3 night post cruise in the LA area

gckcswmo

The wife and I are sailing out of Long Beach on Paradise February 28 and staying for two nights before the cruise at the Coast Hotel. May not be 4 star but I have yet to read a really bad review...most are very complimentary...and you can't beat the convenience.

We are also renting a car when we get to LAX and did not want to pay for the rental car while on the 4 day cruise. Normally, returning a rental to a different location than where rented can result in outrageous drop-off charges. However, after much research, I found that we can pick up a compact car thru Budget at LAX, use for 2 days, and drop off at the Long Beach location for about $110 - not bad. On return, we can get another car at the Long Beach location and return at LAX before catching the red eye home that night for about $45.00. Looks like with the shuttles around Long Beach, it will be easy to get from the Long Beach Budget site to and from the hotel / terminal.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Many thanks for the informative posts - we will be in LA for approx two days after our cruise, staying at the Hilton on Wilshire. Need to know about distances and what we can fit in....

Basically I need advice on..

• Rodeo Drive [is that walkable from Wilshire?]
  • Are there any more affordable shops in the area [Gap/Banana Republic] ?
  • Graumans chinese theatre - can you park near here?
  • The Getty Museum - how long to drive here,
  • drive up to see the Hollywood sign [where is the best photo point?]
  • See a beach - the one with the body builders?
  • We have registered to get tickets for the Tonight Show but will not know that until the day I guess.....

thanks in anticipation for your help!

The foot of the fancy shops on Rodeo STARTS at Wilshire, so yes, you can obviously walk Rodeo from Wilshire. The question is, where on Whilshire will YOU be? It's a *long* road. I don't know where the Hilton on Wilshire is. Haven't been on Rodeo in a few years, but IIRC, there were no Gaps or BRs. But really, Gaps and BRs in L.A. are like the ones everyplace else. But if you really need a BR or Gap, they are easy to find in the nearby malls

There should be some lots nearby Graumans. Or, just park in the Hollywood/Highland complex and walk down the street.

Distance to Getty? Again, from where? It's along the 405, and norht of Sunset. (way up on top of the hill)

The beach with the body builders you are talking about is at Venice Beach.

I just took some visitors to the Grauman's Chinese Theatre about 2 weeks ago. A good place to park is under the Kodak Theatre. Look for the sign that says "Public Parking" and turn right on the street just past the Grauman's Theatre. If you purchase something in a shop, there at the Kodak Theatre complex, you will get a validation & the parking is reasonable. There are excellent but expensive shops inside that complex. The Kodak Theatre is where the Oscars take place & it's next to the Grauman's.

Be careful in Hollywood. It is a high crime area & I know because I worked there for many years. Be careful of hustlers, pick pockets, & thieves. One of my visitors had his jacket stolen right from under his arm as we waited to buy tickets at Universal Studios 2 weeks ago. A man next to him had his camera stolen. I'd plan to spend an hour here, looking at the footprints, the stars in the sidewalk along Hollywood Boulevard "The Walk of Fame."

The Getty Museum: A fantastic place & worth a visit. But I would estimate you would spend a good half day there. You take the 405 North to Getty Drive. It would take me no more than 40 mins. to get there depending on traffic but I've driven there lots of times & I'm familiar with the area. Once you park your car, you take a tram that winds up the hill to the Getty Museum. The views from the Getty are spectacular. On a good day you'll see all the way to the ocean, gorgeous mansions in the hills, the L.A. skyline and more. And the exhibits are wonderful. They do have wonderful tours of the garden, architecture, museum itself.

Santa Monica Beach and the Pier are worth a visit. Maybe someone else more familiar with Muscle Beach can tell you about body builders, etc.

The wife and I are sailing out of Long Beach on Paradise February 28 and staying for two nights before the cruise at the Coast Hotel. May not be 4 star but I have yet to read a really bad review...most are very complimentary...and you can't beat the convenience.

We are also renting a car when we get to LAX and did not want to pay for the rental car while on the 4 day cruise. Normally, returning a rental to a different location than where rented can result in outrageous drop-off charges. However, after much research, I found that we can pick up a compact car thru Budget at LAX, use for 2 days, and drop off at the Long Beach location for about $110 - not bad. On return, we can get another car at the Long Beach location and return at LAX before catching the red eye home that night for about $45.00. Looks like with the shuttles around Long Beach, it will be easy to get from the Long Beach Budget site to and from the hotel / terminal.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Cutiger - many thanks - we are doing likewise - staying at the Coast on the one night before our cruise, and then when we get back we will catch a cab to the Long Beach Budget site to pick up a car and return it to LAX two days later!! We get a 'deal' with Budget through work, and I have found on this site that the cab from the cruise dock to Budget should be about $40. Also find they are good for the 'one-way' rentals that we want to do.

Scampi and jsmeeker - thanks so much - looks like our LA itinerary is fully sorted now! FYI the Beverly Hilton is at the jct of Wilshire and Santa Monica Bvld and it looks about 8 junctions to get to S Rodeo.

little britain - I believe that the $40 cab fare you found must be for the trip from the terminal to LAX, not to the Budget site in Long Beach. From the cruise terminal to the Long Beach Budget location is only 2.2 miles per map retrieved from AAA. Also, in Long Beach there is a free Passport shuttle that runs in the downtown area that you should be able to take to Budget. You can find out about it and more at http://www.visitlongbeach.com - hope this helps....enjoy your trip.

little britain - I believe that the $40 cab fare you found must be for the trip from the terminal to LAX, not to the Budget site in Long Beach. From the cruise terminal to the Long Beach Budget location is only 2.2 miles per map retrieved from AAA. Also, in Long Beach there is a free Passport shuttle that runs in the downtown area that you should be able to take to Budget. You can find out about it and more at www.visitlongbeach.com - hope this helps....enjoy your trip.
Different cruise terminal I think - we come into San Pedro, and not Long Beach, and SP is about 25 mins away. Thanks for your help!

Wow - the LA area in 2 days - impossible - if you nail down the 2 -3 things you'd like to see that would help you with hotels

Disneyland - try the beautiful hotel on the grounds - there are two theme parks there now - you park at the hotel and never have to leave

Beaches - the Manhattan Beach Marriott is the most reasonable however the Marina Del Rey Marriott is much nicer and has nice restaurants very close by. You will also be close to Santa Monica - must go to Gladstones for crab legs on the beach!

High end shopping and restaurants - definitely stay in Beverly Hills. The Beverly Hills Hilton though is on the edge of Century City and traffic into BH can be a nightmare. Splurge and stay at the Beverly Wilshire.

Fancy hotel and low end shopping - easy access to highways stay in Century City. The Century plaza hotel was just sold from Westin to Hyatt and is very nice - there is a mall walking distance and restaurants like Houstons right there.

Cutiger -Scampi and jsmeeker - thanks so much - looks like our LA itinerary is fully sorted now! FYI the Beverly Hilton is at the jct of Wilshire and Santa Monica Bvld and it looks about 8 junctions to get to S Rodeo.

ahh.. yes. The Beverly Hilton. Not sure why that didn't click with me the other day, especially considering the Golden Globes were just held there Monday night and I was actually not too far away.

You are right. That's not much of a walk. very doable

ahh.. yes. The Beverly Hilton. Not sure why that didn't click with me the other day, especially considering the Golden Globes were just held there Monday night and I was actually not too far away.

You are right. That's not much of a walk. very doable

Wow - so a chance of mixing with the stars!!! I know Dallas very well - where are you from?

well I am sure you can guess I am from the Chicago area however I travel quite a bit to LA for business and my sister lived there for 25 years. Got to know all the fun and not so fun spots -
I love Chicago! Spent 6 weeks there once on buisiness and got to know that bar at the top of the Hancock very well!!!:D

• 1 year later...

Archived