Email from RCCL re: Coast Guard Inspection

skohrs

Several on the roll call for our Freedom cruise leaving tomorrow (3/18/17) received an email from RCCL last night that said (in part):

"We would like to provide you with important information regarding the upcoming sailing of Freedom of the Seas departing on Saturday, March 18th, 2017. Prior to cruise check in, there will be a required U.S. Coast Guard inspection.

To enhance the check-in and boarding experience, we ask that guests arrive at the terminal after 12:30 p.m. "

Is this something that happens every week between sailings and a standard email, or is this actually something different? If I arrive at 10:30 as I was planning, am I likely to have to wait several hours for this "Coast Guard inspection"?

We went through same issue on MAJESTY last month. You will have to wait to board until the complete

inspection is finished. In fact, our sailing was delayed for one full day due to mechanical problems with life jackets and a few fire doors that did not completely close. RCL did provide compensation to us, but we did not board until

after 2 PM. So, you might want to plan accordingly....sorry.

We went through same issue on MAJESTY last month. You will have to wait to board until the complete

inspection is finished. In fact, our sailing was delayed for one full day due to mechanical problems with life jackets and a few fire doors that did not completely close. RCL did provide compensation to us, but we did not board until

after 2 PM. So, you might want to plan accordingly....sorry.

What was the problem with lifejackets?

Went through one on the Grandeur. It delayed boarding about an hour (around noon we got on). Keep in mind the Coast Guard will still be performing their inspection after you get on the ship! You will likely see them around and hear the PA test A LOT.

We decided to take our chances and showed up around 10:30. Things went very well for us, as the ship was cleared for boarding at 11:01! I know it could have been bad with hours of waiting, but we took the chance and it worked out this time...

Sent from my iPad using Forums