Train to Carcross vs Fraser

msled

I have spent a ton of time weeding through posts about the train in Skagway. I think I have a pretty good idea about a lot of it. But here are my questions...

- Is only taking the train to/from Fraser missing out on a lot that is between Fraser & Carcross, or is it much the same just longer? From the map it looks like it would be very scenic & different than the first portion of the trip.

- If you do take the train to Carcross does it always include Bennet and is this a valuable bonus above the tours that pick you up at the Fraser train depot and drive you to Carcross?

- I have only found tours that train to Carcross and then motorcoach you back to Skagway. Is there an option to ride the bus up and the train back all the way from Carcross? We will be in port on a Thursday (7/21)

- I think ultimately I am interested in a mini-bus (not the big motorcoach) trip up to Carcross or Emerald Lake and then train back from Carcross to Skagway. I haven't found this combination. Anyone know of this?

- Also, Princess offers a 4x4 Hummer trip both ways to Emerald Lake that is part of a 'group' excursion. This sounds compelling but would want to combine with a train one direction. Any idea if something like this is available to swap with someone else doing the same in reverse?

I know there are some real experts out there. I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Thanks

Edited by msled
left something out

Yes you would be "missing" something. :) It depends what day you are there, and the schedule.

• Available Dates: May 23 - September 9, 2017
  • Tour Duration: 8 Hours
  • Departure Days & Times
    • 7:30 AM Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday (Train to Carcross, Bus return to Skagway)
    • 9:30 AM Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday (Bus to Carcross, Train return to Skagway)
    • 8:30 AM Saturday (Bus to Carcross, Train return to Skagway)

Yes, certainly the Lake Bennett stop is a highlight, especially the ability to walk some trails which still have evidence of the past.

You would have to contact Princess tour. I highly doubt there is any "swap" option, but maybe you could just leave or pick up the tour at Carcross, with you separately booking the train. Doubtful however.

Budget Queen

Thanks so much for your response. I have found many of your posts on these boards to be helpful. We have decided to take the long trip that includes Bennet, train up, bus back. Picked Chilkoot because we can come back on a mini-bus rather than a motor coach thru Princess. Liked Dyea Dave but it appears with him you only ride the train to Fraser. Anyway, Thanks Again!!