loungers I craved, (it has since added them). So I eliminated the Dawn. Epic? Our other choice? Hmmm. I had not envisioned myself on a megaship. But I started doing a little research and next thing I knew I was considering it. The penthouse suites that were available for booking only accommodated two… so we looked at the 2 bedroom and the Owner’s Suite. The Owner’s suite was just so beautiful and well-appointed that we ultimately decided to go for it. Of course that meant digging into our pockets some more. And now that we are back I must say that we have not regretted our choice for one second!!!

We began the research process again, wondering if this time number three would be charm… and YES! It was, since I am writing this review.

Airfare – It was like a game. Two of us were flying to/from Dallas and the college-aged niece lives in Austin. I coordinated travel on 3 different airlines and 4 different flights. Times and price were good to go.

Hotel and Transportation - we went with “goportcanaveral” for a bundle deal. Shuttle from Orlando Airport, one night at the Homewood Suites near the port, shuttle from hotel to port and then shuttle from port to airport. We were very happy with all aspects of this package. Our hotel was nice. We had two queen beds and a sofa bed, a kitchenette. It also included breakfast on embarkation day. We met several fellow Epic cruisers at breakfast. That was fun!!! We shared in each other’s excitement and anticipation.

Embarkation

Now, something about me… I love the planning almost as much as the trip itself! And I love embarkation day. I love being at the port early and settling in for the suite lunch after a short wait in the suite area at the port. Well, while having breakfast we received a text that boarding was delayed 3 hours due to the Epic and other ships being delayed by fog. I regretted having worn jeans and a cotton sweater as we waited in line quite a while. At one point they pulled Haven guests to a separate line, and we had some shade which helped a little. I felt for everybody, lines were long… but we all stuck it out. They finally let us into the building and the Haven area was very nice with chairs, refreshments and drinks. When we ventured out of the area to use the restrooms we saw many people who were thirsty. It would have been nice if they passed out paper cups of water. Surely this happens from time to time and it would be nice if the port was prepared for delays.

I am sure everyone on board was scrambling to turn the ship over for us. I never heard one complaint from the crew. And everything looked ship-shape when we got on.

I love sail-away! We learned there was a “champagne sail-away” in POSH! Free champagne too! Unfortunately, the spa raffle was at the same time, due to the delayed sail-away. I love to go to those… since I am very lucky… but we chose POSH. It was a sure thing!!!

The Owners Suite

I cannot say enough about the Owner’s Suite. The living/dining room/bar area/desk area are all perfectly situated and appointed. My niece slept in the living room. Bianca, our stewardess, made it up as a twin bed. There is a large half bath by the suite entrance which my niece used. She only used the large bathroom for a bath or shower. The large bathroom is luxurious. But, even sharing it with my sister, the transparency of the shower and water closet were too revealing for me. The tub sits in the window with aspectacular view. The Bvlgari products are nice. Love the lip gloss! The balcony is large and pretty private. There is access from the living room and the master bedroom. There are two loungers and two chairs with a small table on the balcony. There is a huge closet with access between the living room and the large bathroom. There are drawers and rods on either side. But the superstar of the Owner’s Suite is that master bedroom. The floor-to-ceiling walls that curve toward the front are spectacular. The king size bed is luxurious. My sister and I shared the bed and hardly knew the other was there. We had been worried… since we had not shared a bed -in like 50 years. Well… it was no problem whatsoever.

We loved the Nespresso machine in the suite BUT we had found out in advance there is no frother supplied. So my sister brought hers… it made all the difference! I also brought my own bottle of sugar free syrup… with no problems. Latte anyone?

I will mention our butler and stewardess here… since they were such a big part of our experience in the Owner’s Suite.

Maxi – What can I say??? Maxi is the best!!! A professional butler and a sweet man! His smile can light up the room and his personality is charismatic! He is always ready - ensuring his guests are having the time of their lives. If you ask for more Nespresso capsules he brings a bowlful. If you ask for water he brings six! He really pampered my niece. I loved that!

Bianca – one of our favorite two stewards of all time! Bianca was always present and made sure our suite was perfect! She is really sweet and very efficient.

The Haven

The Epic Haven is truly like a ship within a ship… and POSH is right there too. If you are someone who is looking for R &R this is for you. The atmosphere is slow and calm. I believe NCL has something for everybody. Some people like the party atmosphere and the crowds at the main pool but I like to relax. Our sailing had few kids, so I know it might not always be so relaxing!!! I like the way The Epic has the Concierge Desk. Besides Leah, the Concierge, there were 3 assistant Concierges that rotated. We really liked Eduard. We hope he gets promoted soon, he’s awesome.

As mentioned previously, we purchased spa passes but once I saw the workout area in the Haven, literally right across the hall from our suite – most of time I was totally alone. I also booked a 2nd massage for one of the two treatment rooms and it was heaven. But it was weird that I was waiting and no one was there… finally the masseuse came running in, about 10 minutes late. I read on CC after our cruise that there is a sauna and a steam room in the Haven… but we didn’t know it at the time… darn it!

I will review the spa on its own in another section.

Will mention the Haven Eateries and Bars here…

The Epic Club really was our favorite. Kelton Fox, Asst. Maître ‘D, and Rodney, waiter extraordinaire, were our absolute favorites. They were both so much fun and made our Epic Club experiences memorable. The food in the Epic Club was the best on the ship… although my first dinner, the duck breast was tough as a boot. The breakfasts were wonderful. I loved the full menu and the buffet. The almond croissants AND the chocolate croissants are wonderful. I love that they were tiny… less guilt!

The Epic Grill is a fun place to grab a casual lunch and the Epic Grill Bar is never crowded and the perfect place for another mudslide, which became my drink of choice.

The Haven on Epic is very different than on the Jewel. It really is nice! It is a step up! So glad I got to experience it.

The Crew

We love Pedro Serra! This was my third time to cruise with him. I am sad I will not see Maddie, his wife, and his little daughter when they cruise on The Epic in August. Maddie used to be on his staff and I met her when she was expecting their baby. Pedro is great at what he does.

Josephine in Le Bistro went above and beyond to make sure my vegan niece had two excellent dinners in there. In fact, she had a special dessert prepared for Katie with caramelized bananas and lemon sorbet that was as delicious as it was beautiful.

Hernan Rios, Restaurant Manager in Moderno is another that I have cruised with before and we had a nice chat. He sent over a nice bottle of wine. It was much appreciated.

Overall, the crew was excellent. Everyone I encountered was happy and upbeat. My niece did have one poor experience in O’Sheehans with a rude and inattentive server, but it was at 1 a.m. and they were 3 young people… but no excuse really.

To be continued...

Edited by DMH15

I wish the OS was in our budget for July but we are happy with the forward suite we booked about a year ago (next door to your cabin 17005). Our cruise will be very port intensive but I am sure we will spend time at Posh with our Unlimited beverage plan.;) Did your cabin have one or two balconies? How did you enjoy your forward facing balcony?

I wish the OS was in our budget for July but we are happy with the forward suite we booked about a year ago (next door to your cabin 17005). Our cruise will be very port intensive but I am sure we will spend time at Posh with our Unlimited beverage plan.;) Did your cabin have one or two balconies? How did you enjoy your forward facing balcony?

You will love it. We peeked in all of the suites up front when they were vacant on embarkation day. Your suite is actually a few over from ours. Full forward!!!

Posh is so nice. You will love spending time there.

We had one balcony. It was not full forward. It was the first one on the side. The bedroom and bathroom had forward views. Try and get a peek at it if you can. It was a wonderful balcony. We loved having coffee out there.

As much as we would love 17004 again it might me a stretch as prices keep going up. But I would love to.

I hope you get Maxi as your butler. He is incredible.

Can't wait to hear about your cruise when you return.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey Donna, I am happy to see your review! As fellow Sun lovers, the Epic is a whole different experience. I was hoping to meet you at the M&G but there were so many people there, I kept looking at everyone's name tag looking for Donna from Dallas! It was just too busy.

Anyway, so far it looks like you enjoyed the Epic. It is a totally different experience, right! I look forward to the rest of your review. I wonder whether we saw each other at Posh. Did you spend much time there?

Looking forward to more!

Jai

Hey Donna, I am happy to see your review! As fellow Sun lovers, the Epic is a whole different experience. I was hoping to meet you at the M&G but there were so many people there, I kept looking at everyone's name tag looking for Donna from Dallas! It was just too busy.

Anyway, so far it looks like you enjoyed the Epic. It is a totally different experience, right! I look forward to the rest of your review. I wonder whether we saw each other at Posh. Did you spend much time there?

Looking forward to more!

Jai

We did go to the M & G. I tried to walk arounds and say hi. But we did have a crowd!!!

We did go up to Posh several times. I'll bet we crossed paths!!!

We did enjoy Epic. But I will always put the Sun and my South American cruise at the top of my list. It was special!! I want to go back on the Sun again.

Thanks for the info. I will write a review when we return in July. The last time on the Epic which was years ago we enjoyed Posh. I should say the DH really enjoyed Posh as I could never get him to move! :D

Wish I was there right now!!!

Here is the continuation of my review:

The Food

We had theold UDP (truly “unlimited”) and access to The Haven Club so we ate at Le Bistro2 times, Cagney’s 1 time, Moderno 1 time, O’Sheehan’s 1 time (2 for my niece)and had dinner at the Cirque show – in addition to our meals inside the Haven.

Le Bistro –Very good. Mushroom soup exceptional. Miss the old duck entrée though. As previously mentioned, Josephine made it very special. Great atmosphere.

Cagney’s – As recommended we had the large filet mignon. Perfect. And I just can’t pass up a wedge salad.

Moderno -Good but not great. Sushi at a Brazilian Steakhouse? Loved the soup.

O Sheehan’s– fun for a snack. I had the fish & chips. Just right.

Never went near the buffet , but my niece had the Indian food and loved it.

Entertainment

Burn the Floor – A high energy great time show. We loved it. The two “intro guys” were hilarious.

Cirque –Exciting and fun. Great costumes and enjoyed the audience interaction. It is an intimate venue which lends to this production.

Priscilla –We almost missed this show! We had pre-booked it before our cruise, and I had my week totally mapped out. While talking to Pedro one night he asked if we had seen Priscilla and we told him we had not yet but had our reservation booked before the cruise. He said they had a new cast and the letter was in our room notifying us of the schedule change. We thought we had not received the letter but later found it buried!!! He got on his phone and had us scheduled. So glad! Great acting, especially the lead actor and those costumes!!! Bravo!!!

Howl at the Moon – It is just not fair that some people have just so much fun while working! Those dudes commanded the room, high energy, awesome piano playing and just a real good time. Get there early! Very crowded with a race to seats… we almost witnessed a brawl over it.

Never made it to the Beatles…. Our biggest regret… guesswe will have to go back.

The Spa

We purchased the spa passes before the cruise. In fact, we were looking so forward to the spa for the week. It was as advertised but something about it did not feel right to us. Perhaps it was the open concept. If you were relaxing on the heated tile loungers or one of the regular loungers it is open to the pool and water area. On our cruise there was one “clan” who were very loud. Some other spa guests told me they had complained about them making so much noise. On our cruise, with the exception of our ST. Thomas port day, it was close to impossible to get a heated tile lounger or a space on the balcony. People seemed to go there for their daily naps, camping out for hours. One evening we managed to get a space on the balcony but smokers below, (we could see the embers of their cigs as they smoked near the railing), chased us off. This is another complaint. I wish spa personnel would patrol the spa periodically and maybe see if anything is amiss that needs attention, such as loud people and the smoke thing.

I did go on port day and it was nice. I had scheduled a treatment of the seaweed wrap in the floating bed. That is my 3rd treatment of thiskind and it is wonderful! I used my 25% platinum discount and that was a great perk for me. Thanks, NCL!!!

Perhaps if Ihad been in a studio or inside room I might have a different perspective. Being in the Epic Haven where it was always calm the spa just seemed not as much. Also, I found the convenience of the spa fitness center appealing so I did workouts there a few times out of convenience.

I had a second treatment in the Haven… a massage and loved the convenience. Again, I received 25% off, as it was on GSCday.

Others we spoke to, friends we had met at the hotel for instance, loved the spa. So, I really think our perspective was some what skewed.

On Board Activities

Trivia -Pedro and his crew had fun things for us to do. I usually love, love, love trivia but I found the trivia in the atrium not to my liking. It was loud and busy. I much enjoy when trivia is in a dedicated venue. This is a matter of my personal preference. I mentioned it to Pedro in conversation. I understand the atrium has the big screen but Pedro or whoever is conducting trivia literally has to shout. And Pedro already has a gravely voice!!! Haha.

Bingo – OK, it is overpriced with low payouts but we got sucked in a few times. We didn’t spend too much so it was fine. It was just something to do to pass the time. It is what it is.

Deal or NoDeal – For some reason I just love this game. It is perfect for the atrium. It was so funny that at one session the first contestant took the initial deal and had $1,000 in her suitcase and the second contestant went all the way and had a penny in hers. It is a fun event whether you are picked or playing along.

Scavenger Hunt – My sister loves scavenger hunts so we played. Came in second and won a prize.

Escape Room– My sister and niece did this and loved it.

The Ports

Our scheduled ports were Tortola, St. Thomas and GSC.

Tortola – My sister researched and chose an independent catamaran day trip with Aristocats. It was a lovely day at sea. Our hosts, Peter, Jody and Betsy the dog were awesome. We snorkeled, had a great buffet lunch and learned about the area. The cost was $120 and I rounded it up to $150 with tip.

St. Thomas –I stayed on the ship as I have been to S.T. several times before. My sister and niece went ashore.

GSC – We were on one of the first tenders and secured great loungers near the water. My niece rented her snorkeling gear, and we were waiting for the taco bar to open… when… we were called back to The Epic due to weather/swells. The tender was wild and choppy. NCL refunded us each $14.50 and I understand my niece was refunded her rental costs. We were disappointed but understand it was all Mother Nature’s doing. We lookforward to GSC on another day, another cruise.

Miscellaneous

In retrospect, I am glad we chose The Epic. Would we do it again? Yes! We had a great vacation. The Haven is amazing. If you are looking for a relaxing cruise this might be for you. It was nice to try a new ship and two new ports… although we only got a glimpse at GSC.

As it sometimes happens, the beginning of our cruise was relaxing and slow and once we hit the mid-point it seemed to fly by. I have taken a few longer cruises and wish this has been longer. Why hadn’t I booked a back-to-back? Oh well. Guess it is time to start thinking about the next one.

Edited by DMH15

Priscilla –We almost missed this show! We had pre-booked it before our cruise, and I had my week totally mapped out. While talking to Pedro one night he asked if we had seen Priscilla and we told him we had not yet but had our reservation booked before the cruise. He said they had a new cast and the letter was in our room notifying us of the schedule change. We thought we had not received the letter but later found it buried!!! He got on his phone and had us scheduled. So glad! Great acting, especially the lead actor and those costumes!!! Bravo!!!

Never made it to the Beatles…. Our biggest regret… guesswe will have to go back.

Escape Room– My sister and niece did this and loved it.

That Thursday night performance was the very first for the new cast. That's the reason for the schedule change, giving them some time to rehearse on the big stage with full props. I was at the 10:00 show and seated amongst the former cast who were so supportive to their replacements, and even a bit emotional.

You do, however, have to raise an eyebrow about the way the "situations beyond our control" letter was worded. The end of their contract date had been known by NCL for almost nine months, and they knew the rehearsal schedule. But, hey, it's all good. :)

The Beatles show in the Epic Theatre was awesome! Bummed they didn't get to perform it the following week as well.

I did the Escape Room event in the Spiegel Tent on my follow-up sailing, and it kicked my butt. Was fun, but hard.

Enjoyed meeting you during the week!! :)