Alaska on a budget?

firstcruiserDB

A friend of mine has come to me for help in planning their port stops on their upcoming Alaskan cruise. I have tons of ideas for the Caribbean ports, however, Alaska is new to me. I'm hoping to get some ideas from Alaskan experts here at CC! (I've searched, but nothing much is coming up.)

This couple has saved and saved for their cruise cost. This is their very first cruising experience. It's difficult for them to find some tours in their ports that they can afford. They are wondering if anyone can give them some fun things to do in port that are not real expensive. The ports in question are Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan.

Thanks for any ideas!!

We too are cruising to Alaska for the first time on May 6th.

We've been watching YouTube videos of different shore excursions at the ports and they're very helpful.

If your friends have access to a computer I would suggest that they look on YouTube to help them make their choices.

There are so many things to see and do it's a bit overwhelming. I've never felt this way about any other cruise we've been on. lol. I love to plan vacations but this one is giving me "information overload" for sure.

The ports in question are Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan.

I can only give you ideas as we will be stopping in those places for our first time at the beginning of June. In general, on a budget kills any idea of a flight tour and depending on how tight the budget is, Whale Watching might be out as well.

Juneau - Mendenhall Glacier seems like the thing to see. There are a couple of buses (white or blue) that run there at $30 per person round trip. There are some walking trails around and another popular option is the Mount Roberts tramway. If "exploring on your own" is more their style, the daily rate for a car is just under $60 from some locations.

Skagway - we have been planning this as an in-town day as I don't think we are there long enough to get to Emerald Lake. Currently we have reservations at the "Days of 98" show and plan on stopping by the "Red Onion Saloon" for lunch (maybe a quick tour there as well). Then we will just wander around town and see what is there.

Ketchikan - this one I'm pretty happy we have a rental car booked. There are a couple of Totem sites that are in opposite directions and most tours go to one or the other and not both. Our plan is to head out and beat the rush to Totem Bight, drive on further to Settler's Cove Campground and walk a bit, drive back through town and see Saxman Totem Park, then head back into town and grab a bite at Burger Queen.

There are many free and low cost things to do in each port. Have your friends looked at this forum?

If you look down the page you'll see that this question has been asked and answered twice in the past week. Perhaps some of those responses will be helpful .

Read past trip reports, posted near the top of the page. Many are detailed journals with photos of sights and activities. Most people can't afford high end excursions at every port so read the reports to get some ideas that will work for their interests and physical ability.

Borrow Alaska travel books from the library.

Every town has a web site and use the site to promote tourism and vendors in their community. Many of them have visitor guides to download ( the web sites are listed in a HELPFUL RESOURCES thread, maybe on pg 2 or 3 of this forum).

Edited by mapleleaves

there are a few threads here about just diy'ing it in the ports..... I intend to do a fair bit of walking and hiking myself, in Juneau we have a car rental, in Sitka and Ketchikan we intend to walk and or taxi where we want to go

I can only give you ideas as we will be stopping in those places for our first time at the beginning of June. In general, on a budget kills any idea of a flight tour and depending on how tight the budget is, Whale Watching might be out as well.

Skagway - we have been planning this as an in-town day as I don't think we are there long enough to get to Emerald Lake. Currently we have reservations at the "Days of 98" show and plan on stopping by the "Red Onion Saloon" for lunch (maybe a quick tour there as well). Then we will just wander around town and see what is there.

How short a port day do you have? Generally most lines are in port 12+ hours in Skagway. If you rent a car and drive to Emerald Lake and back even with many photo and lunch stops it should be about 5-6 hours RT tops. I'm usually at Avis about 7:45 am for their 8am opening and am on the road by 8:15 am. My usual return time is between 1-2pm. This still leaves lots of time to wander around town

Ways I found to save money for Alaska....

• look at combo tours... they cost more, but likely cheaper than getting individual excursions
  • compare private tours with cruise ship tour
  • have lunch on the ship instead of in town.... warning this strategy will limit your port time
  • some have chosen to get a car rental
  • consider oceanview instead of verandah
  • look to pre/post-cruise hotels a few blocks away from the cruise terminal for cruise savings.
  • Seattle cruises may be easier... but you are missing out on a great port
  • don't skimp on Glacier Bay in your itinerary

Also consider which month for price....

• May and September will be the cheapest
  • May to July is the driest
  • June offers the most daylight
  • July is the warmest
  • I like July (so does Oprah).... there's a reason why it cost more.
  • September is discounted for storm chasers.

In Juneau, Mendenhall via the "blue bus" or equivalent = @$30 per person - I believe the Mt. Roberts tram is similarly priced.

In Ketchikan, the local bus is an option to get you to Totem Bight & possibly also to Saxman Village. (I haven't been to either, we just walked around Creek Street, to a local park, & the library when we were in Ketchikan.)

How short a port day do you have? Generally most lines are in port 12+ hours in Skagway. If you rent a car and drive to Emerald Lake and back even with many photo and lunch stops it should be about 5-6 hours RT tops. I'm usually at Avis about 7:45 am for their 8am opening and am on the road by 8:15 am. My usual return time is between 1-2pm. This still leaves lots of time to wander around town

We are in port 7a - 4p. While I would probably do it, I don't know if I want to drive two hours in each direction. Also it will take some heavy convincing of the DW to get her to agree with the plan (she is worried about the car breaking down).

I think we are fine with exploring Skagway on foot as we have grander plans in our other three stops.

We are in port 7a - 4p. While I would probably do it, I don't know if I want to drive two hours in each direction. Also it will take some heavy convincing of the DW to get her to agree with the plan (she is worried about the car breaking down).

I think we are fine with exploring Skagway on foot as we have grander plans in our other three stops.

The Klondike Goldrush NP has free ranger-led walks. There's a link to the NP web site in the HELPFUL RESOURCES thread , with info on tour times, exhibits, etc. If you're up to a walk, take the city bus to the edge of town, then walk to the Goldrush Cemetary where some of the crazy characters are buried. At the edge of the cemetary you'll find a trail to Lowere Reid Falls about 1/2 mile.

There's a walking tour map on the town web site that you can download. Lots of good info on that site.

http://skagway.com/travel/maps/

We're renting a car in Skagway to drive the Klondike Hwy...follows a 'similar' route as the train...we'll get our rental car for the cost of ONE train ticket.,,.and have the freedom to go where, when and for as long as we wish. Added Bonus...we'll have the car all day long...to go anywhere else we want to go...

We're renting a car in Juneau too...and the thing that sealed that deal for me with renting it was finding Juneau Car Rentals. They rent older model cars...higher mileage but they rent them for 30-40% less than Avis... I was concerned about the car breaking down/missing the ship, etc.. The ladies there have told me that they run their own automobile service. if you have a problem, just call them and they'll come pick you up. Well plan to be back in town 4-5 hrs prior to sail away time - allowing for any mishaps. Best advice I can offer when it comes to renting a car at either of these places is to get it reserved ASAP...rates only go up the closer to your cruise date...and the cars disappear!!! (which of course is why the rates go up...law of supply and demand...)

In Ketchikan, I had read that it's the best place to have a great day without spending much at all. Walk around town, up Creek Street...and take the free shuttle to points around town...including Totem Heritage Center...or take public transit to Totem Bight. ($1pp each way) I haven't yet decided which one of these we'll do...for now, keeping options open.

The Klondike Goldrush NP has free ranger-led walks. There's a link to the NP web site in the HELPFUL RESOURCES thread , with info on tour times, exhibits, etc. If you're up to a walk, take the city bus to the edge of town, then walk to the Goldrush Cemetary where some of the crazy characters are buried. At the edge of the cemetary you'll find a trail to Lower Reid Falls about 1/2 mile.

This is exactly what we did in Skagway. The falls are lovely and the cemetary very interesting. We also enjoyed the free walking tour. Just get your tickets early.

In Ketchikan you can ride a funicular up the hill to Cape Fox Lodge for $2 round trip. The view is great and the ride is fun. You can have a drink or lunch up at the Lodge, see totem poles, look around. When we did this we took the funicular up to the lodge and then hiked down "Married Mens Trail" that ends down by Creek Street. Alot of fun for not much $!

http://www.explorenorth.com/alaska/images/0147-cape_fox_lodge-funicular-1168.html

I'm a research junkie and a little cheap, so I've been reading a lot about things to do on our own. We are cruising on May 6th, too, Styles27. Ruby Princess?

I second the Juneau shuttle to the glacier. That's on my list. http://www.juneautours.com/shuttle-mendenhall-glacier/

This page has a link to a nice downtown Juneau map with points of interest. https://www.traveljuneau.com/plan-your-trip/maps-and-travel-tools/

Skagway and Ketchikan both have walking tour maps on their websites.

Skagway: http://skagway.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/walkingtourmap.pdf

http://skagway.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/downtown-map.png

Ketchikan: http://www.experienceketchikan.com/support-files/ketchikan_maps_downtown.pdf

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/support-files/ketchikan_maps_west.pdf

We are doing the train trip in Skagway, but plan to just explore on our own in Ketchikan (and Skagway after the train). The nice thing is that the towns aren't too huge and are very walkable, so easy and fun to find your own way around. Not to mention that everything around is beautiful.