question about cell service out of mobile...

chikenkicker

I haven't been on a cruise out of mobile in about 8 years, so needless to say i use my cell more now.

Anyway my question is at what point does it switch from the shore towers for AT&T to cellular at sea so i know around when to go on airplane mode?

My cruise is Saturday.

P.S. is there anyway to change my username on these boards? I made this name years ago on this boards, haven't been on in awhile and since then I use a new username for most things... tried to make a new name but no matter what email i tried it somehow knew i had an account and said i couldn't make a new one.

I haven't been on a cruise out of mobile in about 8 years, so needless to say i use my cell more now.

Anyway my question is at what point does it switch from the shore towers for AT&T to cellular at sea so i know around when to go on airplane mode?

My cruise is Saturday.

P.S. is there anyway to change my username on these boards? I made this name years ago on this boards, haven't been on in awhile and since then I use a new username for most things... tried to make a new name but no matter what email i tried it somehow knew i had an account and said i couldn't make a new one.

You can turn off roaming on your phone so you can be connected to ATT's network for as long as you have signal. Then go on airplane mode and use ship wifi. I am curious as to how far the signal reaches out into the Gulf

You can turn off roaming on your phone so you can be connected to ATT's network for as long as you have signal. Then go on airplane mode and use ship wifi. I am curious as to how far the signal reaches out into the Gulf

Not very far. I've spent a lot of time anchored off Dauphin Island, and maybe 10 miles offshore the signal is pretty spotty.