Thinking Aft Extended Balcony, Is it worth it?

Dreamer115

An Alaska cruise would be good for an aft. It should never be tooooo hot on the balcony. Living in British Columbia I wouldn't hesitate on that cruise, but the Caribbean, hmmm, could get very hot. Now port or starboard that is my next question. Already one on here for port.

• 2 weeks later...

Pros: size of balcony, 180° view, mesmerizing wake, quiet location because little if any foot traffic.

Our first was on deck 7 on the Magic. No shade any time of day. Also little to no breeze.

Next 2 times booked deck 9. Overhang from Lido deck provided partial shade most of the day. We felt, but weren't bothered by, vibration while docking. Minimal noise from Lido deck. Didn't experience any soot.

I really liked the deck 9 and would book again if the price was right.

Interesting read here. I am doing an extended aft balcony on the CARNIVAL BREEZE for the first time coming up the end of August. This will be a B2B, so I will be in the cabin (deck 6) for 14 days. I was initially quite excited based on the recommendations of my Vaction Planner with Carnival. I am still excited about the view, but becoming a bit concerned now about: 1)lack of privacy, 2) intense sun/heat, 3) vibrations, motions. I believe I can deal with the vibrations/motion....I like to feel some movement. Let's oe know you are indeed at sea. Perhaps if I stay close to the balcony door, I can have and enjoy some privacy, as long as neighbors do not look over the divider....As for the sunshine, maybe I will get more use out of the balcony after dark.....

We love the aft balconies, have never had a problem with privacy or soot as some have reported. They do tend to get a bit warm so a good place to work on your tan. But you can't beat the view and the lovely sound of the wake, very quiet otherwise. Plus you can see both sides at the same time.

YES!!! I recently had an aft-wrap on the Liberty. I loved it!! I feel like any aft balcony will be a lot less windy. With the aft-wrap, it was really cool because on certain days it would be very windy on one side of the balcony...but then no wind if you just turn the corner. So cool! IMO if you can budget for it, then go for it!! For me, I typically have to plan awhile in advance to plan for the extra expense But an aft cabin, (especially the wrap) is always worth it to me. Unfortunately, I'm a last-minute cruiser so usually cannot get those special ones.

I will pass on the aft but very much love the spirit class extended triple length balconies! Aft is less private, has ash ( at least on the Splendor and it stains ) and is too sunny for me! Each to his own as they say.

We spent some time on ours and it was nice but we've decided they aren't our go to cabin for a couple of reasons 1. lack of privacy from overhead on some ships 2. depending upon who your neighbors are it could be a bad thing ( loud and obnoxious) . I may do one when we do Alaska just so we can soak it all in...but on our Caribbean ones...probably PH or OV for us.